MattP

Default Workbench adapts to circular saw & routers

Hi All

Just seen a Wolfcraft 1000 which claims to be able to turn a circular saw
into a table saw and likewise can fit a router as well.

Anybody tried one of these as a router/circ saw table combo? Is it safe to
mount a circ saw in this way?

Here's the link - looks pretty damn good though for £100, and almost too
good to be true.

http://www.wolfcraft.de/en/produkte/...etail36ea.html

Cheers

Matt

MattP {add mattspersonal before @} wrote:
Hi All

Just seen a Wolfcraft 1000 which claims to be able to turn a circular saw
into a table saw and likewise can fit a router as well.

Anybody tried one of these as a router/circ saw table combo? Is it safe to
mount a circ saw in this way?

Here's the link - looks pretty damn good though for £100, and almost too
good to be true.

http://www.wolfcraft.de/en/produkte/...etail36ea.html

I have one of those, or something very similar. It's not very good
really, I rarely use it as a saw bench and I've never managed to do
anything useful with as a router table.

The guides aren't well enough engineered to trust them for anything
but rough cutting and it's quite a bit of hassle to mount tools into
the table.

It's maybe not quite as bad as I'm painting but it's not wonderful.

--
Chris Green
PoP

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:01:03 -0000, "MattP" {add
mattspersonal before @} wrote:

Here's the link - looks pretty damn good though for £100, and almost too
good to be true.

http://www.wolfcraft.de/en/produkte/...etail36ea.html

Why bother? Spend £60 to get a proper saw bench which has an integral
jigsaw/router facility:

http://tinyurl.com/2zcv5

Free postage, apparently (though the advert suggests January). Barter.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Andy Hall

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:01:03 -0000, "MattP" {add
mattspersonal before @} wrote:

Hi All

Just seen a Wolfcraft 1000 which claims to be able to turn a circular saw
into a table saw and likewise can fit a router as well.

Anybody tried one of these as a router/circ saw table combo? Is it safe to
mount a circ saw in this way?

This one does at least show some guards and fences, however it's not
clear whether they are included in the price. Theyu could be
separately priced and made the total a lot more when you buy all the
bits.

It would be dangerous to mount a portable circular saw in this way
without proper accessories and guards. The accuracy won't be
brilliant with this type of arrangement - i.e. you won't do precision
cabinet making with it, but it might be OK for general DIY work.

Bear in mind the setup time. The setups on this type of arrangement
can be time consuming and involve fiddling with several sets of bits.
If you are only doing occasional work then that could be acceptable.

Here's the link - looks pretty damn good though for £100, and almost too
good to be true.

http://www.wolfcraft.de/en/produkte/...etail36ea.html

I have one of their Master 800 Workmate look-alikes. It is a lot
better made and more solid than the B&D ones are now - quite heavy
though.

I would suggest downloading the manual on the bench you have in mind
and look in more detail.

Cheers

Matt

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:01:03 -0000, "MattP" {add
mattspersonal before @} wrote:

Hi All

Just seen a Wolfcraft 1000 which claims to be able to turn a circular saw
into a table saw and likewise can fit a router as well.

Anybody tried one of these as a router/circ saw table combo? Is it safe to
mount a circ saw in this way?

This one does at least show some guards and fences, however it's not
clear whether they are included in the price. Theyu could be
separately priced and made the total a lot more when you buy all the
bits.

The guards and fences for a circular saw are included, my Skil Classic
fitted without any problems. You need extra (i.e. optional, buy if
you want) bits to use the table with a router.

--
Chris Green

wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

The router bits and pieces cost something around £20 I *think* but
it's quite a while ago so I wouldn't rely on that figure.

That's not a terribly clear question - "it is accurate enough for
close cutting?" It's fine for cutting, say, a 10" plank into two 5"
wide planks, also for cutting strips off the edge of sheets of
chipboard etc. For cutting large sheets of material you'll need extra
support though. I wouldn't want to cut a 1" wide strip off something
and expect it to be accurately 1" wide all along its length.

--
Chris Green