Frisket

Default cutting soil pipe

Hi, next job on SWMBO's list of tasks to stop me having a weekend is a new
bog. The existing one has an outlet almost at floor level. The soil pipe
runs across the littlest room about a fingers thickness from the floor and
the loo outlet enters via a "Y" in the middle ( crap description probably
but I can't do drawings on this bloody thing that look anything like they're
supposed to). The new throne has its outlet about 8" from the deck and it's
close coupled to its cistern. So , finally, as the new loo is going to be
closer to the wall and I'm going to use an elbow, the "Y" piece of the soil
pipe is going to need to be turned 90 degrees from the front to the top (if
you see what I mean). It would appear to be solvent welded so I'm going to
have to cut it then rejoin it but how? Presumably it'll need to be pretty
square and I can't see how to get a saw in as it's tight to the wall as well
as the floor. What about joining it back together - is there a rubber tube /
jubilee clip arrangement or will it require 2 couplings. Tried to interest
several plumbers in the job (like others I ain't too keen on the contents
of the pipe) but the only one who quoted wanted £40 / hour and said to
reckon on 5-6 hours - my arse!
Thanks for reading this far ( Tolstoy was an amateur at long tales) Richard

BillR

Frisket wrote:
[...]

I cut such pipes with a ordinary flat woodsaw, toolbox sized. If space is
limited then you may need to damage the plaster of the wall as well or try a
padsaw but that would be hard on the hands.
Always try to solvent weld the replacement as it will give you less worries
long term. You can get quite small cans or tubes of solvent weld glue.
Assemble dry and mark alignment with scratches first. Make sure the surfaces
to be welded are first cleaned with the propriety cleaner or acetone or
whatever.
You can get flexible couplings from builders/plumbers merchants to cope with
any situation but they tend to be quite pricey as they are meant as problem
solvers where there aren't any alternatives.

Connecting jets, shower arm direct to pipe Kevin Murphy UK diy 7 July 15th 03 11:10 PM
Washing machine - waste pipe limescale IMM UK diy 2 July 15th 03 10:25 PM
Burying gas and electric services in concrete. David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:21 AM
Drop on soil pipe? BigWallop UK diy 0 July 5th 03 06:01 AM
Have I installed new soil pipe branch too high?? Monkey Brains UK diy 13 July 4th 03 01:09 PM