will

Default combi 80 HW heating rads, lockout

Hi, I have a Potterton combi 80 with the following problems: the hot water
flow is heating the radiators when the CH is off, I would assume this would
be the diverter valve/wax capsule head, what's the best way to test this?

Also the boiler locks out with increasing frequency, I went through the
fault finding checklist in the manual and it pointed to the overheat
thermostat which I have replaced, this worked for about 3 days. It seems to
happen when the boiler has been running for a while with CH on and then
after hot water has been used and stopped when HW is requested again

It seems worse when the casing is on the boiler (I left it off for 2 days
while testing it) so I assume it's still overheating somehow?

The main pcb was replaced about 6 months ago.

I'm wondering if it's the fan that's maybe not working as it should, again
what's the best testing proceedure?

Many thanks

Will

Christian McArdle

Also the boiler locks out with increasing frequency,

Fix the diverter valve first. It may be that the valve has failed in a way
that prevents effective pump overrun, causing the overheat to occur. It
might not, of course, but it's a possibility, especially if you have TRVs on
all your radiators.

Christian.

will

ahh ok they all have TRV's so i'll start with the diverter, many thanks!

From: "Christian McArdle"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:57:06 -0000
Subject: combi 80 HW heating rads, lockout

Also the boiler locks out with increasing frequency,

Fix the diverter valve first. It may be that the valve has failed in a way
that prevents effective pump overrun, causing the overheat to occur. It
might not, of course, but it's a possibility, especially if you have TRVs on
all your radiators.

Christian.

Combi Boiler - water heating then cuts out P Lavers UK diy 7 December 2nd 14 07:44 PM
Can a combi safely be used for DHW with the heating drained? RichardS UK diy 6 January 7th 04 02:16 AM
Baxi Combi - Hot Water Whining Chris M UK diy 0 October 28th 03 08:29 PM
central heating probs mark UK diy 3 October 20th 03 11:35 AM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM