Steve

Default Cordless drill and DIY kit at B&Q

I just bought one of these drill and DIY kits from B&Q. I couldn't resist
it, at only £27.98.
Keyless chuck, variable torque settings, hammer action,14.4 volts, and loads
of extras. Seems unbelievable value!
The drill is a Performance, B&Q's own label I think. I don't need to use it
a great deal, so I presume they are up to the job?
How do you all rate them?

Andy Hall

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:53:35 -0000, "Steve"
wrote:

I just bought one of these drill and DIY kits from B&Q. I couldn't resist
it, at only £27.98.
Keyless chuck, variable torque settings, hammer action,14.4 volts, and loads
of extras. Seems unbelievable value!
The drill is a Performance, B&Q's own label I think. I don't need to use it
a great deal, so I presume they are up to the job?

It depends on what the job is, how well you expect the product to do
it and for how long.

How do you all rate them?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Steve

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

It depends on what the job is, how well you expect the product to do
it and for how long.

Well yes, I know that
I once bought a Performance angle-grinder, and did a small job with it. Next
time I got it out, it didn't work. B&Q replaced it no problem. The same
thing happened with the replacement, but the third one has been fine so far.
Touchwood.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Steve wrote:
I don't need to use it a great deal, so I presume they are up to the
job?

You're *exactly* the type of person they're aimed at. And it will work
fine for you.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Sol

"Steve" wrote in
:

I once bought a Performance angle-grinder, and did a small job with
it. Next time I got it out, it didn't work. B&Q replaced it no
problem. The same thing happened with the replacement, but the third
one has been fine so far. Touchwood.

i think you may have answered your own question!

I used to work in B&Q and this particular range was treated and sold as
a sort of "value" product. I would tend to treat the Performance range
as disposible... use once, then bin

--
Sol
www.beep.tk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Sol wrote:
I used to work in B&Q and this particular range was treated and sold as
a sort of "value" product. I would tend to treat the Performance range
as disposible... use once, then bin

I've got 7 different bits of PPPro stuff and I've not had trouble with any
of it.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Martin Wilson

wrote:

I just bought one of these drill and DIY kits from B&Q. I couldn't resist
it, at only £27.98.
Keyless chuck, variable torque settings, hammer action,14.4 volts, and loads
of extras. Seems unbelievable value!
The drill is a Performance, B&Q's own label I think. I don't need to use it
a great deal, so I presume they are up to the job?
How do you all rate them?

I bought the same drill about a month and a half ago. If you register
it on the b and q site you get an extra years guarantee which is more
than some of the top brands. I took along my mother to get 10% off the
drill using her discount card. Err. she did want to go by the way. So
about £24.

One of the best things about it is you get a spare battery so while
your working with one, the other can be charging. You know your
getting good value when the whole package is so heavy!

These 14.4v drills have battery packs that contain 12z 1.2v AA
rechargable cells. So when you think about it, thats 24 rechargable
batteries supplied. I believe these packages originally sold for
£79.99 but have been promoted at £39.99 for a while and now are on
clearance.

I've used it a fair bit now and no problems so far. Friend bought a
Bosch drill back along and that went wrong on the first go. I don't
think any drill is as well made as they used to be. My corded drill is
a Bosch of about 21 years old and still going strong. It can tackle
any job with ease and never sounds like its straining.This is easily
beaten by a friend's father's drill. Its a black and decker of about
35 years old I think with a metal case. Made in england and still
working well even though it looks old as hell. A job to hold it in
your hand for too long though.I'm estimating the age but he did say he
had a Ford Zephyr (or might have been Zodiac) when he bought it.
IMM

wrote:

[...]

I my experience Bosch are vastly overrated and overpriced.

---

IMM

"Sol" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in
:

I once bought a Performance angle-grinder, and did a small job with
it. Next time I got it out, it didn't work. B&Q replaced it no
problem. The same thing happened with the replacement, but the third
one has been fine so far. Touchwood.

i think you may have answered your own question!

I used to work in B&Q and this particular range was treated and sold as
a sort of "value" product. I would tend to treat the Performance range
as disposible... use once, then bin

What about the PP Pro range?

---