Martin Wilson

Default Cordless drill and DIY kit at B&Q

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:53:35 -0000, "Steve"
wrote:

I just bought one of these drill and DIY kits from B&Q. I couldn't resist
it, at only £27.98.
Keyless chuck, variable torque settings, hammer action,14.4 volts, and loads
of extras. Seems unbelievable value!
The drill is a Performance, B&Q's own label I think. I don't need to use it
a great deal, so I presume they are up to the job?
How do you all rate them?

I bought the same drill about a month and a half ago. If you register
it on the b and q site you get an extra years guarantee which is more
than some of the top brands. I took along my mother to get 10% off the
drill using her discount card. Err. she did want to go by the way. So
about £24.

One of the best things about it is you get a spare battery so while
your working with one, the other can be charging. You know your
getting good value when the whole package is so heavy!

These 14.4v drills have battery packs that contain 12z 1.2v AA
rechargable cells. So when you think about it, thats 24 rechargable
batteries supplied. I believe these packages originally sold for
£79.99 but have been promoted at £39.99 for a while and now are on
clearance.

I've used it a fair bit now and no problems so far. Friend bought a
Bosch drill back along and that went wrong on the first go. I don't
think any drill is as well made as they used to be. My corded drill is
a Bosch of about 21 years old and still going strong. It can tackle
any job with ease and never sounds like its straining.This is easily
beaten by a friend's father's drill. Its a black and decker of about
35 years old I think with a metal case. Made in england and still
working well even though it looks old as hell. A job to hold it in
your hand for too long though.I'm estimating the age but he did say he
had a Ford Zephyr (or might have been Zodiac) when he bought it.