Stephen Williams

Default Taps

Before I "splash" the cash...
Has anyone purchased taps over the web from www.tapshop.net?

Cheers
Steve

The Natural Philosopher

Stephen Williams wrote:

Before I "splash" the cash...
Has anyone purchased taps over the web from www.tapshop.net?

Yes, I think I got my kitchen mixer from them. Cheapo, not too bad.
Biggest problem was the threaded parts were not large enough to go
compeletely through a worktop - i.e. it was designed for a stainless
sink, not Belfast.

Quality good for price, but not ultimately THAT good. Good finish,
slightly loose bearings. One seating slightly naff since it needs to be
screwed down rather harder than the other to stop drips.

If on a budget, highly recommended., If going for absolute quality and
prepared to pay the price, try elsewhere.

But that was a single example.

Delivery was fast, and service good.

Cheers
Steve

Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams wrote:

Before I "splash" the cash...
Has anyone purchased taps over the web from www.tapshop.net?

Yes, I think I got my kitchen mixer from them. Cheapo, not too bad.
Biggest problem was the threaded parts were not large enough to go
compeletely through a worktop - i.e. it was designed for a stainless
sink, not Belfast.

Quality good for price, but not ultimately THAT good. Good finish,
slightly loose bearings. One seating slightly naff since it needs to be
screwed down rather harder than the other to stop drips.

If on a budget, highly recommended., If going for absolute quality and
prepared to pay the price, try elsewhere.

But that was a single example.

Delivery was fast, and service good.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the replies, bearing in mind the comments how about:
Amber Bathrooms at www.bathroom-tap.co.uk they give a "no quibble guarantee"
on taps and mixers, including ceramic disc valve taps.

Steve

Lee Blaver

Stephen Williams wrote:
Before I "splash" the cash...
Has anyone purchased taps over the web from www.tapshop.net?

Cheers
Steve

Haven't used this particular company, but it looks like they do mostly
Tre Mercati stuff. We have recently changed all our taps to lever type
ceramic (SWMBO has a problem with grip) and used Tre Mercati ones.
Quite happy with the taps anyway. Although I can see TNP's point about
quality, if you are comparing them to much more expensive taps, they are
better than the stuff in the sheds

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

John Rouse

In article , Lee Blaver
writes

Haven't used this particular company, but it looks like they do mostly
Tre Mercati stuff. We have recently changed all our taps to lever type
ceramic (SWMBO has a problem with grip) and used Tre Mercati ones.
Quite happy with the taps anyway. Although I can see TNP's point about
quality, if you are comparing them to much more expensive taps, they are
better than the stuff in the sheds

We fitted ceramic taps last time we did the kitchen and never would
again. After they had been in a couple of years they started to drip
like mad, and the plumbers merchants say you can't get new disks as they
are meant to last forever. One of them said that if I took the taps in
they would try and find a disk to match.

John
--
John Rouse

Lee Blaver

John Rouse wrote:

In article , Lee Blaver
writes

Haven't used this particular company, but it looks like they do mostly
Tre Mercati stuff. We have recently changed all our taps to lever type
ceramic (SWMBO has a problem with grip) and used Tre Mercati ones.
Quite happy with the taps anyway. Although I can see TNP's point about
quality, if you are comparing them to much more expensive taps, they are
better than the stuff in the sheds

We fitted ceramic taps last time we did the kitchen and never would
again. After they had been in a couple of years they started to drip
like mad, and the plumbers merchants say you can't get new disks as they
are meant to last forever. One of them said that if I took the taps in
they would try and find a disk to match.

John

There are mixed opinions of ceramic disc taps, especially in hard water
areas, but at least Tre Mercati do spares...

I'm not going to defend ceramics, but the kitchen mixer has been in for
more than 2.5 years without a problem, unlike the previous
"steel ball with hole" mixer which dripped after a year.

Time will tell if changing the rest of the taps to ceramic was a bad
move...
They do currently perform the job they are asked to though, namely very
low torque fingertip operation, without extended levers or excessive
movement.

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 10:35 PM
Problem with a mixer shower taps jay UK diy 2 November 11th 03 02:21 AM
Help! Insufficient head for modern taps grrrrr :@ [UK]CuteSpunkyLad UK diy 6 September 3rd 03 10:01 AM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM
Reluctant taps Liz UK diy 9 July 21st 03 09:30 PM