Rob Nicholson

Default Combi boiler not lighting up when running hot water taps

Not knowing too much about the inner workings of these, do I assume
correctly that there is some kind of flow switch inside that fires up the
burner when it detects the cold water tape running? Guessing there is also
thermostat in there somewhere.

Over the past month, it's got steadily worse from whereby messing about
turning the tape on/off got it to fire up to really not working at all.

CH side seems fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob.

IMM

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message

Not knowing too much about the inner workings of these, do I assume
correctly that there is some kind of flow switch inside that fires up the
burner when it detects the cold water tape running? Guessing there is also
thermostat in there somewhere.

Over the past month, it's got steadily worse from whereby messing about
turning the tape on/off got it to fire up to really not working at all.

CH side seems fine.

Any ideas?

The Ferroli Modena does not have the potentially troublesome 3 way valve.
It can also work in hot water mode if the pump fails. It is simple and
reliable.

---

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:31:11 +0000, IMM wrote:

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message

Not knowing too much about the inner workings of these, do I assume
correctly that there is some kind of flow switch inside that fires up the
burner when it detects the cold water tape running? Guessing there is also
thermostat in there somewhere.

Over the past month, it's got steadily worse from whereby messing about
turning the tape on/off got it to fire up to really not working at all.

CH side seems fine.

Any ideas?

The Ferroli Modena does not have the potentially troublesome 3 way valve.
It can also work in hot water mode if the pump fails. It is simple and
reliable.

The OP has not said what make and model of combi he has. There are 3 or
maybe 4 different ways the boiler might detect the water flow.

If the CH is working then the fault most likely rests with the flow
detector (or PCB just maybe). The diverter valve is unlikely to alter
whether the gas lights when a tap goes on.

Just for completeness here are some of the mechanisms that I know of.

1) Differential pressure on a venturi acts on a diaphragm which moves
something.
2) Nozzle acts on a paddle connected to a microswitch.

3) Flow drives a small turbine to give out electrical pulses.

4) Differential pressure cause by the hydraulic resistance through the
heat exchanger.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Rob Nicholson

The OP has not said what make and model of combi he has. There are 3 or
maybe 4 different ways the boiler might detect the water flow.

I'll check later and repost - it's not my boiler.

If the CH is working then the fault most likely rests with the flow
detector (or PCB just maybe). The diverter valve is unlikely to alter
whether the gas lights when a tap goes on.

There is a bank of lights on the combi itself showing pilot light, burner on
etc. What sometimes happens when the tap turns on is that the lights all
light up to the top (top is ignititoin) I think but then fall back down to
just below "burner running" light.

If that helps :-)

Cheers, Rob.