Darren Smith

Default cable to connect thermostat

what is the correct cable to use to connect a thermostat to a combi boiler?

Lurch

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:36:57 GMT, "Darren Smith"
strung together this:

what is the correct cable to use to connect a thermostat to a combi boiler?

Well, depends on which bit of the wiring you mean, and at what voltage
it operates. For mains wiring from the thermostats location to the
boilers location flat fixed wiring cables should be used, usually twin
and earth or three core and earth (6242Y or 6243Y).
For the final connection to the boiler is usually by flexible cables,
cored depending on your requirements. Also, the matter of using heat
resisting cables depends on whether the manufacturers call for it or
not, if you're unsure then use heat resistant.
The connection between these two cables would usually be either a flex
connection unit on the wall or a junction box somewhere close by,
although the former method is better.
For low voltage wiring, pretty much anything goes!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Darren Smith wrote:
what is the correct cable to use to connect a thermostat to a combi
boiler?

I'd use heat resistant 4 core flex from the boiler to a suitable junction
box, then triple and earth to the thermostat. The heat resistant 4 core
should be available from a decent PM or electrical wholesaler.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

what is the correct cable to use to connect a thermostat to a combi
boiler?

A modern boiler and electronic thermostat need just a 2 wire connection. I
normally use 1mm T&E lighting cable, with red being the input from the
programmer (or permanent live) and the black (with red sleeving) being the
switched live back to the boiler.

Older thermostats needed a neutral to operate, too, so needed 3 core cable.

Christian.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Older thermostats needed a neutral to operate, too, so needed 3 core
cable.

Given that some at least fit a normal backing box, it does no harm to run
an earth at the same time, ie triple and earth.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Christian McArdle

Given that some at least fit a normal backing box, it does no harm to run
an earth at the same time, ie triple and earth.

Well, I meant 3+E, rather than just 3 core, really. However, in any case,
all the thermostats I've used has proprietary surface mount plastic boxes,
so the earth CPC is not ever used.

I wish you could get programmable thermostats in standard light switch 1
gang faceplates, but I've never found one and I looked quite hard when I was
buying mine.

Christian.

Tony Bryer

In article , Christian
McArdle wrote:
I wish you could get programmable thermostats in standard light switch
1 gang faceplates, but I've never found one and I looked quite hard
when I was buying mine.

They have to stick out to accurately measure the room temperature. My
CM67 has a single gang metal box in the wall behind it.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I wish you could get programmable thermostats in standard light switch 1
gang faceplates, but I've never found one and I looked quite hard when I
was buying mine.

Mine's certainly mounted on a standard one gang box although it's surface
- I thought they all had hole spacings to allow that?

--
*Modulation in all things *