Dave

Default Changing the pump speed - is it safe?

Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be making
a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise gets less once
the house is warm.

The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up to 2
or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst pipes
or rads with the increased water flow.

Sorry for what looks like a completely basic question.

Thanks.

Dave.

Bob Mannix

"Dave" wrote in message
Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be

making
a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise gets less

once
the house is warm.

The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up to 2
or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst

pipes
or rads with the increased water flow.

If that were the case, I would move out quick! Seriously, the pump speed
will have no effect whatsoever on the pipes or radiators. The variable speed
is there so you can set the pump to be as quiet and understretched as
possible, while still doing the job.

OTOH if the pump is getting knackered and noisy, increasing the speed is
likely to make the effects worse rather than better.

So- try any speed you like, but you may be in for a new pump.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be
making a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise
gets less once the house is warm.

The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up to
2 or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst
pipes or rads with the increased water flow.

You won't burst any pipes etc, as the actual pressure the pump provides is
tiny.

But if you have an open system - the type with a non sealed header tank
somewhere - make sure there's no hot water or steam coming out of the
expansion pipe when the pump is running with the system fully hot. This is
known as pumping over, and will introduce air to the system which will
cause corrosion and even more noise.

Also, is there corrosion inhibitor (Fernox etc) in the system? This can
lower noise generally as well as protecting it.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BigWallop

"Dave" wrote in message
Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be

making
a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise gets less

once
the house is warm.

The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up to 2
or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst

pipes
or rads with the increased water flow.

Sorry for what looks like a completely basic question.

Thanks.

Dave.

Have you tried bleeding the air out of the system. Start at the highest
radiator and work your way down to the lowest. Remember to check for
bleeder valves around the boiler pipework as well.

If the sound is a slight hammering or ticking noise, then it could just be
the pipework heating up and expanding.

Tim Mitchell

In article , BigWallop
writes

"Dave" wrote in message
Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be

making
a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise gets less

once
the house is warm.
The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up to 2
or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst

pipes
or rads with the increased water flow.
Sorry for what looks like a completely basic question.
Thanks.
Dave.

If the sound is a slight hammering or ticking noise, then it could just be
the pipework heating up and expanding.

A "slight hammering", now there's a phrase to conjure with!
--
Tim Mitchell

BigWallop

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , BigWallop
writes

"Dave" wrote in message
Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be

making
a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise gets less

once
the house is warm.
The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up

to 2
or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst

pipes
or rads with the increased water flow.
Sorry for what looks like a completely basic question.
Thanks.
Dave.

If the sound is a slight hammering or ticking noise, then it could just

be
the pipework heating up and expanding.

A "slight hammering", now there's a phrase to conjure with!

Tim Mitchell

That's as opposed to a BigWallop. :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Kev Parkin

"Dave" wrote in message
Before I go and do this I thought I'd ask here. My pump seems to be

making
a bit of a racket whilst the system is warming up - the noise gets less

once
the house is warm.
The pump is running at it's slowest speed. Is it safe to crack it up to 2
or 3 to see if that gets rid of the noise or am I likely to get burst

pipes
or rads with the increased water flow.
Sorry for what looks like a completely basic question.
Thanks.
Dave.

If the sound is a slight hammering or ticking noise, then it could just be
the pipework heating up and expanding.

A "slight hammering", now there's a phrase to conjure with!

Talking pumps, has anyone any experience of the Grundfos alpha+

The website looks good - is the pump as good?

http://www.grundfos-www.com/alpha/frames_html.htm

Kev
Toby

Kev Parkin wrote:

The website looks good - is the pump as good?

http://www.grundfos-www.com/alpha/frames_html.htm

Blimey charlie! I don't know any installers that look like that, or are
their 'Alpha Force' providing a crack rapid response emergency team.

--
Toby.

PoP

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:55:17 -0000, "Toby"
wrote:

http://www.grundfos-www.com/alpha/frames_html.htm

Blimey charlie! I don't know any installers that look like that, or are
their 'Alpha Force' providing a crack rapid response emergency team.

I've just discovered a problem. No make that multiple problems. On my
CH pump circuit. I need assistance right now

Good bit of marketing though - using rather beautiful young ladies in
the ad - you'd never connect them with "pumping" though would you?

PoP

N. Thornton

Grundfos site (c):

Once a circulator pump has been installed, it often makes good economic sense to disconnect it for longer periods of time, e.g. during summer.

Are they for real?

Regards, NT