Caroline Honey

Default Replacing wylex mcb

I need to replace an mcb in a wylex consumer unit.Having taken off the front
panel anb undone top and bottom screws of exsisting mcb i can't seem to
remove it from the panel. Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

Chris Oates

"Caroline Honey" wrote in message
I need to replace an mcb in a wylex consumer unit.Having taken off the

front
panel anb undone top and bottom screws of exsisting mcb i can't seem to
remove it from the panel. Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

'usually' there is a spring loaded clip holding
the MCB to the rail

ARWadsworth

"Caroline Honey" wrote in message
I need to replace an mcb in a wylex consumer unit.Having taken off the

front
panel anb undone top and bottom screws of exsisting mcb i can't seem to
remove it from the panel. Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

..
With the main switch off, have a look at the top of the MCB for a little
metal clip. Lift this with a screwdriver and the MCB should move forwards at
the top end allowing you to lift it up and out of the CU. I am sure some
older CUs had MCBs that had a clip at the bottom so look at both ends.

--
Adam

BillR

.
With the main switch off, have a look at the top of the MCB for a
little metal clip. Lift this with a screwdriver and the MCB should
move forwards at the top end allowing you to lift it up and out of
the CU. I am sure some older CUs had MCBs that had a clip at the
bottom so look at both ends.

The latest NH Wylex CUs don't use the bottom spring clip.
They hook over the top rails and are held in by the screw to the busbar.
As this is peculiar to Wylex it seems you have to replace with Wylex mcb not
another make

Chris Oates

"BillR" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Makes wonder why they adopted the DIN rail as
a method of attachment

Nick Smith

The latest NH Wylex CUs don't use the bottom spring clip.
They hook over the top rails and are held in by the screw to the busbar.
As this is peculiar to Wylex it seems you have to replace with Wylex mcb

not
another make

Makes wonder why they adopted the DIN rail as
a method of attachment

Errrr - to FORCE you to use their MCBs perhaps ????

Nick

BillR

Nick Smith wrote:
The latest NH Wylex CUs don't use the bottom spring clip.
They hook over the top rails and are held in by the screw to the
busbar. As this is peculiar to Wylex it seems you have to replace
with Wylex mcb not another make

Makes wonder why they adopted the DIN rail as
a method of attachment

Errrr - to FORCE you to use their MCBs perhaps ????

Nick

Their mcbs are DIN rail compatible. However, they seem to have an extra
connection slot in front of the DIN rail one. This fits their busbar and
holds the mcb in.
It is a very convenient arrangement.
I looked at MK mcbs in a store and they don't appear to have this extra slot
so wouldn't probably fit the Wylex busbar. I may be wrong of course..
I don't know the din standard details, but does it actually say anything
about how the busbar should be arranged? Every manufacturer may be able to
do their own thing..

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BillR" writes:
Their mcbs are DIN rail compatible. However, they seem to have an extra
connection slot in front of the DIN rail one. This fits their busbar and
holds the mcb in.
It is a very convenient arrangement.
I looked at MK mcbs in a store and they don't appear to have this extra slot
so wouldn't probably fit the Wylex busbar. I may be wrong of course..
I don't know the din standard details, but does it actually say anything
about how the busbar should be arranged? Every manufacturer may be able to
do their own thing..

The busbar connections still seem to vary significantly between
manufacturers. What has improved over the last 10 years or so is
the distance from the DIN rail to the front face and the size of
the front face opening has become more standard than it once was.

--
Andrew Gabriel