Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Running notebook off 5V USB supply

I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port so that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V USB female will power the notebook?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Simon Mason wrote :
I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port so that a
male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V USB female will
power the notebook?

No!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2016 15:13, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port
so that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V
USB female will power the notebook?

How does it normally accept power? Check the manual for info.

My Asus T100 (not the liquid metal Terminator) only accepts its power
from an external micro USB PSU connector. Needs a 2.1A one too or the
thing loses charge if run whilst charging from a lesser unit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2016 15:13, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port
so that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V
USB female will power the notebook?

Not in a useful way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:

I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port
so that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V
USB female will power the notebook?

The 19V PSU is rated for 65W, if you wanted to get that much power at 5V
port, it would require 13A, how thin would you like your USB lead?

Even with type C ports, that support higher voltages, the list of
laptops that support charging over USB is pretty short
latest macbook
google chromebook pixel
HP spectre X2
latest dell xps13
others?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

The 19V PSU is rated for 65W, if you wanted to get that much power at 5V
port, it would require 13A, how thin would you like your USB lead?

You could charge at it 1A, it would only take thirteen times as long

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 October 2016 15:39:21 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port
so that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V
USB female will power the notebook?

The 19V PSU is rated for 65W, if you wanted to get that much power at 5V
port, it would require 13A, how thin would you like your USB lead?

Fair enough - when I go to Penzance on Monday I will have to take my mains charger on the train.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port so
that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V USB
female will power the notebook?

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

He's in training to be City Of Culture Usenet Ambassador ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No.

Are you sure the notebook runs on 5 v?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port so that
a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V USB female will
power the notebook?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

He's in training to be City Of Culture Usenet Ambassador ...

Presumably the sort of culture that grows in Petri dishes.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 October 2016 17:03:10 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port so
that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V USB
female will power the notebook?

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

Watch for the next one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/16 17:17, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

He's in training to be City Of Culture Usenet Ambassador ...

obviously he works for the EU.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the
USB port so that a male USB to male USB cable with one
end connected to a 5V USB female will power the notebook?

Nope.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 17:17:13 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

He's in training to be City Of Culture Usenet Ambassador ...

So at the moment he is a City Usenet New Trainee.

G Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

He's in training to be City Of Culture Usenet Ambassador ...

So at the moment he is a City Usenet New Trainee.

That pretty much sums him up yea.
What kinda prick can't execute a successful suicide?
It beggars belief, still, he prolly gives his local A&E a good chortle.
That guy with the millionaire watch is here again, Willy ******, how many
hundredweight of spuds, light bulbs, TV Choices and coleslaw has he stuffed
up his arse THIS week.