Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External or internal solid wood doors

What is the main practical difference between an internal or external
solid wood door if the recommended treatment before and after
installation appears to be the same? They both need sealing and
painting. In general, it appears that the external doors are thicker
(for security?) than the internal doors.

I have to replace a summerhouse door which is rotting in places. The
current door is about 178 x 79 cm, and 30mm thick, possibly made from
Western Red Cedar like the rest of the summerhouse, though maybe not as
WRC is reasonably rot proof.. External doors are 40mm+ thick, and "shed"
doors are only around 20mm. I was wondering about using an internal pine
door around 30mm thick, treated as though it was an external door.

I suppose I could make a completely new door from tongue and groove,
with thicker stiles and rails, but it would be simpler if I could get a
ready-made door and plane to size if necessary.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 October 2016 11:08:41 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

An external (timber?) door should have a piece of wood nailed and glued with the grain horizontal along the top of it to keep the rain/damp out of the end grain.

Unnecessary on an internal door.

More care needed with finish/painting on external door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/16 08:04, harry wrote:
[...]

Makes sense. Thanks.

--