Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can someone ID this experiment

A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A.
A single drop from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in
the middle of liquid A.
Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar (ie
horizontally)!

It could be something dispersed from liquid A to the sides - am not
sure. But the effect was dramatic anyway. Wish I could recall what
the liquids were - or even what the experiment was all about. Anyone?

Did I just imagine it all!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael newport wrote:

A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A.
A single drop from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in
the middle of liquid A.
Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar

Sounds like the physics experiment to measure the surface area a single
drop of oil spreads to, in a container where the surface of the water
was dusted with lycopodium powder, and hence estimate the molecular
thickness of the oil film.

http://practicalphysics.org/introducing-oil-film-experiment.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 26/10/2016, michael newport supposed :
A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A.
A single drop from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in
the middle of liquid A.
Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar (ie
horizontally)!

It could be something dispersed from liquid A to the sides - am not
sure. But the effect was dramatic anyway. Wish I could recall what
the liquids were - or even what the experiment was all about. Anyone?

Did I just imagine it all!

A thin film of oil on water, with a detergent mix in B?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 26/10/2016, michael newport supposed :
A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A. A single drop
from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in
the middle of liquid A.
Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar (ie
horizontally)!
It could be something dispersed from liquid A to the sides - am not
sure. But the effect was dramatic anyway. Wish I could recall what
the liquids were - or even what the experiment was all about. Anyone?

Did I just imagine it all!

A thin film of oil on water, with a detergent mix in B?

That's what I thought. Detergent breaking surface tension, or something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2016 13:20, michael newport wrote:
A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A.
A single drop from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in
the middle of liquid A.
Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar (ie
horizontally)!

It could be something dispersed from liquid A to the sides - am not
sure. But the effect was dramatic anyway. Wish I could recall what
the liquids were - or even what the experiment was all about. Anyone?

Did I just imagine it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0o7H6dXSU

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 13:20:38 +0100, "michael newport"
wrote:

A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A.
A single drop from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in
the middle of liquid A.
Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar (ie
horizontally)!

It could be something dispersed from liquid A to the sides - am not
sure. But the effect was dramatic anyway. Wish I could recall what
the liquids were - or even what the experiment was all about. Anyone?

Did I just imagine it all!

Dust/pepper on water, pulled to the sides by detergetn?

https://youtu.be/36pmJH7vVFA

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/16 15:00, Chris Hogg wrote:

I caught sight of this in the column of Youtube videos down the side:
http://tinyurl.com/hf8az9e Blue Peter, eat your heart out!

But fails as no 'sticky back plastic' present!

Here's an interesting project that uses some of that to extend the
viewable screen area on a laptop.

Upcycling never looked so good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfirQC99xPc

Bit too much glue for my liking.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:00:47 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

No water repellent can do this sort of thing.
I still find that plastic foam demo in a paper cup rather creepy myself.
The nylon thread one is pretty cool though.

Brian

Ah - great replies tvm - it was real. I did look for it first 'onest

Archery Experiment Jon Elson Metalworking 5 January 28th 10 04:09 PM
Experiment Bob Crawford Woodturning 7 May 14th 09 08:19 PM
Chemical experiment not going well Gene[_2_] Metalworking 2 December 9th 08 04:08 AM
Vac Experiment 2 [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 16th 05 12:35 AM
experiment results so far... [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 2nd 05 10:38 PM