Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homebase

Just popped into our local Homebase for a couple of run of the mill things. There does seem a lot more useful stuff around and less fluffy cushions (although there are still some around). There seems a lot of tools branded Craftright and I wonder if these are the in house brand for the new owners. Lots of shelves and racks being emptied and cardboard boxes about as if a lot of stuff is being changed. Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing with one customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people in there buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think of opening another till!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 13:45:35 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing with one customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people in there buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think of opening another till!

Like the Sainsbury's next door - I get them to deliver to me.
No queueing at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:45:33 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing with one
customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people in there
buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think of opening
another till!

I've just been learning about how Aldi handle this. At the start of the
day, a number of employees are given a 'queue number' from 1 to (number
of tills). If it gets busy, employee on existing till pushes a button and
it pages the next on the list, who has to stop what they're doing and
hotfoot it for their till.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 13:45, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Just popped into our local Homebase for a couple of run of the mill
things. There does seem a lot more useful stuff around and less
fluffy cushions (although there are still some around). There seems a
lot of tools branded Craftright and I wonder if these are the in
house brand for the new owners. Lots of shelves and racks being
emptied and cardboard boxes about as if a lot of stuff is being
changed. Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing
with one customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people
in there buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think
of opening another till!

Richard

Looks like the Bunnings influence working?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 15:37, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:45:33 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing with one
customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people in there
buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think of opening
another till!

I've just been learning about how Aldi handle this. At the start of the
day, a number of employees are given a 'queue number' from 1 to (number
of tills). If it gets busy, employee on existing till pushes a button and
it pages the next on the list, who has to stop what they're doing and
hotfoot it for their till.

I think Lidl must have some sort of automated system - which doesn't
work very well! On a number of occasions, I've heard a message like
"Please use Till No. 4" - and then, what seems like 30 seconds later,
"Till No. 4 is closing, please use one of the other tills"!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/18/2016 5:27 PM, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

The illuminated till numbers at my local Lidl are good, but I had the
impression they are operated by the manager who redirects the staff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
I've just been learning about how Aldi handle this. At the start of the
day, a number of employees are given a 'queue number' from 1 to (number
of tills). If it gets busy, employee on existing till pushes a button
and it pages the next on the list, who has to stop what they're doing
and hotfoot it for their till.

Ah, so that explains why you often see a cardboard box full of, for
example, chicken legs warming up nicely, unattended in the aisle.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:45:33 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing with one
customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people in there
buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think of opening
another till!

I've just been learning about how Aldi handle this. At the start of the
day, a number of employees are given a 'queue number' from 1 to (number
of tills). If it gets busy, employee on existing till pushes a button and
it pages the next on the list, who has to stop what they're doing and
hotfoot it for their till.

No one else does their tills like Aldi does. Typical krauts.

Too stupid to have self checkouts tho.

Homebase sale GB UK diy 10 August 30th 16 10:38 AM
Aussies buy Homebase Martin Bonner UK diy 2 January 28th 16 09:56 PM
GU10 LED - From Homebase DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 13 October 27th 13 09:13 PM
Homebase Scabbydug UK diy 32 October 30th 06 09:29 AM
Homebase ? Colin Wilson UK diy 13 January 8th 06 11:42 PM