Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Homebase sale

Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had a 1kw SDS+
drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 16:50:27 +0100, GB wrote:

Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had a 1kw SDS+
drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

As a slight aside to that, is it the 'Bunnings Effect' (TM) that H/B's
prices now seem to have more in whole pounds instead of £x.99 and also
there seem to be some unusual prices like £x.74 and £y.48?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:

is it the 'Bunnings Effect' (TM) that H/B's
prices now seem to have more in whole pounds instead of £x.99

Not looked enough to notice that.

there seem to be some unusual prices like £x.74 and £y.48?

Other shops use that as a sign it's an end-of-line item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote
GB wrote

Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power
tools. None of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had
a 1kw SDS+ drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

As a slight aside to that, is it the 'Bunnings Effect' (TM) that H/B's
prices now seem to have more in whole pounds instead of £x.99 and
also there seem to be some unusual prices like £x.74 and £y.48?

Bunnings certainly dont play silly buggers with $x.99 prices here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I get that this won't be Makita, but are we talking consumer B&D, Aldidl or
Poundland quality here? In other words, is it any good for occasional use?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
GB wrote:
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I get that this won't be Makita, but are we talking consumer B&D, Aldidl
or Poundland quality here? In other words, is it any good for
occasional use?

I'd ask if they have the 3 year money back warranty you get with Aldidl?
My theory is their stuff is rather better built because of this. Because
I've never needed to use it.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/08/2016 23:47, Theo wrote:
GB wrote:
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I get that this won't be Makita, but are we talking consumer B&D, Aldidl or
Poundland quality here? In other words, is it any good for occasional use?

Theo

The bloke behind the counter said they are made by Worx. The drill seems
okay quality. Plastic gears, obviously, but good for occasional use. The
reciprocating saw looks okay, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
Theo wrote:
GB wrote:
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I get that this won't be Makita, but are we talking consumer B&D, Aldidl
or Poundland quality here? In other words, is it any good for
occasional use?

I'd ask if they have the 3 year money back warranty you get with Aldidl?
My theory is their stuff is rather better built because of this. Because
I've never needed to use it.

2 year guarantee on the Guild stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had a 1kw SDS+
drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

I'm afraid they are not having a sale at my local Homebase. The
reciprocating saw was still £46, and the assistant just said "under our
new owners all our prices are as low as they can possibly be".
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/08/2016 16:01, Bill wrote:
In message , GB
writes
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had a 1kw SDS+
drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

I'm afraid they are not having a sale at my local Homebase. The
reciprocating saw was still £46, and the assistant just said "under our
new owners all our prices are as low as they can possibly be".

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...ing-saw-464516

Priced at £24. Shame they didn't check online, but you can order it c+c.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 29/08/2016 16:01, Bill wrote:
In message , GB
writes
Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None
of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had a 1kw SDS+
drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

I'm afraid they are not having a sale at my local Homebase. The
reciprocating saw was still £46, and the assistant just said "under our
new owners all our prices are as low as they can possibly be".

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...-electric-reci
procating-saw-464516

Priced at £24. Shame they didn't check online, but you can order it c+c.

I'm now the proud owner of a reciprocating saw, thanks. The very jolly
man who accompanied me to the power tools area told me it's a bit
chaotic since the takeover "but we're getting there".

I also invested £9.93 in a basic battery drill.
--
Bill

Homebase Prices The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 February 1st 12 03:45 PM
Homebase Scam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 January 23rd 07 11:19 PM
Homebase Scabbydug UK diy 32 October 30th 06 09:29 AM
Homebase ? Colin Wilson UK diy 13 January 8th 06 11:42 PM
FS: two complete homebase stores - quick sale required . UK diy 1 January 8th 06 12:19 AM