Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Price for a new double gaze window

Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost £100
or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.
Want to replace frame and window with PVC double (possibly triple) glazed..
Located on 1st floor but presume can be done from inside.
I will put out an ad in gumtree or similar so not going through the
major companies hoping this should be cheaper.
Located central Scotland.

Any thoughts on costs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost £100
or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.

Online quote for supply only (I doubt transport from bedford to scotland
is feasible)

https://windowsanddoors.co.uk/upvc-windows-specification

or compare to off-the-peg sizes in wickes, e.g. this is approximately
your size

http://wickes.co.uk/1770-x-1160/p/113075
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 16/10/2016 17:44, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost £100
or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.

Online quote for supply only (I doubt transport from bedford to scotland
is feasible)

https://windowsanddoors.co.uk/upvc-windows-specification

or compare to off-the-peg sizes in wickes, e.g. this is approximately
your size

http://wickes.co.uk/1770-x-1160/p/113075

Thanks Andy I will also try for some online quotes nearer home.
I should also have said `and to get it fitted` so labour costs also.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ss wrote:

Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost £100
or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.

Online quote for supply only (I doubt transport from bedford to scotland
is feasible)

https://windowsanddoors.co.uk/upvc-windows-specification

or compare to off-the-peg sizes in wickes, e.g. this is approximately
your size

http://wickes.co.uk/1770-x-1160/p/113075

Thanks Andy I will also try for some online quotes nearer home.
I should also have said `and to get it fitted` so labour costs also.

So not DIY then...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost
£100 or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.

Online quote for supply only (I doubt transport from bedford to
scotland is feasible)

https://windowsanddoors.co.uk/upvc-windows-specification

or compare to off-the-peg sizes in wickes, e.g. this is
approximately your size

http://wickes.co.uk/1770-x-1160/p/113075

Thanks Andy I will also try for some online quotes nearer home.
I should also have said `and to get it fitted` so labour costs also.

So not DIY then...

Size is not a big cost driver. A frame within a frame means 8 corner welds
- that is a major cost driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Find a local window fabricator and ask if they can recommend a small local
tradesman that they supply to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/16 17:34, ss wrote:
Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost £100
or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.
Want to replace frame and window with PVC double (possibly triple) glazed..
Located on 1st floor but presume can be done from inside.
I will put out an ad in gumtree or similar so not going through the
major companies hoping this should be cheaper.
Located central Scotland.

Any thoughts on costs.

Have a look at windowsanddoors.co.uk for unit prices.

Yes, generally fitting can be done from the inside (mostly).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2016 17:34, ss wrote:
Looking for a ball park figure as I have no idea if it should cost £100
or £500.
Window apprx 46 x 70 inches wooden.
Want to replace frame and window with PVC double (possibly triple) glazed..
Located on 1st floor but presume can be done from inside.
I will put out an ad in gumtree or similar so not going through the
major companies hoping this should be cheaper.
Located central Scotland.

Any thoughts on costs.

Not sure where you are, but I have used William Windows
(http://williamswindows-clydebank.co.uk/home/1796542) several times over
the last few years.

They have their own workshop/factory and make anything to measure/your
specification- many local building firms use them.

They are honest and very reasonably priced.