Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another 'what is it called' question

The type of small plug often used with aerial and earth sockets on mains
powered radios, years ago. Many other uses, too. Speakers etc.

A split pin with (usually) red or black plastic cap that screwed on,
trapping the wire. Predecessor to the modern banana plug, and about
that size, but probably a tad less than 4mm. Probably Imperial, not
metric.

Yes, I've Googled, searched eBay, Rapid and Maplin, but must be using
the wrong description. There must be someone out there still selling
them
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2016 07:57, Graeme wrote:

The type of small plug often used with aerial and earth sockets on mains
powered radios, years ago. Many other uses, too. Speakers etc.

A split pin with (usually) red or black plastic cap that screwed on,
trapping the wire. Predecessor to the modern banana plug, and about
that size, but probably a tad less than 4mm. Probably Imperial, not
metric.

Yes, I've Googled, searched eBay, Rapid and Maplin, but must be using
the wrong description. There must be someone out there still selling them

Try this link:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/audio-video-connectors/loudspeaker-connectors/?cm_mmc=UK-PPC-_-google-_-1_UK_EN_G_Connectors_BMM-_-Loudspeaker_Connectors&mkwid=sSiDOWezA_dc|pcrid|84 043085486|pkw|%2Bspeaker%20%2Bconnectors|pmt|b|prd |&gclid=CNfyt8qg188CFYTnGwodkNsF5A
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

The type of small plug often used with aerial and earth sockets on mains
powered radios, years ago. Many other uses, too. Speakers etc.

A split pin with (usually) red or black plastic cap that screwed on,
trapping the wire. Predecessor to the modern banana plug, and about
that size, but probably a tad less than 4mm. Probably Imperial, not
metric.

3mm Belling Lee?
http://uk.farnell.com/belling-lee/l378a-3-black/plug-3mm/dp/317100

Wander plug?
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-valve-audio-radio-clix-black-288453523
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

The type of small plug often used with aerial and earth sockets on mains
powered radios, years ago. Many other uses, too. Speakers etc.

A split pin with (usually) red or black plastic cap that screwed on,
trapping the wire. Predecessor to the modern banana plug, and about
that size, but probably a tad less than 4mm. Probably Imperial, not
metric.

Yes, I've Googled, searched eBay, Rapid and Maplin, but must be using
the wrong description. There must be someone out there still selling
them

called "Wander Plug" when I was young. I don't know why the modern ones are
called "Banana" - I've never seen a straight banana,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

The type of small plug often used with aerial and earth sockets on mains
powered radios, years ago. Many other uses, too. Speakers etc.

Wander plug?
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-radio-clix-bl
ack-288453523

Wander plug! Yes, that is it. Thank you. Yes, I called them wander
plugs years ago, but had forgotten the term.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes

Wander plug! Yes, that is it. Thank you. Yes, I called them wander
plugs years ago, but had forgotten the term.

Kinell! Three sold via eBay recently, for more than a tenner! Very
popular with vintage radio bods, I know, but a tenner for three? Used
to buy them from Woolies for pennies each.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Wander plug! Yes, that is it.

a tenner for three? Used to buy them from Woolies for pennies each.

Then after they got a bit waggly, you'd insert a screwdriver blade and
twist to open up the split, and snap one half off ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:57:15 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Graeme wrote:

Wander plug! Yes, that is it.

a tenner for three? Used to buy them from Woolies for pennies each.

Then after they got a bit waggly, you'd insert a screwdriver blade and
twist to open up the split, and snap one half off ...

BTDTGTTS!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

a tenner for three? Used to buy them from Woolies for pennies each.

Then after they got a bit waggly, you'd insert a screwdriver blade and
twist to open up the split, and snap one half off ...

grin You remember using them, too :-)

Just found a tray of plugs and stuff on eBay. 222274754406 £2.50? A
bargain. Just about to hit BIN when I realised it was per item, not the
whole lot :-(
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/16 10:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:57:15 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Graeme wrote:

Wander plug! Yes, that is it.

a tenner for three? Used to buy them from Woolies for pennies each.

Then after they got a bit waggly, you'd insert a screwdriver blade and
twist to open up the split, and snap one half off ...

BTDTGTTS!

I am amazed that no one actually makes these any more.

They were simple and effective. I used them LOT for home made test gear.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 October 2016 10:21:13 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/10/16 10:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:57:15 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Graeme wrote:

Wander plug! Yes, that is it.

a tenner for three? Used to buy them from Woolies for pennies each.

Then after they got a bit waggly, you'd insert a screwdriver blade and
twist to open up the split, and snap one half off ...

BTDTGTTS!

I am amazed that no one actually makes these any more.

They were simple and effective. I used them LOT for home made test gear.

You'll be saying that about 3.5mm headphones next ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Then after they got a bit waggly, you'd insert a screwdriver blade and
twist to open up the split, and snap one half off ...

I remember that, but not with the 3mm wander (wonder?) plugs, but with
the 2-pin mains plugs that also used split pins. These:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UrYAAOSwIwhWTvjx/s-l1600.jpg

as you said, a leetle tweak with a screwdriver to improve contact
resulted in one half snapping off.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UrYAAOSwIwhWTvjx/s-l1600.jpg

as you said, a leetle tweak with a screwdriver to improve contact
resulted in one half snapping off.

Either that, or the split was a little too much and the pin would need
squeezing to go in the socket. Not a good idea with an unswitched
outlet.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Graeme
escribió:

Either that, or the split was a little too much and the pin would need
squeezing to go in the socket. Not a good idea with an unswitched
outlet.

Painful memories I'd rather forget. Also managing to touch the metal of
unsleeved pins on old-school 13A plugs.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

The type of small plug often used with aerial and earth sockets on mains
powered radios, years ago. Many other uses, too. Speakers etc.

A split pin with (usually) red or black plastic cap that screwed on,
trapping the wire. Predecessor to the modern banana plug, and about
that size, but probably a tad less than 4mm. Probably Imperial, not
metric.

Yes, I've Googled, searched eBay, Rapid and Maplin, but must be using
the wrong description. There must be someone out there still selling
them

Used to be called 'wander plugs' but maybe that's showing my age.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2016 14:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Painful memories I'd rather forget. Also managing to touch the metal of
unsleeved pins on old-school 13A plugs.

My old school didn't have electricity.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 13/10/2016 14:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Painful memories I'd rather forget. Also managing to touch the metal of
unsleeved pins on old-school 13A plugs.

My old school didn't have electricity.

Neither did mine - nor did anywhere else in the village - apart from the
home of a fairly wealthy family, who had their own generator.
--
Ian