Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T domain registration

For reasons to dull to go into it appears I am likely to shortly lose my trusty old email address after twenty years (not the @newsguy one that is a spam trapping fake). Can anyone recommend a domain registrar company that also offers webmail boxes. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TimW
writes
Any registrar will supply you with the domain name and it needn't cost
much. If you are using email you will need server space (hosting) and I
don't think you can get it for free. It probably needs to be reliable
and a long term arrangement because that will be the main archive and
record of your correspondence over years to come. email attachments can
up to a fair bit of space.

I've had a domain name from 1&1 for years and at a very reasonable cost.
I always just used it to forward to Demon's email address and, before
that was destroyed, the Demon website.

In making the move to Plusnet, and turning the redirect to them, I
discovered that one of the email addresses had what 1&1 describe as
"basic email" and it seems to offer a sort of webmail service. I'm still
using the multiple email addresses before the @, as I used to do with
Demon, but I haven't looked at whether these can all be channelled into
the one basic 1&1 mailbox. None of this is clear on their website.

Plusnet has had a problem with SPF validation, whatever that is, and it
appears to be due to many of the domain providers not supporting this
feature when forwarding email. AIUI, Plusnet have (temporarily?) taken
the validation off and people are now chasing various forwarding
providers to sort themselves out with this.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 23:06, TimW wrote:
On 10/10/16 22:44, Andy Burns wrote:
polygonum wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a domain registrar
company that also offers webar will allow you mail boxes.

123 reg have been good for me for years. Free mail forwarding and
domain
name registration a small handful of quids per annum.

Not the cheapest for mailboxes though

Any charges if you wish to move out of 123?

I'd heard rumours they had started charging for that, but just moved a
friend's domain away from them, and there wasn't a charge.

Any registrar will supply you with the domain name and it needn't cost
much. If you are using email you will need server space (hosting) and I
don't think you can get it for free. It probably needs to be reliable
and a long term arrangement because that will be the main archive and
record of your correspondence over years to come. email attachments can
add up to a fair bit of space.

123-reg email forwarding allows you to forward to an address without
needing to have an email box attached to it. So you could have your
domain, create an email address of your choice as a forward, and point
it at a gmail or outlook.com address etc.

(this is probably true of other registrars as well - although some (like
365 email) only allow forwarding from a paid for mailbox).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 21:00, wrote:
For reasons to dull to go into it appears I am likely to shortly lose my trusty old email address after twenty years (not the @newsguy one that is a spam trapping fake). Can anyone recommend a domain registrar company that also offers webmail boxes. Thanks.

I use
https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting. £2 a month for email, as
many mailboxes as you want, and will register a domain as well.

Run by people who have a clue.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

123reg works OK. But costs £35 a year over the basic registration.

Can redirect domain to any other mailbox like e.g. a gmail account and
avoid having to pay them, for a mail box.

but gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming
from your domain ... and some ISPs seem to think an SMTP server for
their customers is a luxury these days, so don't provide one :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2016 11:57, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

123reg works OK. But costs £35 a year over the basic registration.

Can redirect domain to any other mailbox like e.g. a gmail account and
avoid having to pay them, for a mail box.

but gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming
from your domain

No that I had noticed. I can still send from gmail with my real address.

... and some ISPs seem to think an SMTP server for
their customers is a luxury these days, so don't provide one :-(

Now that is alas true...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

but gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming
from your domain

No that I had noticed. I can still send from gmail with my real address.

It's certainly changed from the way it used to work.

I had set it up for some aliases a long time ago, and it may still work
for those, but try to setup a new alias, and it wants you to give it
your credentials so gmail can send through your (or your ISP's) SMTP
server rather than directly through gmail's own SMTP servers.

Without it you get some "from: xxxx@gmail on behalf of in"
nonsense ...

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 21:32, Bob Minchin wrote:

123 reg have been good for me for years. Free mail forwarding and domain
name registration a small handful of quids per annum.

When I was with 123reg a couple of years ago you had to ring them to
cancel anything (just like Sky). I'd avoid them in favour of somebody
you can simply cancel online.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2016 12:58, pamela wrote:
On 12:49 11 Oct 2016, John Rumm wrote:

On 11/10/2016 11:57, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

123reg works OK. But costs £35 a year over the basic
registration.

Can redirect domain to any other mailbox like e.g. a gmail
account and avoid having to pay them, for a mail box.

but gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address
coming from your domain

No that I had noticed. I can still send from gmail with my real
address.

In that instance, does Gmail put your custom address in Reply-To
or do they use From?

From.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 13:00:23 -0700, chade wrote:

For reasons to dull to go into it appears I am likely to shortly lose my
trusty old email address after twenty years (not the @newsguy one that
is a spam trapping fake). Can anyone recommend a domain registrar
company that also offers webmail boxes. Thanks.

I'm using easily.co.uk for domain hosting. I'm not using their (paid for)
email though, I've just been redirecting to somewhere else for ages now.
Easily have 4 different levels for email.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 11/10/16 10:20, Andrew May wrote:
On 10/10/2016 21:00, wrote:
For reasons to dull to go into it appears I am likely to shortly lose
my trusty old email address after twenty years (not the @newsguy one
that is a spam trapping fake). Can anyone recommend a domain registrar
company that also offers webmail boxes. Thanks.

I use
https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting. £2 a month for email, as
many mailboxes as you want, and will register a domain as well.

+1 have used them since 2008 for both private and business mail and web

Run by people who have a clue.

Andrew

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 9:00:25 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Can anyone recommend a domain registrar company that also offers webmail boxes.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This is how I use 123 reg for mail all mail to
"anything you gets sent to my webmail address and I
can filter out
"anything too for no extra charge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2016 15:19, Another Dave wrote:
On 10/10/16 21:32, Bob Minchin wrote:

123 reg have been good for me for years. Free mail forwarding and domain
name registration a small handful of quids per annum.

When I was with 123reg a couple of years ago you had to ring them to
cancel anything (just like Sky). I'd avoid them in favour of somebody
you can simply cancel online.

You can cancel most things online except hosting packages generally.
(this appears to be more about security than customer retention since
they have never put up any resistance to cancelling a package).

(I am not recommending 123 especially - there are some things they do
ok, but also plenty where they are a PITA. I still use them, since it
would be too much hassle to ditch them for someone else at this stage)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2016 18:16, Biggles wrote:
1and1.co.uk

Use them for years, for my domain, hosting my e-mail and sending e-mails
either from e-mail client (through any ISP, secure port) or webmail,
never had a problem.

We've used 1 and 1 for web hosting and email for several years.
Originally their support was excellent but it seems to have gone
downhill recently. I've used tsohost.com for a couple of websites
recently and found the service and support to be excellent with a
knowledgeable staff in a UK call centre.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

123reg works OK. But costs £35 a year over the basic registration.

Can redirect domain to any other mailbox like e.g. a gmail account and
avoid having to pay them, for a mail box.

but gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming
from your domain ...

They do for me and I just set it up a couple of months ago.
and some ISPs seem to think an SMTP server for their customers is a
luxury these days, so don't provide one :-(

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:

Andy Burns writes:

gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming
from your domain ...

They do for me and I just set it up a couple of months ago.

Did you have to give it the fqdn and credentials of an smtp server for
it to send out through?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
bert wrote:

Andy Burns writes:

gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming
from your domain ...

They do for me and I just set it up a couple of months ago.

Did you have to give it the fqdn and credentials of an smtp server for it
to send out through?

Why would they require that ?

All you want is for the recipient of the email to be able to reply
as usual and for the reply to end up visible by you when it gets back.