Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT] changing registration number on car

I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

If he wants to keep the plate, then the transfer is his problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

If you have a DVLA office close by it can be done there and then. By post
probably a week or so.

If the car wasn't owned by the previous chap from new it will probably get
its original number back.

However, it's the seller who has to do all this if he wishes to keep his
plate.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller wants
to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the
plate.
He needs to transfer it before the sale.

The car should already have a registration number from new and this can be
put on the car now.
AFAIK you register a new car and then transfer the plate, the original stays
with the car unless it is also transferred to another vehicle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:08:54 +0100, "dennis@home" wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller wants
to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the
plate.
He needs to transfer it before the sale.

Not necessarily - you could transfer the number to a retention cert - this may be more expensive
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2010 10:43, Donwill wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on
the car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?
Don

Thanks for all contributions, have now spoken to seller who agrees he
will change number/reregister or whatever, he was already aware, it was
just my ignorance not his.
Cheers
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Donwill wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

If you have a DVLA office close by it can be done there and then. By post
probably a week or so.

If the car wasn't owned by the previous chap from new it will probably get
its original number back.

However, it's the seller who has to do all this if he wishes to keep his
plate.

JOOI & OT what happens to a vehicle number when the vehicle is scrapped.
Does it return to the pool of numbers for sale to people as a
personalised plate or is it lost forever?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

JOOI & OT what happens to a vehicle number when the vehicle is scrapped.
Does it return to the pool of numbers for sale to people as a
personalised plate or is it lost forever?

Lost forever.

It can be transferred off for up to six months after the MOT expires, but
only by the registered keeper, and they may well ask to inspect the donor
vehicle to make sure there's no ringing going on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Donwill wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

If you have a DVLA office close by it can be done there and then. By post
probably a week or so.

If the car wasn't owned by the previous chap from new it will probably
get
its original number back.

However, it's the seller who has to do all this if he wishes to keep his
plate.

JOOI & OT what happens to a vehicle number when the vehicle is scrapped.
Does it return to the pool of numbers for sale to people as a personalised
plate or is it lost forever?

I think they are kept so that they can be issued in future as an 'age
related' plate.
I bought an old car which had its original plate sold by the seller prior to
my arrival and was substituted with an 'age related' plate which is not
transferable.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2010 14:08, dennis@home wrote:

AFAIK you register a new car and then transfer the plate, the original
stays with the car unless it is also transferred to another vehicle.

Not necessarily. If you buy a personal number which has not previously
been issued from DVLC when the car is new, that number goes straight
onto the car without it ever having an 'ordinary' number to revert to.

If you subsequently transfer this to another car, the original car then
has to be issued with a brand new number of the right 'vintage'.

BTDTGTTS.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I think they are kept so that they can be issued in future as an 'age
related' plate.
I bought an old car which had its original plate sold by the seller
prior to my arrival and was substituted with an 'age related' plate
which is not transferable.

The age related plates are ones which were never issued in the first
place.

When a car "is scrapped", there's no way of knowing for sure if it has
ACTUALLY been scrapped or not - it may resurface and be restored in the
future. If there's documentary evidence linking the car and the plate,
then the registration will be retained.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mark wrote:
I think they are kept so that they can be issued in future as an 'age
related' plate. I bought an old car which had its original plate sold by
the seller prior to my arrival and was substituted with an 'age
related' plate which is not transferable.

Probably a number that was never issued. Several low density of population
areas like the NE of Scotland had unused numbers when the year letter came
in. And those are the sort that are issued as age related. *RG and *RS
from Aberdeen are two common ones.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants
to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the
plate.
He needs to transfer it before the sale.

Not necessarily - you could transfer the number to a retention cert - this
may be more expensive
though.

I forgot about those things.
There is a limit to how long they last though.

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 20:14, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

The plate on my car is absolutely unique. That's good enough for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants
to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the
plate.
He needs to transfer it before the sale.

Not necessarily - you could transfer the number to a retention cert -
this may be more expensive
though.

I forgot about those things.
There is a limit to how long they last though.

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

TW 4 T would be a perfect number plate for you.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
1501 writes
On 26 July, 20:14, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

The plate on my car is absolutely unique. That's good enough for me.

You hope ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

writes

The plate on my car is absolutely unique. That's good enough for me.

You hope ...

Wnat are plates in the format "999 D 999" issued as? diplomatic use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

The plate on my car is absolutely unique. That's good enough for me.

You hope ...

Wnat are plates in the format "999 D 999" issued as? diplomatic use?

Yep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"1501" wrote in message
On 26 July, 20:14, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

The plate on my car is absolutely unique. That's good enough for me.

Not if someone wants to avoid the congestion charge and has a similar car.
there are scum who think nothing of forging number plates and/or
registration stuff.
Jail them all I say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants
to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on
the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the
plate.
He needs to transfer it before the sale.

Not necessarily - you could transfer the number to a retention cert -
this may be more expensive
though.

I forgot about those things.
There is a limit to how long they last though.

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

TW 4 T would be a perfect number plate for you.

Adam

While any old forgery would be fine for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller
wants
to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on
the
car and how long it would take and any pitfalls?

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the
plate.
He needs to transfer it before the sale.

Not necessarily - you could transfer the number to a retention cert -
this may be more expensive
though.

I forgot about those things.
There is a limit to how long they last though.

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

TW 4 T would be a perfect number plate for you.

Adam

While any old forgery would be fine for you.

Not any old forgery. I just have the last two letters swapped around.

Adam