Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whistling radiator

We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

A small turn of the valve will cause it to stop ... for about 10 mins
and then off it goes again.

Clues & solutions?
--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct 2016 12:39, AnthonyL wrote:
We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

A small turn of the valve will cause it to stop ... for about 10 mins
and then off it goes again.

Clues & solutions?

Change the circulating pump speed/flow setting?

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

Possibly its TRV is fitted 'backwards', does it have an arrow on the
body? Does the arrow correspond to the end that gets hot first?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote in news:ntg21j
:

Andy Burns wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:

We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

Possibly its TRV is fitted 'backwards', does it have an arrow on the
body? Does the arrow correspond to the end that gets hot first?

+1

Also - it it has a TRV it may be worth trying to reduce the flow with the
lockshiled valve on the other end. Does this radiator get hot fairly
quickly? It could be getting too high a flow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:

We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

Possibly its TRV is fitted 'backwards', does it have an arrow on the
body? Does the arrow correspond to the end that gets hot first?

+1. Some TRVs don't mind but others can be noisy if fitted the wrong way
round.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:

We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

Possibly its TRV is fitted 'backwards', does it have an arrow on the
body? Does the arrow correspond to the end that gets hot first?

+1

Also - it it has a TRV it may be worth trying to reduce the flow with the
lockshiled valve on the other end. Does this radiator get hot fairly
quickly? It could be getting too high a flow.

IME it is in fact partly closes lockshields that cause the whistle.

The local velocity is high, then.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 14:17, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:

We have just one radiator which insists on a fairly high pitched and
constant whistle type of noise.

Possibly its TRV is fitted 'backwards', does it have an arrow on the
body? Does the arrow correspond to the end that gets hot first?

+1. Some TRVs don't mind but others can be noisy if fitted the wrong way
round.

an IME, some that claim not to mind still whistle when run backwards.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure at a block of flats I frequent this is happening and the only way
to stop it is to push on the valve so I'd suggest something is oscillating
maybe the valve itself or it is worn or dry of lubricant or some such.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...