Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flushing radiators using Magnaclean

I have 18 radiators on an old system to which I have fitted a Magnaclean. I understand that it can be a practical proposition to close all radiators bar one and then run the system to flush out that one radiator - at the same time as banging it with a rubber mallet to dislodge any sludge. Any comments?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2016 16:19, Keefiedee wrote:
I have 18 radiators on an old system to which I have fitted a
Magnaclean. I understand that it can be a practical proposition to
close all radiators bar one and then run the system to flush out that
one radiator - at the same time as banging it with a rubber mallet to
dislodge any sludge. Any comments?

A magnaclean should help keep a clean system clean, its unlikely to cope
with getting all of the crud out of a badly sludged system. You would
probably do better with fresh water flushing to a drain to start with.

(also take care if you have a modern boiler - you don't want to drive
sludge into its HE since they will block very quickly)

A few pointers:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ating_flushing

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 October 2016 16:19:20 UTC+1, Keefiedee wrote:
I have 18 radiators on an old system to which I have fitted a Magnaclean. I understand that it can be a practical proposition to close all radiators bar one and then run the system to flush out that one radiator - at the same time as banging it with a rubber mallet to dislodge any sludge. Any comments?

The best way to clean radiators is to remove them, take outside and jet them out with a pressure washer. Good opportunity to fit new valves.
A bit tedious. Almost worth fitting new radiators.
The magnetic device is intended to keep crap out of your new exotic alloy boiler, not clean the whole system.
If start bashing old radiators you may make a hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2016 07:17, harry wrote:
On Friday, 7 October 2016 16:19:20 UTC+1, Keefiedee wrote:
I have 18 radiators on an old system to which I have fitted a Magnaclean. I understand that it can be a practical proposition to close all radiators bar one and then run the system to flush out that one radiator - at the same time as banging it with a rubber mallet to dislodge any sludge. Any comments?

The best way to clean radiators is to remove them, take outside and jet them out with a pressure washer. Good opportunity to fit new valves.
A bit tedious. Almost worth fitting new radiators.
The magnetic device is intended to keep crap out of your new exotic alloy boiler, not clean the whole system.
If start bashing old radiators you may make a hole.

I cleaned out my filter last week and not too much found (water heating
only). I then turned on the central heating for an hour for the first
time since last winter and checked the filter again. Quite a lot of crap
had been captured, mainly very fine particles.

The last time I took a 20 year old radiator off and flushed it with a
garden hose the amount of sludge dislodged would probably have filled
the filter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 October 2016 22:54:10 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for your, as ever, helpful post. However the radiatiors are not heavily sludged - I replaced them about 9 years ago. However, I now realise I have had some air being drawn into the system for about that time and that has obviously caused some corrosion. I really just wondered how long to flush each radiator, and how much tapping with a rubber hammer might be necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2016 17:35, Keefiedee wrote:
On Friday, 7 October 2016 22:54:10 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

A few pointers:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ating_flushing

Many thanks for your, as ever, helpful post. However the radiatiors
are not heavily sludged - I replaced them about 9 years ago.
However, I now realise I have had some air being drawn into the
system for about that time and that has obviously caused some
corrosion.

9 years in a oxygen rich environment could result in a fair bit of
corrosion. Much will depend on how often the inhibitor was topped up. It
contains an oxygen scavenger, but obviously if there is a continuous
source of new O2, then that will get used up.

I really just wondered how long to flush each radiator,
and how much tapping with a rubber hammer might be necessary.

I would suggest 5 mins each way or until it runs clear - whichever takes
longest.

--
Cheers,

John.

Radiators and flushing [email protected] UK diy 3 October 17th 06 11:08 PM
MagnaClean - Report #1 TheScullster UK diy 5 May 12th 06 05:36 PM
Magnaclean question nrh UK diy 74 January 9th 06 09:29 PM
Magnaclean Matthew UK diy 17 November 6th 05 05:53 PM
Flushing cast iron radiators Witchy UK diy 3 December 6th 04 07:45 PM