Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small (as in 2mm diameter, or so) stainless woodscrews - supplier?

I have a niggling feeling I have asked this before (probably some
years ago) but I can't find the answers if so.

I'm after supplies of small stainless steel woodscrews. Sizes down to
3mm seem to be fairly easy to find but I can't find anything smaller.

What I'm after is screws in the region of 2mm diameter and lengths
from 10mm to 30mm. I'd prefer pozi head and countersunk but they're
not absolutely necessary.

A2 stainless is fine, these are just for 'ordinary' outdoor use.

Any ideas anyone?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
I have a niggling feeling I have asked this before (probably some
years ago) but I can't find the answers if so.

I'm after supplies of small stainless steel woodscrews. Sizes down to
3mm seem to be fairly easy to find but I can't find anything smaller.

What I'm after is screws in the region of 2mm diameter and lengths
from 10mm to 30mm. I'd prefer pozi head and countersunk but they're
not absolutely necessary.

A2 stainless is fine, these are just for 'ordinary' outdoor use.

Any ideas anyone?

2 x 30 is a big ask but have you tried looking for self tappers and
screws for plastic? essentially the same thing as woodscrews in use but
these small sizes are likely to be more found in other applications.

Good Luck
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I have a niggling feeling I have asked this before (probably some
years ago) but I can't find the answers if so.

I'm after supplies of small stainless steel woodscrews. Sizes down to
3mm seem to be fairly easy to find but I can't find anything smaller.

What I'm after is screws in the region of 2mm diameter and lengths
from 10mm to 30mm. I'd prefer pozi head and countersunk but they're
not absolutely necessary.

A2 stainless is fine, these are just for 'ordinary' outdoor use.

Any ideas anyone?

2 x 30 is a big ask but have you tried looking for self tappers and
screws for plastic? essentially the same thing as woodscrews in use but
these small sizes are likely to be more found in other applications.

Well I've looked around in chipboard screws and self-tappers a bit but
haven't really had any joy. Yes 2 x 30 is probably a bit hopeful but
the shorter ones would be very useful anyway.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/16 11:51, Chris Green wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Must they be stainless?

Zinc plated Model 'servo screws' fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/servo_screws.htm

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Further to that they do seem to have stainless as well.

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/self_tapping_screws.htm

Look for a no 2 12.7mm pan head..

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

They do have to be stainless really, many will be used on a boat and
my experience is that standard zinc/yellow plates screws don't last
long before rusting and marking the wood. My TurboUltra screws seem
to survive well.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I've ended up on their site several times but couldn't find stainless
screws in small sizes, but you're right there are a few in there and
they might fulfil some of my requirements, thanks.

I've also found:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M1-M1-2-M1...-/122037407461

Really tiny screws, but maximum length of 12 mm.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I would go to a chandlers or look on ebay.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 09:58:47 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I have a niggling feeling I have asked this before (probably some
years ago) but I can't find the answers if so.

I'm after supplies of small stainless steel woodscrews. Sizes down to
3mm seem to be fairly easy to find but I can't find anything smaller.

What I'm after is screws in the region of 2mm diameter and lengths
from 10mm to 30mm. I'd prefer pozi head and countersunk but they're
not absolutely necessary.

A2 stainless is fine, these are just for 'ordinary' outdoor use.

Any ideas anyone?

These'll get you to 25mm:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-2-2-2mm...item92b7537f00

--