Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Fault Diagnosis

Hi all

Hoping someone will be able to confirm my suspicions regarding lack of
heat to ground floor.

The system is an open vented S Plan Plus (I think). Essentially it has
3 motorised valves, one for hot water, one for upstairs heating and one
for downstairs heating.
These are controlled by a tank stat and timer for the hot water and two
Honeywell programmable wireless stats for the separate upstairs and
downstairs heating.

The issue seems to be when the downstairs stat only is calling for heat.
It looks like the radiators are heated for a short while, but then not.
The stat is calling for heat and this is indicated as received by a
green light on the base station in the airing cupboard.

If I then bring in demand for the upstairs heating circuit, both
upstairs and downstairs get hot.

There are a couple of photos of the valves and piping for download here,
the most relevant being the first. The valves are labelled. But as the
system has generally been working fine for ten years, the actual layout
is probably not too relevant.

http://a360.co/2e0Uk8r
http://a360.co/2dwjwkr

The two valves in plain sight are for heating, the hot water one being
towards the back of the cupboard horixontally mounted.

Can anyone can suggest the cause, diagnosis and fix method please?

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:
[...]

When the downstairs only problem arises, is the demand for heat signal
arriving at the boiler (maybe dodgy demand switch inside downstairs zone
valve) if so is the pump running or has the boiler shut down due to
internal overheat?
I'm thinking that maybe downstairs flow is constricted somewhere or has
air in so that heat is not flowing to the rads, boiler gets over hot and
shuts down. In this circumstance the boiler should slowly cool, fire
again and quickly shut down as it heat itself up to over heat once more.

Also what happens if you manually open the lower zone valve.

We need more info as to the state of all the system components when the
"fault" is active and if they change over time eg any type of slow cycling
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:
[...]

If I understand these things correctly, they way they should work is that
the thermostat controls the motorised valve and then the micro switch in
the motorised valve powers the boiler/pump.

If the motorised valve is opening, which it seems to be, then I would
suspect a faulty micro switch that is perhaps failing is some way as it
heats up causing the boiler to shut down again.

Should be easy enough to test.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

[...]

Sounds as though the CH circulating pump is not coming on when only the
downstairs is calling for heat. This might be due to failure of a
switch internal to the downstairs valve, if it ihas one. Otherwise, an
obscure type of fault most likely a failed connection somewhere.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2016 10:19, Tim+ wrote:
thescullster wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim

This was my initial thought also. That the valve is opening, but not
far enough to operate the micro-switch jobby.
If the valve is partially open, this would explain how come the
downstairs rads get hot when both upstairs and down stats are calling
for heat.

Is it possible to remove the top "cover" on the valve motor to see
what's happening with the valve in situ?

If not, how is this failure "easy enough to test"?
I didn't install the valves or wire them, so am not clear what would
present if I open the wiring centre/junction boxes linking the valves
and programmers.

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2016 10:01, Bob Minchin wrote:
thescullster wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob

I don't believe the demand for heat signal can be reaching the boiler.
It has behaved fine serving the hot water circuit over summer and reacts
correctly when upstairs stat calls for heat.

As mentioned, the downstairs heats up OK if the upstairs stat also calls
for heat, so don't suspect a blockage.
I also think a boiler overheat is unlikely as this tends to show as a
flashing indicator light on the boiler which didn't happen.

I'll look at manually operating the zone valve a few times and see if
it's just a lack of use/partial seizure type situation.

I have not seen any cycling occurring, but it's a bit of a complex
system so takes a while to test each circuit.

Many thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/10/2016 11:48, thescullster wrote:
On 05/10/2016 10:19, Tim+ wrote:
thescullster wrote:
[...]

I would swap the two valve heads, without changing any of the wiring.
Then crank up the "wrong" thermostat and see what happens. It'll tell
you whether it's the electrical or mechanical part of the system that's
at fault.

Also, wasn't there a thread about gate valve problems. You haven't
fiddled with any of them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2016 10:19, Tim+ wrote:
thescullster wrote:
[...]

Thanks GB

Good call swapping the heads over, that would give me a start.

No I haven't been twiddling gate valves yet. Although I got the
installer to fit them, I suspect with the pipe layout I might end up
having to release both valves to get enough pipe movement to free one of
them IYSWIM.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/10/2016 12:13, thescullster wrote:

No I haven't been twiddling gate valves yet. Although I got the
installer to fit them, I suspect with the pipe layout I might end up
having to release both valves to get enough pipe movement to free one of
them IYSWIM.

Phil

I was able to get a new insert for my 3 way valve. That replaced all the
valve gubbins inside the body. That's easier than changing the whole
valve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:54:31 +0100
thescullster wrote:

I'll look at manually operating the zone valve a few times and see if
it's just a lack of use/partial seizure type situation.

As mentioned in a different thread, remember that manually operating
the valve does not always trip the microswitch. But the switch can be
operated directly, with a pencil or ballpoint pen, to see if this does
then operate the pump and boiler.
You can try this with the valve powered open, too, to see if anything
happens. It may be that the switch is not being activated.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2016 12:20, GB wrote:
On 05/10/2016 12:13, thescullster wrote:

No I haven't been twiddling gate valves yet. Although I got the
installer to fit them, I suspect with the pipe layout I might end up
having to release both valves to get enough pipe movement to free one of
them IYSWIM.

Phil

I was able to get a new insert for my 3 way valve. That replaced all the
valve gubbins inside the body. That's easier than changing the whole valve.

Thanks GB

I'll bear that in mind.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

I'll look at manually operating the zone valve a few times and see if
it's just a lack of use/partial seizure type situation.

As mentioned in a different thread, remember that manually operating
the valve does not always trip the microswitch. But the switch can be
operated directly, with a pencil or ballpoint pen, to see if this does
then operate the pump and boiler.
You can try this with the valve powered open, too, to see if anything
happens. It may be that the switch is not being activated.

Hi Davey

Is it necessary/possible to take the cover off the head to do this?

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

I'll look at manually operating the zone valve a few times and see
if it's just a lack of use/partial seizure type situation.

As mentioned in a different thread, remember that manually operating
the valve does not always trip the microswitch. But the switch can
be operated directly, with a pencil or ballpoint pen, to see if
this does then operate the pump and boiler.
You can try this with the valve powered open, too, to see if
anything happens. It may be that the switch is not being activated.

Hi Davey

Is it necessary/possible to take the cover off the head to do this?

Thanks

Phil

Yes. It should be one screw, that only needs loosening, and is probably
on the bottom of the cover. If you can find the most awkward place for
a screw to be located, that's where it will be! Once it's loose, the
cover should slide directly away from the valve, revealing the motor,
wires, and switch.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

[...]

Thanks Davey

I'll do my limbering up exercises ready for attempting to contort myself
(probably upside down) into the smallest space in the airing cupboard,
then moan cos the exertion has caused my glasses to steam up so I can't
see the hot water cylinder let alone a screw in the most inaccessible
recess possible.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

thescullster wrote:

[...]

Unclip the head off the valve first?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:
Hi Bob

I don't believe the demand for heat signal can be reaching the boiler.
It has behaved fine serving the hot water circuit over summer and reacts
correctly when upstairs stat calls for heat.

yebbut the demand signal must be getting through as you said the
downstairs rads did heat up to start with? So the demand signal is
getting interrupted after a while.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2016 09:23, thescullster wrote:
[...]

I think from reading the discussion so far, that you're on your way to
fixing it.

Just to recap on the way in which an S/S+ Plan system works.

Each zone has a 2-port zone valve driven by a programmer plus stat (or
programmable stat). When there is a demand in a particular zone, its
zone valve opens.

Each zone valve has some auxiliary contacts which close when the valve
is fully open. These are wired in parallel, and are used to switch on
the boiler and pump. The boiler and pump will run when any one or more
zones are calling for heat, but only those zones whose valves are open
will get hot.

In your case, the troublesome zone's valve is opening but its contacts
are not switching the boiler and pump on - so that zone is only heated
when another zone is calling for heat at the same time.

There are 3 possible causes for this problem - starting with the most
likely:
1. The zone valve's microswitch has failed
2. The mechanical (wet) part of the valve has become partially jammed,
allowing the valve to open enough to allow water to flow but not enough
to operate the microswitch
3. A wire has become detached in the parallel microswitch circuit

Swapping two of the actuators without disturbing the wiring should
enable you to home in on the problem. [Remember you will need to
generate a demand for upstairs to test the downstairs circuit, and vice
versa while swapped]. Whilst you have the actuators off, check the valve
spindles to make sure that they turn freely. I suspect that they will,
and that the problem will transfer to the other zone - indicating that
the mircoswitch isn't switching.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 20:46:21 +0100
Bob Minchin wrote:

thescullster wrote:
Hi Bob

I don't believe the demand for heat signal can be reaching the
boiler. It has behaved fine serving the hot water circuit over
summer and reacts correctly when upstairs stat calls for heat.

yebbut the demand signal must be getting through as you said the
downstairs rads did heat up to start with? So the demand signal is
getting interrupted after a while.

Bob

That may be the valve opening, and the heat already in the boiler
getting used up, but because the boiler is not getting a 'Run' signal,
the heat runs out. A failed valve microswitch would fit this
scenario.

Maybe.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 00:02, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger

Thanks for the clear and concise synopsis.
Looks like the issue was No 2 above, but see separate post.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Fault Diagnosis - RESOLVED

[...]

Thanks to all responders on this.

Took the cover off the downstairs heating motorised valve and called for
heat on that circuit. The motor rotated but stopped before the actuator
tab reached the micro switch - presumably this is down to sticky valve
internals.
So I "helped it" through the rest of its travel with a broggle from a
screwdriver. The pump and boiler fired up fine, so microswitch OK.
Tried raising and lowering stat temperature to see how it behaved and
the motor/actuator tab now travels far enough to make microswitch
contact unaided. Heating came on fine this morning.

One additional comment - moveable wireless stats are useful here cos I
could be increasing temperature for downstairs (calling for heat) while
sat in front of the valve in the airing cupboard upstairs.

Cheers guys

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 09:09:29 +0100
thescullster wrote:

[...]

Glad you got it sorted out. And you now know the way around your
heating system! Make some sketches, piping and wiring, so you have a
ready reference for the next time (not 'if', but 'when' there is a next
time).

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/10/2016 09:09, thescullster wrote:

Took the cover off the downstairs heating motorised valve and called for
heat on that circuit. The motor rotated but stopped before the actuator
tab reached the micro switch - presumably this is down to sticky valve
internals.
So I "helped it" through the rest of its travel with a broggle from a
screwdriver. The pump and boiler fired up fine, so microswitch OK.
Tried raising and lowering stat temperature to see how it behaved and
the motor/actuator tab now travels far enough to make microswitch
contact unaided. Heating came on fine this morning.

My experience with sticky valves is:

1. They jam up during the summer, when there's no demand for heat.
2. Once eased, they tend to get regular use during the winter, and keep
going until they jam up again the following summer.
3. Eventually, they jam more and take more easing, at which point you
end up replacing them, anyway.

Just my 2p worth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela Wrote in message:
On 09:09 6 Oct 2016, thescullster wrote:

[...]

What's a broggle?

The pump and boiler fired up fine, so
microswitch OK. Tried raising and lowering stat temperature to
see how it behaved and the motor/actuator tab now travels far
enough to make microswitch contact unaided. Heating came on
fine this morning.

One additional comment - moveable wireless stats are useful here
cos I could be increasing temperature for downstairs (calling
for heat) while sat in front of the valve in the airing cupboard
upstairs.

Cheers guys

Phil

A broggle - a bit of a poke around
To broggle - the act of poking around with a broggler
A broggler - a tapered steel hand tool with handle usually used to
align holes of mating parts during assembly

All probably colloquial Yorkshire terms picked up during
engineering apprentice days.

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 21:52:56 +0100, TheChief wrote:

pamela Wrote in message:
[...]

Ah, I get your drift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 23:36, Bob Eager wrote:

align holes of mating parts during assembly

Ah, I get your drift.

Would that be classed as a punchline?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/16 21:52, TheChief wrote:
pamela Wrote in message:
[...]

According to te dictionary

a brog, a pointed steel instrument like an awl
To brog or broggle. To pierce.

All probably colloquial Yorkshire terms picked up during
engineering apprentice days.

Phil

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela Wrote in message:
[...]

Wow, never knew there was a plausible root to that word!

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/