Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weird gas consumption OVO SM

On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for
year, month, week and individual days...

We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot lights
so their should be no gas used. The weekly shows the consumption for
the day we left, then 0.05kw 0.29p each day since. The graphs for the
individual days, logged every 30 minutes show a bar, but zero actual
consumption. I do a regular drop test and the SM installer did his own
test when fitting the meter, so I'm pretty sure we don't have any
leakage, but....

Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for
year, month, week and individual days...

We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot lights
so their should be no gas used. The weekly shows the consumption for the
day we left, then 0.05kw 0.29p each day since. The graphs for the
individual days, logged every 30 minutes show a bar, but zero actual
consumption. I do a regular drop test and the SM installer did his own
test when fitting the meter, so I'm pretty sure we don't have any
leakage, but....

Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?

Same here with a WB Greenstar boiler. I have assumed it is the boiler
function to keep a small reserve of ready heated water so it
occasionally fires up to do this. Not tried fiddling ith the settings
to confirm that - .5p a day is not a large part of the bill...

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote :
On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 13:57:49 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for
year, month, week and individual days...

We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot lights
so their should be no gas used. The weekly shows the consumption for
the day we left, then 0.05kw 0.29p each day since. The graphs for the
individual days, logged every 30 minutes show a bar, but zero actual
consumption. I do a regular drop test and the SM installer did his own
test when fitting the meter, so I'm pretty sure we don't have any
leakage, but....

Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?

Could it be slow leakage through the valve on the boiler, and enough
draft up the chimney to carry it away and prevent a build-up? What
happens if you actually turn off the gas supply at the main tap?

Turning the valve off at the meter will be my next thing to try, but
not until next year.

To answer the other question - The boiler, timer and water valve have
all of their power isolated. The timer is battery backed, so its an
easy way to not waste gas heating water up twice a day, when we are
away, without changing the timer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2016 13:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for
year, month, week and individual days...

We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot lights
so their should be no gas used. The weekly shows the consumption for the
day we left, then 0.05kw 0.29p each day since. The graphs for the
individual days, logged every 30 minutes show a bar, but zero actual
consumption. I do a regular drop test and the SM installer did his own
test when fitting the meter, so I'm pretty sure we don't have any
leakage, but....

Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?

If I've done me sums right (admittedly an "if" that probably deserves to
be in 36pt Arial Black) that's a loss of about 4 litres of gas per day.
IIRC that in turn is about what you'd typically have in your pipes. So
unless you do your tightness test for a *lot* more than the usual 2
minutes I'd be surprised if it'd pick up that rate of loss.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/10/2016 16:37, Robin wrote:
[...]

Is that maybe the daily standing charge at .29p per day
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for
year, month, week and individual days...

We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot
lights so their should be no gas used. The weekly shows the
consumption for the day we left, then 0.05kw 0.29p each day since.
The graphs for the individual days, logged every 30 minutes show a
bar, but zero actual consumption. I do a regular drop test and the SM
installer did his own test when fitting the meter, so I'm pretty sure
we don't have any leakage, but....

Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?

No, there's a fault with your calculations. Ovo charge 28.77p per day
standing charge for the meter, this is why you are seeing zero consumption.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss explained on 01/10/2016 :
[...]

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

According to their website, there's only two different standing charges for
gas, one is 28.77p per day, this covers a few different tarrifs. The other
is over 35p per day for a different tarrif

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

ss wrote:

Is that maybe the daily standing charge at .29p per day

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

Plus VAT?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/10/2016 20:38, Phil L wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

According to their website, there's only two different standing charges for
gas, one is 28.77p per day, this covers a few different tarrifs. The other
is over 35p per day for a different tarrif

I am also on 27.4 per day with OVO.
Although you say it was turned off, was that completely or just the
thermostat cause if not it would fire up ocassionally for the reservoir
tank to pre heat warm water for the taps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L pretended :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

According to their website, there's only two different standing charges for
gas, one is 28.77p per day, this covers a few different tarrifs. The other is
over 35p per day for a different tarrif

Electricity:
10.36p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.40p/day
MPRN:
1830547501
Gas:
2.43p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.40p/day
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/10/2016 20:43, Andy Burns wrote:
No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

Plus VAT?

Oooops forgot about the VAT.
27.4 +5% =28.8p rounded up would be 29p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss brought next idea :
I am also on 27.4 per day with OVO.
Although you say it was turned off, was that completely or just the
thermostat cause if not it would fire up ocassionally for the reservoir tank
to pre heat warm water for the taps.

The entire heating system was completely isolated from all power, no
doubt about that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2016 20:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Phil L pretended :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

According to their website, there's only two different standing
charges for gas, one is 28.77p per day, this covers a few different
tarrifs. The other is over 35p per day for a different tarrif

Electricity:
10.36p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.40p/day
MPRN:
1830547501
Gas:
2.43p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.40p/day

As others have said, are you sure that all those figures are not ex-VAT?

It seems a bit of a coincidence that 27.4 + 5% = 28.77 which is the
figure quoted by others for the standing charge, and pretty close to
your 29p per day "consumption".
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :
As others have said, are you sure that all those figures are not ex-VAT?

It seems a bit of a coincidence that 27.4 + 5% = 28.77 which is the figure
quoted by others for the standing charge, and pretty close to your 29p per
day "consumption".

It took some digging to find out, but yes the 27.4 is ex-VAT. Nowhere I
could find, suggested that the consumption figures included the charge
for the meter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

According to their website, there's only two different standing
charges for gas, one is 28.77p per day, this covers a few different
tarrifs. The other is over 35p per day for a different tarrif

Electricity:
10.36p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.40p/day
MPRN:
1830547501
Gas:
2.43p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.40p/day

As others have said, are you sure that all those figures are not ex-VAT?

It seems a bit of a coincidence that 27.4 + 5% = 28.77 which is the
figure quoted by others for the standing charge, and pretty close to
your 29p per day "consumption".

Having said that, I was assuming that 0.29p meant zero pounds and 29
pence. If it actually means a fraction of a penny, that would make
slightly more - though far from exact - sense in terms of the alleged
"consumption". [0.05 kWh @ 2.43p/kWh would be around 0.12 pence, not
0.29 pence. I'm now more confused than you are!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills used his keyboard to write :
Having said that, I was assuming that 0.29p meant zero pounds and 29 pence.
If it actually means a fraction of a penny, that would make slightly more -
though far from exact - sense in terms of the alleged "consumption". [0.05
kWh @ 2.43p/kWh would be around 0.12 pence, not 0.29 pence. I'm now more
confused than you are!]

Maybe a rounding error somewhere in their website software?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2016 22:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Roger Mills used his keyboard to write :
Having said that, I was assuming that 0.29p meant zero pounds and 29
pence. If it actually means a fraction of a penny, that would make
slightly more - though far from exact - sense in terms of the alleged
"consumption". [0.05 kWh @ 2.43p/kWh would be around 0.12 pence, not
0.29 pence. I'm now more confused than you are!]

Maybe a rounding error somewhere in their website software?

I don't think a rounding error would account for a factor of nearly two
and a half!

And I'm still not sure whether your 0.29p is £0.29 or £0.0029 Which is it?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Roger Mills wrote :
I don't think a rounding error would account for a factor of nearly two and a
half!

And I'm still not sure whether your 0.29p is £0.29 or £0.0029 Which is it?

Sorry, it is 29p or £0.29

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/10/2016 20:04, Phil L wrote:
Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?

No, there's a fault with your calculations. Ovo charge 28.77p per day
standing charge for the meter, this is why you are seeing zero consumption.

As an aside, I use OVO and I have a spreadsheet I use to compare my
estimate with their bill each month, I got the formulas from OVO and I
can get within a couple of pence per month accuracy.
Due to my lack of excel knowledge when I put in at the start of the
month my readings, the way it calculates is it gives me the months
standing charges plus whatever gas I have used so my bill appears high
at the month start but catches up as the month progresses and the
accuracy at the month end is spot on.
Totally different to what you are saying with a smart meter but I was
also caught out initially with the daily charge the way I have
formulated it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2016 22:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Roger Mills wrote :
I don't think a rounding error would account for a factor of nearly
two and a half!

And I'm still not sure whether your 0.29p is £0.29 or £0.0029 Which is
it?

Sorry, it is 29p or £0.29

OK, so the bulk of that is the standing charge, even if that's not clear
from the information it provides.

Whether or not it is *also* showing some consumption, I'm not sure. If
it's 0.05 kWh per day, that would only account for about 0.12 pence - so
your standing charge of 28.77 pence would round up to 29p regardless of
whether or not the 0.12 pence were added.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss was thinking very hard :
[...]

Prior to the SM's I used an Excel spreadsheet which I found and adapted
to weekly readings. It was excellent.

Electricity Consumption Zen83237 UK diy 20 September 10th 10 01:00 PM
CFL consumption ? Nick UK diy 10 January 13th 09 02:05 PM
Energy Consumption Edward W. Thompson UK diy 2 May 2nd 08 11:56 PM
Typical gas consumption (in kWh) Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 3 January 4th 06 10:58 PM
Gas consumption for heat [email protected] Home Repair 19 January 5th 05 09:29 PM