Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for small paint sprayer wanted

I had a cheap little 'airless' paint sprayer bought in France a while
ago and found it handy for certain jobs. It has now gone astray so
I'm looking for a replacement, requirements (or 'nice to have') as
follows:-

Reasonably priced (i.e not hundreds of pounds, my French one was
40 Euros I think)

Easy to clean with minimal use of liquid as this will be used away
from home (often on a boat) away from bulk washing facilities

It would be *really* nice to have a 'wand' to make it easy to
spray into awkward corners

Either 12 volts or less than 300 watts mains powered so I can tun
it from my 500 watt inverter (copes with 200 watt multi-tool OK).

Any ideas? It's not for super professional finish, more for getting
paint into every nook and cranny.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
I had a cheap little 'airless' paint sprayer bought in France a while
ago and found it handy for certain jobs. It has now gone astray so
I'm looking for a replacement, requirements (or 'nice to have') as
follows:-

Reasonably priced (i.e not hundreds of pounds, my French one was
40 Euros I think)

Easy to clean with minimal use of liquid as this will be used away
from home (often on a boat) away from bulk washing facilities

It would be *really* nice to have a 'wand' to make it easy to
spray into awkward corners

Either 12 volts or less than 300 watts mains powered so I can tun
it from my 500 watt inverter (copes with 200 watt multi-tool OK).

Any ideas? It's not for super professional finish, more for getting
paint into every nook and cranny.

Just searching around it seems that 12 volt compressors aren't all
*that* expensive so compressor + pressure paint sprayer might make
sense. Any/all ideas most welcome.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green has brought this to us :
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

A 12 volt compressor will just not hack it, you would need much more
air volume.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Er, it surely depends on the type of compressor. I don't mean one
intended just for inflating tyres. I have 4 x 100Ah 12 volt batteries
to power it.

For example:-
http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/...r-da5-100.html

However that one is a bit more than I want to spend!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

You need a vast amount of air to spray things - unless a tiny area. HVLP
(basically a fan) is much more efficient than a conventional compressor.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

OK, so I want an HVLP sprayer, at least one thing is decided. :-)

Thanks.

At the moment a Wagner W100 (or W550 as sold by Argos seems the same)
would appear to be a candidate, any comments?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
You need a vast amount of air to spray things - unless a tiny area.
HVLP (basically a fan) is much more efficient than a conventional
compressor.

OK, so I want an HVLP sprayer, at least one thing is decided. :-)

Thanks.

At the moment a Wagner W100 (or W550 as sold by Argos seems the same)
would appear to be a candidate, any comments?

Dunno. I have an Apollo. Pretty old now, but not a bad bit of kit. Turbine
is also useful for drying out pipes before soldering. ;-)

But just as difficult as any other to clean the gun.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

OK, so I want an HVLP sprayer, at least one thing is decided. :-)

At the moment a Wagner W100 (or W550 as sold by Argos seems the same)
would appear to be a candidate, any comments?

Just don't expect to be able to decorate a room without masking off, or
even removing furniture, like these numpties!

https://youtu.be/kJWaReb3YB0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2016 19:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
OK, so I want an HVLP sprayer, at least one thing is decided. :-)
At the moment a Wagner W100 (or W550 as sold by Argos seems the same)
would appear to be a candidate, any comments?

Just don't expect to be able to decorate a room without masking off, or
even removing furniture, like these numpties!
https://youtu.be/kJWaReb3YB0

Couldn't take anything he said seriously once he complained that using
a sprayer without a mask meant he inhaled some dust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Earlex takes a reasonable amount of abuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2016 11:05, Chris Green wrote:
I had a cheap little 'airless' paint sprayer bought in France a while
ago and found it handy for certain jobs. It has now gone astray so
I'm looking for a replacement, requirements (or 'nice to have') as
follows:-

Reasonably priced (i.e not hundreds of pounds, my French one was
40 Euros I think)

Easy to clean with minimal use of liquid as this will be used away
from home (often on a boat) away from bulk washing facilities

It would be *really* nice to have a 'wand' to make it easy to
spray into awkward corners

Either 12 volts or less than 300 watts mains powered so I can tun
it from my 500 watt inverter (copes with 200 watt multi-tool OK).

Any ideas? It's not for super professional finish, more for getting
paint into every nook and cranny.

I have a Earlex electric unit .... works well enough ... fence etc.
wouldn't want to try & paint a car with it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
[...]

Not sure any airless type is OK for things like cellulose paint. But there
are HVLP types which are - for a lot less than a decent high pressure
setup. And are much easier to store. A decent compressor takes up a lot of
room, and isn't really portable.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
rick wrote:
[...]

I've (OP) bought a Wagner W610, about £70. It has the gun separate
from the blower which I felt was important for me. So far I'm quite
impressed, I'm aimimg to get the gun with a long nozzle for it so I
can fire paint etc. into the nether regions of my boat.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Not sure any airless type is OK for things like cellulose paint. But
there are HVLP types which are - for a lot less than a decent high
pressure setup. And are much easier to store. A decent compressor
takes up a lot of room, and isn't really portable.

I've (OP) bought a Wagner W610, about £70. It has the gun separate
from the blower which I felt was important for me. So far I'm quite
impressed, I'm aimimg to get the gun with a long nozzle for it so I
can fire paint etc. into the nether regions of my boat.

That's a good price if it's OK. My Apollo - similar idea with separate gun
and turbine - was about 200 quid many years ago.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I've bought a Wagner W610, about £70.

That's a good price

Can save a tenner buying from amazon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I've bought a Wagner W610, about £70.

That's a good price

Can save a tenner buying from amazon

Just had a look at it. Less than half the power of my Apollo, so I'd guess
not like for like.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I've bought a Wagner W610, about £70.

That's a good price

Can save a tenner buying from amazon

Just had a look at it. Less than half the power of my Apollo, so I'd guess
not like for like.

The spec for the W610 varies from place to place! :-) I was quite
surprised when the actual booklet that comes with it says 450 watts.
That's actually a bit more than I wanted because it's doubtful if my
500 watt inverter on the boat can manage it. However I'm aiming to
get a bigger inverter.

I don't need a 'big' area sprayer anyway, if I spray 1 sq metre it
will be a large area for me. The point of the sprayer for me is to
get coverage into awkward corners.

I was also aware that my £70 wasn't the cheapest but I was in a hurry,
going to France with it the next day.

--
Chris Green
·