Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing screwed-on plasterboard

Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route some
cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be unscrewed and
then put back again, without damaging them?

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:

Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route some
cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be unscrewed and
then put back again, without damaging them?

So long as the screws haven't been overtightened in the first place and
crushed/broken the plaster within the paper (the bugle heads should
/just/ be below the surface) then yes, but I'd probably tighten then
back by hand, not drill/driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, Andy. Incidentally, I've not previously encountered the term "bugle
heads"; interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:

Incidentally, I've not previously encountered the term "bugle heads";
interesting.

For plasterboard screws, they're phillips rather than pozi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As I suppose the name is because there's a gentle curve from the shank out
to the edge of the head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/16 21:50, Bert Coules wrote:
Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route
some cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be
unscrewed and then put back again, without damaging them?

Many thanks.

Yes, if well supported. Go easy with the screws when replacing.

Same reason as you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

Just screw them back in an inch from where
[they] were before with a drill/driver?

So the original screw holes and apertures in the paper are too small to
matter?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Bert Coules wrote:

Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route some
cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be unscrewed and
then put back again, without damaging them?

So long as the screws haven't been overtightened in the first place and
crushed/broken the plaster within the paper (the bugle heads should
/just/ be below the surface) then yes, but I'd probably tighten then
back by hand, not drill/driver.

? Just screw them back in an inch from where were before with a
drill/driver?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2016 22:11, Bert Coules wrote:
As I suppose the name is because there's a gentle curve from the shank
out to the edge of the head.

That's right - designed to pull the board tight but not tear the paper.

They use philips heads so they cam out automatically when they are set
deep enough and you are using the proper shrouded bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 September 2016 21:50:05 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:

Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route some
cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be unscrewed and
then put back again, without damaging them?

Many thanks.

Yes. But they're not very robust once removed from the frame behind.
Always use bugle head plasterboard screws, never ordinary countersunk ones. The latter make a total pigs ear of PB.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Bert Coules" Wrote in message:
Jim K wrote:

Just screw them back in an inch from where
[they] were before with a drill/driver?

So the original screw holes and apertures in the paper are too small to
matter?

Thanks.

To a plasterer no.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:

Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route
some cabling.

Same reason as you

Mine was a different reason ... I'd left my big maglite torch in the
ceiling void after pulling the cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2016 21:50, Bert Coules wrote:
Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route
some cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be
unscrewed and then put back again, without damaging them?

Many thanks.

In principle, yes. But if the boards have been fitted tightly together,
you may damage the edges when removing them. Try to work out in what
order the boards were fitted, and remove them in the reverse order. -
last in, first out, etc.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice; much appreciated.