Old August 5th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

Thanks for any advice.

Gareth

Old August 5th 10, 10:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David
Old August 5th 10, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from
plasterboard walls?

Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David

I agree with that.

--
Adam

Old August 5th 10, 10:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2010 22:41, Lobster wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David

Indeed. Plasterboard is very cheap. You're unlikely to achieve a
re-useable surface after removing tiles, so far easier to replace.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old August 5th 10, 11:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2010 22:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2010 21:38, Gareth wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

For what purpose?

Currently my bathroom is tiled ~halfway up the walls on all four walls.
This is not high enough to prevent water getting onto untiled parts of
the wall when taking a shower, I would therefore like to remove the
tiles and tile all the way up to the ceiling around the bath. The
current tiles are also a bit too dark for my liking.

If they are well stuck and you want to re-tile, then
abrade them with coarse glass paper and tile over.

Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.

To remove, you may have luck with a SDS tile chisel. At best the wall
will probably need a reskim, at worst new plasterboard!

Old August 5th 10, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David

Indeed. Plasterboard is very cheap. You're unlikely to achieve a
re-useable surface after removing tiles, so far easier to replace.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old August 5th 10, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:
On 05/08/2010 22:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2010 21:38, Gareth wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

For what purpose?

Currently my bathroom is tiled ~halfway up the walls on all four walls.
This is not high enough to prevent water getting onto untiled parts of
the wall when taking a shower, I would therefore like to remove the
tiles and tile all the way up to the ceiling around the bath. The
current tiles are also a bit too dark for my liking.

That's the same setup as my bathroom. A lump hammer and cold chisel
worked fine for me. It took a few lumps out of the plasterboard, but
there was still plenty left to stick the new tiles to.

Cheers,

Colin.
Old August 6th 10, 12:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2010 in message
Gareth wrote:

Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.

When I had that problem some years back I sloped the first row of tiles
and then went straight up. It hardly noticed and was easy to keep clean.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
Old August 6th 10, 08:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gareth" wrote

Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.

I got the upper half of the wall skimmed (with bonding plaster) to level
with the face of the lower tiles - then tile over the resulting flat
surface.
As previously mentioned, worth roughening the surface of the tiles on the
lower half of the wall.
Use decent adhesive for tiles-on-tiles - I used BAL White Star.

Phil