Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default White Oak doors - maintaining "light" colour

New doors fitted.
Howdens "linear oak" internal and a front door.

Varnished the outside face of the external door with their suggested
Sadolin Clearcote satin but as expected the "white" colour has gone a
deep golden colour.

Now the lady of the house keeps on saying she "hates" that brown/yellow
colour the existing doors have gone and blames it on the danish oil I
treated them with 8+ or more years ago!
As I pointed out, the completely un-treated skirting boards are even
darker, it's what wood does.

Apparently "the doors on Coronation street are light" LOL

Howdens say their doors are not suitable for wax/oil treatment as it
doesn't fully seal the doors and they need to be varnished as soon as
possible..

Apart from one solution I read ontheline of adding white dye to the
varninsh before application is there any chance of magically preventing
white/light oak from darkening?

I did read that water based clear varnish has a reduced darkening effect
compared to solvent varnish but I fail to see how it's possible to keep
them "light" either permanently or for any length of time.

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

I don't think you have a hope of maintaining a freshly planed white oak
look. Wood is a natural product and is affected by light and moisture.

Is your good lady's skin tone as good as that of a new born and if so
how much has been spent the treatment has it received over the years?
I'll leave it up to you if you decide to go down that path. I expect
some of us can put you up for a few nights if needed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2016 17:44, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I did read that water based clear varnish has a reduced darkening effect
compared to solvent varnish but I fail to see how it's possible to keep
them "light" either permanently or for any length of time.

Yup, could try one of the ronseal quick drying satin finishes - they
darken less than oil or solvent based finishes (they form a film over
rather than sinking in so much.

The other trick to stop wood taking on too much colour from varnish etc,
is to give it a coat of blond shellac as a sealer first.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 00:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/09/2016 17:44, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I did read that water based clear varnish has a reduced darkening effect
compared to solvent varnish but I fail to see how it's possible to keep
them "light" either permanently or for any length of time.

Yup, could try one of the ronseal quick drying satin finishes - they
darken less than oil or solvent based finishes (they form a film over
rather than sinking in so much.

The other trick to stop wood taking on too much colour from varnish etc,
is to give it a coat of blond shellac as a sealer first.

I picked up a pot of the Ronseal clear, quickdry stuff and was ready to
splash it all over but was halted by the quest for the holy grail filled
from the fountain of youth with which to treat the doors.

Women..... bless 'em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2016 19:00, Bob Minchin wrote:

I don't think you have a hope of maintaining a freshly planed white oak
look. Wood is a natural product and is affected by light and moisture.

Logic, fact and evidence were all created by men to annoy women...

Is your good lady's skin tone as good as that of a new born and if so
how much has been spent the treatment has it received over the years?
I'll leave it up to you if you decide to go down that path. I expect
some of us can put you up for a few nights if needed!

It would be safer to simply varnish all the doors while she's out and
suck up the fallout for the next umpteen years....