Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So what is this?

ARW wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

So, when are you going to tell us where you found it? Dug it out of an
apprentice? ;-)

Oddly enough it was stuck to the neutral meter tail inside a meter
cabinet
with a bit of tape.

Presumably just to provide a device readable meter ID. Saves the meter
reader having to enter an address or meter ID number when doing readings.

I don't think so. It was taped in such a way that that it looked like it was
meant to be removed very easily.

So the power company can easily reallocate it to another meter if the
customer changes suppliers?

Just guessing but can anyone suggest a more plausible reason?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 12:59, Tim+ wrote:

Just guessing but can anyone suggest a more plausible reason?

Someone was sold a whole house energy saving device - the new,
ultra-miniaturised, quantum technology version.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

can anyone suggest a more plausible reason?

Someone was sold a whole house energy saving device - the new,
ultra-miniaturised, quantum technology version.

Not available in the shops, only from a bloke in The Nag's Head ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Tim+" wrote in message

So, when are you going to tell us where you found it? Dug it out of an
apprentice? ;-)

Oddly enough it was stuck to the neutral meter tail inside a meter
cabinet
with a bit of tape.

Presumably just to provide a device readable meter ID. Saves the meter
reader having to enter an address or meter ID number when doing readings.

I don't think so.

Bet it was.

It was taped in such a way that that it looked like it was meant to be
removed very easily.

Or the person that put it there was just another sloppy butcher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

So, when are you going to tell us where you found it? Dug it out of an
apprentice? ;-)

Oddly enough it was stuck to the neutral meter tail inside a meter
cabinet
with a bit of tape.

Presumably just to provide a device readable meter ID. Saves the meter
reader having to enter an address or meter ID number when doing
readings.

I don't think so. It was taped in such a way that that it looked like it
was
meant to be removed very easily.

So the power company can easily reallocate it to another meter if the
customer changes suppliers?

Do your power companys all have their own meter readers ?

Here, there is just one meter reader for all the houses so when
you change the power company you use, nothing changes meter
reader wise.

Just guessing but can anyone suggest a more plausible reason?

I dont believe there is one. But it can't be that common if Adam has only
recently seen that unless it was a trial that never went live everywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2016 19:37, ARW wrote:

Oddly enough it was stuck to the neutral meter tail inside a meter
cabinet with a bit of tape.

Now if it was the 'phone cable I'd suspect a bug...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 September 2016 22:31:19 UTC+1, John #9 wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2016 18:45:48 +0100, ARW wrote:

I know that it is a 30mm by 4mm glass capusle with some electronics inside
it.

But other than that I have no idea.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/2/2f/Wtf1.jpg

Is there a magnet-onna-spring inside that coil?

To connect to the other two flux capacitors, you mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 09/09/2016 19:37, ARW wrote:

Oddly enough it was stuck to the neutral meter tail inside a meter
cabinet with a bit of tape.

Now if it was the 'phone cable I'd suspect a bug...

I did put it back - just in case it was important to the last house occupier
or his bosses.

--

Adam