Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default 30mm router bush bodge...

My old wickes branded (draper I think) 1/2" router didn't come
with a 30mm guide bush, but a 22mm one whose outline shape looks
nothing like anything else on eBay etc. This shape is repeated in
the moulded base plate to help it locate, then bolted through to
the metal baseplate.

I want to practice using a kitchen worktop template that needs a
30mm bush...

Any suggestions what I can do (apart from buy another router) to
work around this?

So far I've whittled a plastic section of a pushfit plumbing
connector that is 30.5mm od to be a firm push fit onto the
existing 22mm bush protrusion, but I'm not fantastically
optimistic about its concentricity, longevity etc.

I see Trend do a universal adapter base but have read it uses up
quite a few mm of plunge depth...

Any ingenious ideas from the experts?

TIA

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/16 16:34, jim wrote:
[...]

Some years ago I bought an expensive worktop template and the tool shop
sold me a bush which was not actually a Hitachi part but which seemed to
fit the router okay. The first thing I did with it was to ruin the brand
new template - the bush was not quite 'tall' enough and I made a big
ugly cut into the template edge, making it useless for ever more.

So my only advice is to take great care.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TimW Wrote in message:
On 31/08/16 16:34, jim wrote:
[...]

Noted, thanks.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2016 16:34, jim wrote:
My old wickes branded (draper I think) 1/2" router didn't come
with a 30mm guide bush, but a 22mm one whose outline shape looks
nothing like anything else on eBay etc. This shape is repeated in
the moulded base plate to help it locate, then bolted through to
the metal baseplate.

A photo would be good...

I want to practice using a kitchen worktop template that needs a
30mm bush...

Any suggestions what I can do (apart from buy another router) to
work around this?

Auxiliary base would probably be the way to go.

So far I've whittled a plastic section of a pushfit plumbing
connector that is 30.5mm od to be a firm push fit onto the
existing 22mm bush protrusion, but I'm not fantastically
optimistic about its concentricity, longevity etc.

I see Trend do a universal adapter base but have read it uses up
quite a few mm of plunge depth...

It probably does not matter much since you will be using long reach
worktop cutters for the job.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 4:34:33 PM UTC+1, jim wrote:
[...]

Trend sell a replacement base plate which will fit most routers and which in turn will take standard bushes

https://www.trenddirectuk.com/unibase