Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extractor fan success

Based on previous discussions here, I finally got around to having the
extractor fan set up in the bathroom.

* S&P 250 m3/h quiet fan mounted above the ceiling
* humidistat + timer control on the wall close to the ceiling
* flexible ducting from a grate close to the centre of the ceiling to
the fan, & from the fan to the grate in the outside end wall (above
the ceiling)

The fan is audible, but by no means noisy. I am amazed by how
effectively it removes condensation in the bathroom (I was going to
try this & then consider an illicit dehumidifier arrangement) ---
within 24 hours of firing it up, even with showers in that time, all
the condensation cleared off the ceramic toilet tank, & it has stayed
clear.

The window is still locked "vented" (about 10 mm open) for the summer,
so the fan is mostly replacing bathroom air with outside air. Can I
expect such good results during the winter too, when it's sucking
"indoor" air under the door?

(It's a small bathroom with a radiator. The door has a spring-closer.
The ceiling is now insulated.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/16 12:53, Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

I have an S+P duct fan and I am impressed how fast it can clear the
malodorous vapours from a curry

Mines a bit noisy but that is vent wind noise (I should have used a
"mushroom" vent, not a grille.

Now it's working at last, I am very impressed with the Manrose
timer/humidistat I put in. It even has an external contacts input which
I fitted a momentary pullcord[1] to so you can force the fan to run for
a time.

Does not come on until really needed (I set to around 60% RHD) -
typically in summer a steaming bath with the door closed will start it
going as will movement with water like washing hair.

Might need tweaking in winter when it's colder, but so far it does not
seem to suffer from false triggering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/16 13:33, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

[1] - I meant to add "MK disabled pull cord, with red cord binned and
replaced with white cord". Looks the same as any other pullcord.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-31, Tim Watts wrote:

I have an S+P duct fan and I am impressed how fast it can clear the
malodorous vapours from a curry

Mines a bit noisy but that is vent wind noise (I should have used a
"mushroom" vent, not a grille.

Now it's working at last, I am very impressed with the Manrose
timer/humidistat I put in. It even has an external contacts input which
I fitted a momentary pullcord[1] to so you can force the fan to run for
a time.

I figure I'll just flip the lights on briefly for that. I haven't
needed it yet. But we do normally turn the lights on for a
bath or shower because the bath-shower interior is a bit shaded by the
arrangement of the room.

As well as the lack of toilet "sweat", I've noticed that if I want to
clean the window & mirrors (I use a microfibre glass-cleaning cloth
that's supposed to be used on slightly wet glass) I have to do it
pretty soon after a shower --- I used to have a much longer window
(sorry) of opportunity.

Does not come on until really needed (I set to around 60% RHD) -
typically in summer a steaming bath with the door closed will start it
going as will movement with water like washing hair.

Might need tweaking in winter when it's colder, but so far it does not
seem to suffer from false triggering.

I'll be interested in how it goes over the winter.

SWD success! [email protected] UK diy 5 February 10th 14 11:34 AM
Success! Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 38 May 6th 09 03:12 AM
success is very near s Metalworking 0 June 4th 08 02:43 PM
Success! Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 20th 04 07:40 AM
A Little Success Artemia Salina Metalworking 2 September 10th 04 03:47 AM