Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a fibreglass roofing kit on a bathroom floor.

I recently did a flat roof in fibreglass and am very happy with the result. I now want to create a wet area in my bathroom which is below ground, the floor is screeded. Can anyone see any problems with me just fibreglassing over the screed?

Thanks

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Needless to say I am not worried about how it looks, just that it works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2016 21:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
I recently did a flat roof in fibreglass and am very happy with the result. I now want to create a wet area in my bathroom which is below ground, the floor is screeded. Can anyone see any problems with me just fibreglassing over the screed?

Find an active boating group. There are a lot of boats made with various
fibres and resins. You should be able to get hints on how to make it
properly waterproof and not too slippery.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 August 2016 21:14:06 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
I recently did a flat roof in fibreglass and am very happy with the result. I now want to create a wet area in my bathroom which is below ground, the floor is screeded. Can anyone see any problems with me just fibreglassing over the screed?

Thanks

Brendan.

I presume you'd be better off resinning it, fibreglass not required. It does mean any damp coming up will be concentrated at the edges, with the risk of causing damp brickwork. Bitumen does the same job cheaper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've removed the skirting and the bottom row of tiles and am planning to return the fibreglass up the walls a bit, hopefully the glass mat will give the resin something to cling to as well as providing a textured not very slippery surface. The whole place is damp already.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I completely agree about wet areas normally but this is to allow washing with a shower hose in a sitting position. I will be prepared with squeegees and towels for mopping up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Rednadnerb Wrote in message:
I recently did a flat roof in fibreglass and am very happy with the result. I now want to create a wet area in my bathroom which is below ground, the floor is screeded. Can anyone see any problems with me just fibreglassing over the screed?

Thanks

Brendan.

IMHO wet rooms/areas in this country without underfloor heating
are a complete waste of time and a royal pita.

I stayed in a holiday cottage where all 3 bathrooms had wet shower
areas adjacent to the room entrances. One even had a wet area
shower immediately behind the door in!
Result was that all subsequent bathroom/toilet users had to paddle
through the wet tiled areas to get to the other parts of the
bathroom. ****! get some shower screens!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 00:12:32 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:

I've removed the skirting and the bottom row of tiles and am planning to return the fibreglass up the walls a bit, hopefully the glass mat will give the resin something to cling to as well as providing a textured not very slippery surface. The whole place is damp already.

ISTR resin on glassfibre leaving sharp bits sticking out here & there, but memory probably rusty on that.

If you want to have grip you'd do better with a light sprinkle of fine sand than using glass. Concrete doesn't need the glass.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/16 23:42, jim wrote:
Rednadnerb Wrote in message:
I recently did a flat roof in fibreglass and am very happy with the result. I now want to create a wet area in my bathroom which is below ground, the floor is screeded. Can anyone see any problems with me just fibreglassing over the screed?

Thanks

Brendan.

IMHO wet rooms/areas in this country without underfloor heating
are a complete waste of time and a royal pita.

I stayed in a holiday cottage where all 3 bathrooms had wet shower
areas adjacent to the room entrances. One even had a wet area
shower immediately behind the door in!
Result was that all subsequent bathroom/toilet users had to paddle
through the wet tiled areas to get to the other parts of the
bathroom. ****!
get some shower screens!

I'm glad you said "without UFH"... That's a key factor IMO. The Forest
Holidays (basically Forestry Commission) Log cabins in the Forest of
Dean have wet rooms and UFH and they dry in a matter of 10-15 minutes.
Plus the shower at the other end from the door. The setup you describe
sounds very ill thought out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 00:12:32 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
I've removed the skirting and the bottom row of tiles and am planning to return the fibreglass up the walls a bit, hopefully the glass mat will give the resin something to cling to as well as providing a textured not very slippery surface. The whole place is damp already.

If it's damp,the last thing you want to be doing is covering it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Boats tend to be made in moulds though so I'm not sure you could do this on
a floor. also and I'm reaching back in memory here, there was something
about its pliability if it was not supported properly or under strain
causing cracking, but it was a long time ago, and maybe materials have
improved. It certainly pongs though.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/08/2016 21:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
I recently did a flat roof in fibreglass and am very happy with the
result. I now want to create a wet area in my bathroom which is below
ground, the floor is screeded. Can anyone see any problems with me just
fibreglassing over the screed?

Find an active boating group. There are a lot of boats made with various
fibres and resins. You should be able to get hints on how to make it
properly waterproof and not too slippery.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you all.
That's the one thing I didn't think of, it's going to stink and it's an en-suite.
Too late now, I will just have to take measures.

re roofing with fibreglass and resin [email protected] UK diy 6 May 16th 16 10:53 PM
Fibreglass roofing Pipesliced Home Repair 0 March 4th 07 06:46 PM
Bathroom Floor John UK diy 3 August 24th 06 11:40 AM
Roofing bitumen as a sub floor damp proof membrane ? . UK diy 5 February 21st 06 06:08 PM
new bathroom floor rile Home Repair 1 February 19th 05 11:45 AM