Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bostik

An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/16 10:07, Muddymike wrote:
An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

One of the UHUs I would think, Or evostik

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 10:07:39 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

Mike

It's latex, very soft rubber. Modern equivalent: latex.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/16 10:07, Muddymike wrote:

An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

One of the UHUs I would think, Or evostik

The evil smelly muck has to come from the solvent shed that works rather
than the eco friendly solvent free new formulation.

Not sure how well the latter stands up to being wet.

Some two part PU glues might outperform Bostik if you really need it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 11:15:05 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/08/16 10:07, Muddymike wrote:

An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

One of the UHUs I would think, Or evostik

The evil smelly muck has to come from the solvent shed that works rather
than the eco friendly solvent free new formulation.

Not sure how well the latter stands up to being wet.

Some two part PU glues might outperform Bostik if you really need it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Latex is very soft & easily removed. Quite unlike those others. And PU does not survive being wet for too long, despite what marketing depts want people to think.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

I found a very decent silicone rubber roof leak fixing gunge in Wicks. It
sets hard enough not to rub off on clothes, etc, but remains very flexible.

Comes in a standard sized sealant gun thingie, so lots of gunge for the
money. I've used it on the car to seal things (most notably the rear
lights and badge bar on the old Rover) - as it seems to stick to pretty
well everything. Black in colour.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:07:32 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

Not a recommendation so much as a suggestion:

You could try the "Fantastic Elastic Flexible Glue" sold by Poundland
in 20g tubes. I used it to repair one of those cheap Chinese solar
powered lanterns about a month ago to reattach the fabric and spring
collapsible globular shade to its top mount with hanging hook wherein the
solar cell/NiMH cell and white LED reside.

It's been hanging off of the far end of our washing line in the back
garden ever since with no signs of deterioration in the glued repair
which seems to endorse the claim: "Highly resistant to shock impact,
water and extreme temperatures".

However, this claim seems contrary to the the advice given elsewhere on
the package: "For indoor use only". I can't imagine where high resistance
to water would be useful in an indoors environment short of being used in
close proximity to a shower head or for fixing something onto a sink
splash-back or a similarly frequently drenched location.

My experience suggests that maybe it shouldn't be used where it will be
permanently immersed in water such as sticking something onto the bottom
of a pond liner or repairing a small pond/fountain pump since a month's
worth of a mixed bag of weather conditions including a mix of several
heavy and light rain showers seems to have done it no harm.

For just a quid, I think it might well be worth a punt unless you're
anticipating the bell housing spending days or weeks submerged in a deep
pool of water on a regular basis. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It depends what you are after. I'd not use anything flammable and I thought
Bostik was. Uhu used to make a glue a bit like the one you mention.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Muddymike" wrote in message
An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the front
output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only made one
type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2016 08:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
It depends what you are after. I'd not use anything flammable and I thought
Bostik was. Uhu used to make a glue a bit like the one you mention.
Brian

I'm after something that does the same as original Bostik. The idea is
to stick rubber to aluminium in such a way that it can be removed at a
later date without destroying the rubber.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 11:21:12 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 25 August 2016 11:15:05 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/08/16 10:07, Muddymike wrote:

An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the
front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only
made one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

One of the UHUs I would think, Or evostik

The evil smelly muck has to come from the solvent shed that works rather
than the eco friendly solvent free new formulation.

Not sure how well the latter stands up to being wet.

Some two part PU glues might outperform Bostik if you really need it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Latex is very soft & easily removed. Quite unlike those others.

Oops, I was thinking of copydex there, not bostik.

And PU does not survive being wet for too long, despite what marketing depts want people to think.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 August 2016 10:23:52 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

I'm after something that does the same as original Bostik. The idea is
to stick rubber to aluminium in such a way that it can be removed at a
later date without destroying the rubber.

Mike

I'd think silicone would do that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets
to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the front
output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when Bostik only made
one type of glue.

What would you recommend as today's equivalent?

Mike

It was only flammable before it set.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2016 14:40, Dave W wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
It depends what you are after. I'd not use anything flammable and I
thought Bostik was. Uhu used to make a glue a bit like the one you
mention.
Brian

It was only flammable before it set.

The petroleum based solvent was highly flammable in vapour form. Not a
good idea to smoke when using it.

The cured organic glue itself would burn quite nicely too once alight.

Others have suggested silicone sealant but you might need to be careful
there - most of them emit acetic acid as they cure and that may have
serious corrosive effects on mild steel or aluminium parts.

Acrylic sealant might be a better choice. But real Bostik is still
available if you ask nicely in the sheds. It won't be on the shelf
because solvent based glues because popular for abuse.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
The petroleum based solvent was highly flammable in vapour form. Not a
good idea to smoke when using it.

It's an urban myth that smoking can ignite petrol fumes. Only the match or
lighter you use to light the fag can.

--
*What boots up must come down *