Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC GCSE quiz

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:58:28 +0100, tim... wrote:

On 29/08/16 10:51, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Halmyre wrote:
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:37:07 PM UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Dan S. MacAbre

scribeth thus
Tim Lamb wrote:
I'm a clever rabbit!

Me too, but I wouldn't have done so well at school age. I read
The Aeneid in my early twenties, but would have shuddered at the
thought at age 16 :-) I guessed the one about the village.

Managed 7/7 which is err, rather surprising;!...

-- Tony Sayer

So did I, but I chose Dido for The Aeneid as the only one I'd
heard
of,
and guessed "Commuter village" as being some current fad
description that should never have been required to be learnt and
regurgitated.

Yes, I've never heard the expression either.

perhaps you have to live in one (or near one) to know the expression

I've heard the term "dormitory village" for years: I'm sure I learned
in in O Level Geography in the late 70s. And although I'd not heard of
"commuter village" before, its meaning is very obviously a synonym for
dormitory village. That was one of the easier questions and came into
the category of "you can work it out from common sense and prior
knowledge", as you can with most of them except the Dido one which is
"you either know this fact or you don't, but you can't work it out".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_and_Aeneas

Which its hard not to have heard of at least once in your life.

you are right

I have heard of it now because of that question

but until then I have never

and why should I?

Just shows you that even the soap powder adverts have suffered from "The
Dumbing Down" effect. I think a surprisingly large number of the older UK
TV viewing populous may have been able to correctly guess the answer to
question 1 from the free biochemistry lesson that used to be part of the
earlier Bio-soap powder adverts. :-)

what's that got to do with my never having heard of some Greek rulers

written about by some Roman fellar that I have also never heard of

in some "book" that AFAICT isn't on the reading list for the average 15-16
year old

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 29/08/16 10:51, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Halmyre
wrote:
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:37:07 PM UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
scribeth thus
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

I think the enzyme one was 'you either know it or you don't'

We hear the lament every 11th of November;(..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZTaBe4fRw

52:00 in...
--
Tony Sayer

Quiz [email protected] Metalworking 5 October 10th 11 01:35 AM
(OT) M25 Quiz Phil Jessop UK diy 26 December 23rd 10 10:45 PM
DIY quiz Frank[_13_] Home Repair 0 March 22nd 10 07:16 PM
A quiz for rcm David Lesher Metalworking 26 September 26th 09 03:48 PM
Fake GCSE, GCE Results [email protected] UK diy 0 April 13th 09 03:21 AM