Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inverter quality.

1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...ectid%3D169391
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2016 01:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:

1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

Presumably taking 140A from a car 'cigarette' lighter socket!

Or flattening the average car battery in a very short time using the
alternative leads.

The device is probably specified as peak power during the spikes on the
"modified output sine wave"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not going to run a lot on 1.5kw though are you.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...ectid%3D169391

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2016 01:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be
true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...ectid%3D169391

It looks like the 12V cable would melt at 1500W (well over 100A).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2016 01:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

Work of pure fiction. Chinese watts must be 10x SI watts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...0V-AC-USB-UK-/

See note 1. It is guaranteed to work for perhaps at most 10 minutes from
new and will promptly expire if you try to use at "rated" power.

Reasonable ones rated ~300W can be had for about that sort of price and
that is a more realistic current draw from a car battery/cig lighter.

Try Amazon for ones that might actually work at a decent price.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/16 09:31, Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/08/2016 01:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be
true?

Work of pure fiction. Chinese watts must be 10x SI watts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...0V-AC-USB-UK-/

See note 1. It is guaranteed to work for perhaps at most 10 minutes from
new and will promptly expire if you try to use at "rated" power.

That is peak power, and not continuous thermal power.

In all probability its good for about 500W.

Reasonable ones rated ~300W can be had for about that sort of price and
that is a more realistic current draw from a car battery/cig lighter.

If you want to put 25A through a car ciggy lighter be my guest.

Mine is fused at 15A !!!!!

Try Amazon for ones that might actually work at a decent price.

Regards,
Martin Brown

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/08/2016 01:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

Work of pure fiction. Chinese watts must be 10x SI watts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...0V-AC-USB-UK-/

See note 1. It is guaranteed to work for perhaps at most 10 minutes from
new and will promptly expire if you try to use at "rated" power.

Reasonable ones rated ~300W can be had for about that sort of price and
that is a more realistic current draw from a car battery/cig lighter.

Try Amazon for ones that might actually work at a decent price.

Fag lighter sockets are generally rated at 10 amps. So 120 input watts.
And I'd personally not trust any at that for long.

Of course if you're not using the full rating of the inverter may be OK.
But I'd except a 300w type to come with a direct battery connection lead
too.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Modified sine wave is a 2 step square wave that some things dont like.

Decent inverters can output a true sine wave but cost goes up a bit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-Ph...-/301488987580
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ahh, searching on pure sine brings up the cheaper end of the market, trust me 100A+ needs thicker input copper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-3000...-/172203971535
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/16 13:17, Adam Aglionby wrote:
ahh, searching on pure sine brings up the cheaper end of the market, trust me 100A+ needs thicker input copper

No, it doesn't. Depends on how long and how much drop is tolerable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-3000...-/172203971535

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 August 2016 09:31:28 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/08/2016 01:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

Work of pure fiction. Chinese watts must be 10x SI watts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500W-...0V-AC-USB-UK-/

See note 1. It is guaranteed to work for perhaps at most 10 minutes from
new and will promptly expire if you try to use at "rated" power.

Reasonable ones rated ~300W can be had for about that sort of price and
that is a more realistic current draw from a car battery/cig lighter.

Try Amazon for ones that might actually work at a decent price.

Ah yes the Amazon experience so much more pleasant to work from them. But at least their slaves aren't well fed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 August 2016 13:17:06 UTC+1, Adam Aglionby wrote:
ahh, searching on pure sine brings up the cheaper end of the market, trust me 100A+ needs thicker input copper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-3000...-/172203971535

In practice it's how much heat the insulation will stand is the limiting factor.
Also ambient tempersture and cooling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

The cheapest pure sine wave one I can find from a reputable source is

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK652100.html

300w for 60 squid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 1:27:04 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/08/16 13:17, Adam Aglionby wrote:
ahh, searching on pure sine brings up the cheaper end of the market, trust me 100A+ needs thicker input copper

No, it doesn't. Depends on how long and how much drop is tolerable

TBH the supplied strap looks more like a fuse for the item than a supply cable.

Experience tells me that by the time the insulation is fuming off , voltage drop and T copper is already a problem ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-3000...-/172203971535

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

12v up to 24v inverter Nthkentman[_2_] UK diy 20 January 4th 14 12:33 PM
Inverter lord051 Electronics Repair 8 June 18th 11 08:06 AM
LCD inverter Michael Kennedy[_2_] Electronics Repair 4 December 12th 09 08:34 AM
Using the inverter from an inverter generator? Toller Home Repair 2 May 15th 07 12:41 PM
OT - Magical HF inverter Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 45 January 24th 05 05:47 AM