Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Sleeve anchors or expanding bolts?

Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 15:48, GB wrote:
Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g

Bigger hole needed for the M10 ones.

I've only ever used the "eazyfix" type, I'd always choose them over the
other type purely because they "look" like they're more ruffty tufty and
I absolutely over-engineer everything I build/make/do so the choice is easy.

@ £1.99 for 5 you can't go wrong....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 15:54, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I've only ever used the "eazyfix" type, I'd always choose them over the
other type purely because they "look" like they're more ruffty tufty and
I absolutely over-engineer everything I build/make/do so the choice is easy.

@ £1.99 for 5 you can't go wrong....

Risk of cracking compared with resin fix or screws (eg Multi Monti)?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 15:48:06 UTC+1, GB wrote:
Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g

Many sleeve bolts will fit through the hole in the object you're trying to fix. Sometimes this can be handy.
But they're not quite as strong, sometimes this doesn't matter.

If you want a "non-expanding" one (near an edge say) you should use one of the "glue in" ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 15:48, GB wrote:
Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g

Use masonry bolts, unbelievably strong fixing, easy, don't crack bricks.
I use these to fix awnings and ledger plates for decking.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...y+Bolt+/p28067

I often have to use a 15" breaker bar & socket to screw them in fully!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g

Neither, both went out with the Ark.

I didn't think they were even made any more since masonry bolts came onto
the scene about ten years ago, drill the hole and screw it in using a
socket, the thing cuts it's own thread inside the brick without expanding.
(Expanding, more often than not, cracks the brick, making the fixing
useless)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Used masonry bolts for the first time recently to fix some post sockets to a concrete base and was really pleased with how they went in and the strength of the fix. I do not think I will go back to rawlbolts or sleeve anchors.. One bit of advice is to over drill the hole depth and try to get as much of the dust out before inserting the bolt.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/17/2016 6:48 PM, David Lang wrote:
On 17/08/2016 15:48, GB wrote:
Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g

Use masonry bolts, unbelievably strong fixing, easy, don't crack bricks.
I use these to fix awnings and ledger plates for decking.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...y+Bolt+/p28067

I often have to use a 15" breaker bar & socket to screw them in fully!

Not tried those, looks like a multi monti clone. Before I checked the
link I was going to say they (MMs) are the dogs whatsits for fastening
close to the edge of brickwork. Main secret is to get the correct size
of pilot hole, and make sure it is a bit deeper than the bolt so that
any loose debris has somewhere to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

Used masonry bolts for the first time recently to fix some post sockets to

a concrete base and was really pleased with how they went in and the
strength of the fix. I do not think I will go back to rawlbolts or
sleeve anchors. One bit of advice is to over drill the hole depth and
try to get as much of the dust out before inserting the bolt.

Richard

Do they make them with a bit of thread rather than a hex head so you can
make a demountable fixture?
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 21:25, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Used masonry bolts for the first time recently to fix some post sockets to

a concrete base and was really pleased with how they went in and the
strength of the fix. I do not think I will go back to rawlbolts or
sleeve anchors. One bit of advice is to over drill the hole depth and
try to get as much of the dust out before inserting the bolt.

Richard

Do they make them with a bit of thread rather than a hex head so you can
make a demountable fixture?

yes. Eg

http://www.tradefixdirect.com/nails-screws-fixings/fixings/nails-screws-heco-fix-multi-monti/heco-fix-multi-monti-metric-stud

I leave them screwed into the walls ready to take a hanger when ladder
goes up to work on gutter etc or (increasingly rarely) go onto the roof.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

Used masonry bolts for the first time recently to fix some post sockets to

a concrete base and was really pleased with how they went in and the
strength of the fix. I do not think I will go back to rawlbolts or
sleeve anchors. One bit of advice is to over drill the hole depth and
try to get as much of the dust out before inserting the bolt.

Richard

Do they make them with a bit of thread rather than a hex head so you can
make a demountable fixture?

Thanks. An excellent idea. I have come across a wood screw version
(which needed two nuts to insert it convincingly), but I trust this much
more than rawlbolts in relatively soft masonry, let alone the edge(sic)
cases.

I have used sink mounting studs which fitted in giant (well 12mm)
rawlplugs which must have been poking out of the spalling on the back of
the blocks, and I still worry about that sink.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
Is there any practical difference - for fixing into brickwork?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fs...-20-pack/89358

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sh...m-5-pack/6008g

Sleeve anchors are cheap and quick for lightish permanant loads.

Rawlbolts for a very strong fixing into strong masonry. And far better for
things which may need to be removed on occasion.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.