Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Auger bit in a power drill?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

Its not a brace bit as it has a round shank to fit a drill chuck.

I would make sure you have a low speed drill before using it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17-Aug-16 3:00 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

Its not a brace bit as it has a round shank to fit a drill chuck.

I would make sure you have a low speed drill before using it.

Great. Thanks for the prompt reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 14:46:50 UTC+1, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

Easily. I've drilled loads of holes with a 1" auger in a historic B&D drill. You do need 2 speed gearbox for that - 10mm ought to manage without though. And you need reverse to get it out again, or some tough gloves.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

They work best on drills with a low speed gearing and lots of torque.

I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

Different end on the shaft - they have a square drive (tapered) normally.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

When I was drilling a lot in oak I took to removing or shortening the
pointy threaded tip sometimes. It pulled the drill in too strongly and
the process was much easier going with the pressure reduced, but ymmv.

A cheap drill went up in flames (literally) on one occasion, but yes is
the answer, with care.
tw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:46:47 +0100, GB
wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

Depending on what you are trying to do, I've had good success with
Forstner Auger bits in std drills:

http://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/a...er-drill-bits/

I think I used one to chain-drill a line across a sub-terrain wood
gate post with the bit in a long extension and think it was probably
tougher than the alternatives.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/17/2016 2:46 PM, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

As others have said, they are fine. Best to use low speed on a two speed
drill, and keep the speed down with the trigger. More care needed in oak
than in softwood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 21:19:01 UTC+1, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 21:19, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

I think you are seeing two facets of a hex shaft.

That's quite different from the shaft for a brace:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...ter-auger-bits

You can also get adaptors that will allow a power tool style bit to be
driven with a brace:

http://www.fine-tools.com/bohr1.html (toward the bottom of the page)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 21:12, newshound wrote:
On 8/17/2016 2:46 PM, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

As others have said, they are fine. Best to use low speed on a two speed
drill, and keep the speed down with the trigger. More care needed in oak
than in softwood.

If you need to reduce the "pull" of the worm drive on a one off basis
(rather than permanently by grinding the worm off/down) pre drill a
small (say 4mm) hole with a normal bit first. That will leave the worm
with far less material to engage with.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 15:00, dennis@home wrote:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a
brace before.

Its not a brace bit as it has a round shank to fit a drill chuck.

I would make sure you have a low speed drill before using it.

Be careful, it can suddenly snatch and hurt your wrist.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

NT

I'd firstly check the resultant diameterwould fit in my chuck....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

NT

I'd firstly check the resultant diameterwould fit in my chuck....

If it didn't I'm not sure it would be able to turn it in the first
place! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

NT

I'd firstly check the resultant diameterwould fit in my chuck....

If it didn't I'm not sure it would be able to turn it in the first
place! ;-)

If it weren't for the narrower tapered end visible in the pictures
you mean ? ;-)

But that wouldn't be there if it was cut off eh? ;-)

(Not that you would have needed to because it was hex not square).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

NT

I'd firstly check the resultant diameterwould fit in my chuck....

If it didn't I'm not sure it would be able to turn it in the first
place! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

The extra information says it needs a chuck with 12mm capacity so it
must be for power drills. I would call it a "Tweeny bit" which is
brilliant for drilling where you cant get your weight behind the drill
as it pulls itself through the wood.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

I'd firstly check the resultant diameter
would fit in my chuck....

Congratulations on figuring out the totally obvious. Maybe you should recommend not cutting one's fingers off at the same time too.

I've never had one of those bits whose shank would not fit.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

I'd firstly check the resultant diameter
would fit in my chuck....

Congratulations on figuring out the totally obvious. Maybe you should recommend not cutting one's fingers off at the same time too.

I've never had one of those bits whose shank would not fit.

I'd be surprised if you have any.

NT

Weather to hot for you again Not Tried Nor Tested?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

I'd firstly check the resultant diameter
would fit in my chuck....

Congratulations on figuring out the totally obvious. Maybe you should recommend not cutting one's fingers off at the same time too.

I've never had one of those bits whose shank would not fit.

I'd be surprised if you have any.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...to_powered_use

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

I'd firstly check the resultant diameter
would fit in my chuck....

Congratulations on figuring out the totally obvious. Maybe you should recommend not cutting one's fingers off at the same time too.

I've never had one of those bits whose shank would not fit.

I'd be surprised if you have any.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...to_powered_use

NT

I'd be even more surprised if you've ever done it. :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

I'd firstly check the resultant diameter
would fit in my chuck....

Congratulations on figuring out the totally obvious. Maybe you should recommend not cutting one's fingers off at the same time too.

I've never had one of those bits whose shank would not fit.

I'd be surprised if you have any.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...to_powered_use

I'd be even more surprised if you've ever done it. :-)

Right after I showed you a picture of one I've done. Lol, you couldn't make it up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auge...0x-200mm/92960

Can you use this in a power drill?

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

Er when I zoom the image I'm seeing a square shaft?...

Cut the end of your shank off with an angle grinder.

I'd firstly check the resultant diameter
would fit in my chuck....

Congratulations on figuring out the totally obvious. Maybe you should recommend not cutting one's fingers off at the same time too.

I've never had one of those bits whose shank would not fit.

I'd be surprised if you have any.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...to_powered_use

I'd be even more surprised if you've ever done it. :-)

Right after I showed you a picture of one I've done. Lol, you couldn't make it up.

NT

Crumbs! a picture....

LoL you do make it up :-)
--