Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Summer house replacement base

I have a 10ft x 8 ft summerhouse which I inherited a couple of years
ago,previous owner had it on a concrete Base and was in perfect condition.
My ex laid a bed of slabs spaced apart and built summerhouse on that. I
recently went to replace the carpet that was over the wooden Base and found at
the back it had been getting damp.i think this was due to us storing things at
the back of it and water getting behind and sitting at the bottom.
I dismantled the thing this weekend and the floor is in 2 half's both pieces
at the back have rot and the wooden frame at the back is completely rotten
and so are some of the t & g boards back to the first bearer approx 2 ft.
Now I'm figuring what would be the best way to repair.
Ive searched and cannot find wood the same size as the bearers that are
currently on the Base,nor can I find tongue and groove in the same size.
I thought to build a new framework and put osb ply on and build the
summerhouse back up on that but the slabs my ex laid appear not to be fully
level,I can't lift them as the edge ones go halfway under decking that was
built either side of the summerhouse, so options to make the framework level
were to use adjustable feet so cam heighten and lower parts, putting legs
inside each corner to raise each side to a level height, or just put back on
the slabs as they are.
Buy a ready made Base or kit from a supplier. Looking at which will be the
cheapest option as just had to remortgage to pay ex so money is tight right
now,
Have had that many ideas I'm not sure on the best way to go,as need to get it
sorted as don't want it left in bits for too long, many thanks in advance

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...e-1149130-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 August 2016 22:44:02 UTC+1, suzanne wrote:

I have a 10ft x 8 ft summerhouse which I inherited a couple of years
ago,previous owner had it on a concrete Base and was in perfect condition.
My ex laid a bed of slabs spaced apart and built summerhouse on that. I
recently went to replace the carpet that was over the wooden Base and found at
the back it had been getting damp.i think this was due to us storing things at
the back of it and water getting behind and sitting at the bottom.
I dismantled the thing this weekend and the floor is in 2 half's both pieces
at the back have rot and the wooden frame at the back is completely rotten
and so are some of the t & g boards back to the first bearer approx 2 ft.
Now I'm figuring what would be the best way to repair.

A clear picture or 2 would surely help.

Ive searched and cannot find wood the same size as the bearers that are
currently on the Base,nor can I find tongue and groove in the same size.

What are those sizes?

I thought to build a new framework and put osb ply on and build the
summerhouse back up on that but the slabs my ex laid appear not to be fully
level,I can't lift them as the edge ones go halfway under decking that was
built either side of the summerhouse,

a picture would save time

so options to make the framework level
were to use adjustable feet so cam heighten and lower parts, putting legs
inside each corner to raise each side to a level height, or just put back on
the slabs as they are.
Buy a ready made Base or kit from a supplier. Looking at which will be the
cheapest option as just had to remortgage to pay ex so money is tight right
now,
Have had that many ideas I'm not sure on the best way to go,as need to get it
sorted as don't want it left in bits for too long, many thanks in advance

There are lots of options. Start by ruling out anything pre-made at huge markup & showing us pics. And:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2016 22:44, suzanne wrote:

I have a 10ft x 8 ft summerhouse which I inherited a couple of years
ago,previous owner had it on a concrete Base and was in perfect condition.
My ex laid a bed of slabs spaced apart and built summerhouse on that. I
recently went to replace the carpet that was over the wooden Base and
found at
the back it had been getting damp.i think this was due to us storing
things at
the back of it and water getting behind and sitting at the bottom. I
dismantled the thing this weekend and the floor is in 2 half's both pieces
at the back have rot and the wooden frame at the back is completely rotten
and so are some of the t & g boards back to the first bearer approx 2
ft.

I had a similar problem with a shed that was here when I moved in. The
roof had not been maintained and had leaked as well as various other
problems. In the end I could save about half the roof and half the
floor. I used the good timbers from there to repair the back corner than
was rotten. I made up new floor bearers, and put in a 3/4" WBP ply
floor, new roof joists, and a 1/2" OSB deck.

Now I'm figuring what would be the best way to repair. Ive searched
and cannot find wood the same size as the bearers that are
currently on the Base,

The dimensions are not going to be critical, although you may need to
run new ones under the whole thing.

nor can I find tongue and groove in the same size.
I thought to build a new framework and put osb ply on and build the
summerhouse back up on that but the slabs my ex laid appear not to be fully
level,I can't lift them as the edge ones go halfway under decking that was
built either side of the summerhouse, so options to make the framework
level
were to use adjustable feet so cam heighten and lower parts, putting legs
inside each corner to raise each side to a level height, or just put
back on
the slabs as they are.

On my shed I had a similar problem. So I bought a few large dense
concrete blocks from the builders merchant, and then worked out what
size of block I needed in each pad location, and just cut them to the
required size with a 9" angle grinder. So the bearers (wrapped in DPC
material at the contact points) sit on the concrete pads, and they in
turn sit on the base and tune out any error in level.

Buy a ready made Base or kit from a supplier. Looking at which will be the
cheapest option as just had to remortgage to pay ex so money is tight right
now, Have had that many ideas I'm not sure on the best way to go,as need
to get it
sorted as don't want it left in bits for too long, many thanks in advance

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]