Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC windows: Locking strip/mechanism repairable?

One of my UPVC windows has a locking strip that no longer works. The handle's shaft turns okay, but it doesn't cause the sliding strip with the locking studs to slide at all. I took the handle off, and the shaft is still good and square and so is the hole into which it fits. So the problem is somewhere else. Is there any way to fix this, without replacing the whole window?

Thanks,
JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 1:33:17 PM UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 06/08/2016 11:57, wrote:
One of my UPVC windows has a locking strip that no longer works. The handle's shaft turns okay, but it doesn't cause the sliding strip with the locking studs to slide at all. I took the handle off, and the shaft is still good and square and so is the hole into which it fits. So the problem is somewhere else. Is there any way to fix this, without replacing the whole window?

Thanks,
JD

Take some pictures and post them on the internet.

These people are very helpful.

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc...r-handles.html

--
Michael Chare

---

Thanks! I was going to ask where I might get an identical replacement. They seem to be a very non-standard item that vary a lot between different window manufacturers.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc...r-handles.html

Thanks! I was going to ask where I might get an identical
replacement. They seem to be a very non-standard item that vary a lot
between different window manufacturers.

Look closely, I bet there's a manufacturer's name or logo stamped into
it somewhere, sometimes even the screws are stamped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 13:53:54 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc...acement-parts/

upvc-door-handles.html

Thanks! I was going to ask where I might get an identical replacement.
They seem to be a very non-standard item that vary a lot between
different window manufacturers.

Look closely, I bet there's a manufacturer's name or logo stamped into
it somewhere, sometimes even the screws are stamped.

There don't seem to be all that many different manufacturers of the
actual units.

Oh, a lesson perhaps for many. Do some maintenance on the windows..clean,
oil, grease. I just did mine for the first time ever, and was amazed at
how much improved the mechanism is - much less force required on the
handle!

(I was only inspired to do it after cleaning the curtain rail and
realising how much difference that made)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2016 13:37, wrote:
On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 12:09:40 PM UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 06/08/2016 11:57,
wrote:
One of my UPVC windows has a locking strip that no longer works.
The handle's shaft turns okay, but it doesn't cause the sliding
strip with the locking studs to slide at all. I took the handle
off, and the shaft is still good and square and so is the hole
into which it fits. So the problem is somewhere else. Is there
any way to fix this, without replacing the whole window?

Its a very common problem that the mechanism breaks inside.

The parts are readily available and quite affordable, well they
were for the ones I had trouble with.

Orders of magnitude cheaper than replacing the whole window, and
less disruptive.

Thanks to all for the replies. You've really made my day! I thought
the strip looked unremoveable, but after reading Fredxxx's reply, I
tried removing the screws and the whole enchilada came out, easy as
pie! Woohoo!

That's brill. The biggest problem I had was opening the window after the
casting had broken around the square "hole".

Window people just wanted to change the whole window, and of course it
wouldn't have matched the others.

There are a few websites that deal with double glazing hardware. I had
to cut things down to size and some screw holes were in a different place.

With luck there will be a part number on your window hardware you can
lookup with various suppliers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Eager wrote in
:

wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc...acement-parts/
upvc-door-handles.html

Thanks! I was going to ask where I might get an identical
replacement. They seem to be a very non-standard item that vary a
lot between different window manufacturers.

Look closely, I bet there's a manufacturer's name or logo stamped
into it somewhere, sometimes even the screws are stamped.

There don't seem to be all that many different manufacturers of the
actual units.

Oh, a lesson perhaps for many. Do some maintenance on the
windows..clean, oil, grease. I just did mine for the first time ever,
and was amazed at how much improved the mechanism is - much less
force required on the handle!

(I was only inspired to do it after cleaning the curtain rail and
realising how much difference that made)

+1

+ another 1
Taa for the reminder, I'll be doing this tomorrow.