Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish: Turning circles

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:51:05 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 23/07/2016 22:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 05:53:14 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:48:22 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Only things I had to get done on the Golf were suspension type
stuff (it
was 16 years old, so to be expected, especially with the 1000s of
speedbumps round here which I ignore).

I did have a few warranty claims with mine, head gasket, and
the bonnet release,

Bonnet releases are **** on all cars, they use a ****ing bicycle brake
cable to release a bonnet!

Not all of them do.

Every one I've had does. What other mechanism is there?

Ford Focus (and possibly other Fords) have a keyhole behind the badge.
Flip badge through 90°, insert key, turn 90° one way, bonnet pops to
safety latch position, turn 180° in the opposite direction, hold, lift
the bonnet.

I haven't owned a ford since an M reg Mondeo and an H reg Sierra.

The engine etc never had a problem. I'm surprised a Polo (which is
just
smaller Golf?) was unreliable.

Yeah, I was rather surprised too.

Mine was a diesel, was your mate's petrol?

Yep. So is my Getz and my Golf preceded it.

Petrol sux.

Doesn't stink like diesel does.

They both have a strong smell. Some people hate one more than the
other. I like both. Except if I'm carsick, then petrol is horrid and
diesel is ok.

I love the smell of diesel.

Me too. I like the smell at the big London railway stations with roofs over them.

Possibly due to testing a couple of large
(24MW) generator sets. Prior to testing, we had to ensure that the fuel
pipes (3" pipe) to the RB211s powering them were clean. That meant
circulating diesel through them, with mesh screens in a number of the
joint; getting a fitter to split the joints (catching the spilled diesel
in deep trays) and checking the screens for debris. This meant 30 to 50
litres of diesel, every hour for weeks. We were giving it away to the
welding crews (diesel powered generators), filling the tanks for the
lighting towers, filling the site and project generators, giving it to
the crane drivers - frequently struggling to find anywhere to put it. As
we were a helpful lot (and had nothing else to do while this as
happening anyway), we generally helped the fitter out, so every night we
went home stinking of diesel and with our white overalls stained pink by
the red diesel every day.

Share the wealth :-)

I find more problems with the engines,

Used to be, but with modern computer controlled
engines those problems are pretty much gone now.

My last engine broke due to water inside it and a jumped timing belt. I
guess a diesel could have done that too.

Unfortunately diesels now have so many things added to improve their
emissions that they are far more prone to problems and can be a
nightmare to diagnose. Gone are the days when diesels needed little
maintenance, would run on almost anything and were simple to fix.

****ing EU.

--
Muslims have gone on the rampage in Manchester, killing anyone who's English. Police fear the death toll could be as high as 8 or 9.

Otis: Turning circles James Wilkinson UK diy 29 July 31st 16 08:11 PM
OTish: Turning circles harry UK diy 1 July 26th 16 07:40 AM
TABLESAWN CIRCLES J T Woodworking 0 December 1st 05 03:07 PM