Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Signalex Android phone charger stand from Poundland.

I bought one of these yesterday. Small problem, the plug which
is polarised is reversed where it connects to the phone, so the phone is
backwards! I took it back today and found that they had two versions of
phone charger stand and both were wrong. Following a conversation with
the shelf stacker, I pointed out that I had two Android phones, one only
a few months old, and neither fitted. He retired with the defective
stand to talk to his manager, who tried his Samsung in it and it didn't
fit either! Anyway, I looked at the alternative wrong stand and reckoned
that I could get the assembly apart with a bit of luck and then reverse
the phone connecting micro usb plug. I was lucky, it was reversible and
no one had glued the two halves of the case together. The friction fit
was OK . It's quite a nice stand, so I might buy a couple more. Looks
like Poundland are going to have to send back around 100K phone stands,
at the suppliers cost, if the rest of the shops have the same problem!
Ouch! Look out for them in local markets soon, as the shipping/repair
costs don't warrant a factory return.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 17:21:18 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
[...]

At least this time it's not an electrical safety issue.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 17:21:33 +0100, Capitol wrote:

snip

Anyway, I looked at the alternative wrong stand and reckoned
that I could get the assembly apart with a bit of luck and then reverse
the phone connecting micro usb plug. I was lucky, it was reversible and
no one had glued the two halves of the case together. The friction fit
was OK .

snip

I picked up a USB uUSB charger cable the other day where the
plastic outer shell on the uUSB connector was like yours, just held on
with a friction fit (and reversible). The only merit in this case was
you could make it so the 'USB' symbol was on the top if using it on
the same phone all the time (or all phones that happened to have the
socket that way up, without the std trial-and-error or looking first I
mean). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah the old left hand right hand issue again. I always worry about some
people guiding me as a blind person as half of the people say left when they
mean right if they happen to be facing the other way. I am glad such people
are not flying drones thats all.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends if it came with a wall wart. hopefully not. I've had some pretty
dire designs of these in the past. USB chargers that are held together with
two screws like we used to see in cassettes and then when you pull them out
of the socket they let go and allow the fingers to touch the live pins
inside. also no sign of fuses or overheat cut outs, just a tiny transformer
and a couple of chips and if it all goes short, black smoke and a nasty pong
occur.
I'd not want to use such things on expensive devices to charge them up.
Brian

--
----- -

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 07:52:35 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Ah the old left hand right hand issue again. I always worry about some
people guiding me as a blind person as half of the people say left when they
mean right if they happen to be facing the other way.

I'm often amazed how many people (adults specifically) don't know
their left from right, or don't know it instinctively, so I'm not
surprised you say they don't know how to direct you correctly.

If we had just met and you were asking for assistance towards say a
letterbox I'd say 'to your right'. If we were together longer I would
drop the 'your' as it would be assumed (it was 'you' I would be
assisting, not anyone else). 'To the right' ...

Similar with people having issues 'undoing' something like a tap or
nut and bolt, like it's something that changes all the time? ;-)

I am glad such people
are not flying drones thats all.

I'm not sure I'm fully comfortable with all the dimensions of a drone
yet (compared with a fixed wing plane even) but with an RC electric
car I have been known to win a race driving it all backwards. ;-)

In fact, I can't remember a time or instance when I've steered an RC
car the wrong direction because it was coming towards me (but I guess
I must have done right at the beginning).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Businesses do not have the right to return goods at the suppliers cost. It
will depend on the contract, and as some pound shop stock is bankrupt stock
there may not even be a business to return them to.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

They do when they are as big as Poundland and the branded product
is manufactured to the wrong specification! The supplier is also
frequently liable for Poundlands distribution costs. I've been in this
situation in the real world. I once had to organise unboxing 100K TV
sets and replace a defective component in a TV manufacturers warehouse.
It was a very expensive experience. The high value defective components
were scrap. Volume manufacturing is a low margin business(unless you are
Apple), In one case I recall, on a Video recorder, where the line ran
at 100K a week, the net profit was 1% per item.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 07:52:41 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah the old left hand right hand issue again. I always worry about some
people guiding me as a blind person as half of the people say left when they
mean right if they happen to be facing the other way. I am glad such people
are not flying drones thats all.

My wife spends much of her working life in operating theatres.

If she's directing me, I frequently have to ask for clarification - "Do you
mean your right or the patient's right?".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 11:55:29 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
tim... wrote:

Businesses do not have the right to return goods at the suppliers
cost. It will depend on the contract, and as some pound shop stock is
bankrupt stock there may not even be a business to return them to.

They do when they are as big as Poundland and the branded product
is manufactured to the wrong specification! The supplier is also
frequently liable for Poundlands distribution costs. I've been in this
situation in the real world. I once had to organise unboxing 100K TV
sets and replace a defective component in a TV manufacturers warehouse.
It was a very expensive experience. The high value defective components
were scrap. Volume manufacturing is a low margin business(unless you are
Apple), In one case I recall, on a Video recorder, where the line ran
at 100K a week, the net profit was 1% per item.

I wonder how much Poundland stuff is bought from auction.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 14:38:20 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

I wonder how much Poundland stuff is bought from auction.

Almost none.

If that's the case their QC is crap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I wonder how much Poundland stuff is bought from auction.

Almost none.

If that's the case their QC is crap.

What QC?

NT

The customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

According to the program on the TV, the MO of Poundland (other pound shops
available) is to negotiate down on the price.

I would be very surprised if that wasn't at the expense of nicey-nicey terms
and conditions

and the branded product is manufactured to the wrong specification!

there's Poundland branded stock?

The supplier is also frequently liable for Poundlands distribution costs.

do you know that?

I've been in this situation in the real world.

working for Poundland, or someone else?

I once had to organise unboxing 100K TV sets and replace a defective
component in a TV manufacturers warehouse. It was a very expensive
experience. The high value defective components were scrap. Volume
manufacturing is a low margin business(unless you are Apple), In one case
I recall, on a Video recorder, where the line ran at 100K a week, the net
profit was 1% per item.

which is all irrelevant if its for a different store with a different MO

tim