Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering connector to electric hob cable?

For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the
control switch to the largest element.

The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector
attached to the hob ring. No doubt getting hot due to a poor connection.
It had been glowing red hot before it failed open circuit.

I have cleaned up the terminal as much as I can but it is not very easy
to buy a made up cable so I have ordered the materials to make one.

The cable will be attached to the connector by crimping. I don't have
the correct tool so I will just use pliers, or my mole grips, as best I can.

Is there any reason why I should not also solder the cable to the
connector, and perhaps also solder the connector to the ring.?
(Not so easy to undo, but I can live with that.)

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the
control switch to the largest element.

The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector
attached to the hob ring. No doubt getting hot due to a poor connection.
It had been glowing red hot before it failed open circuit.

I have cleaned up the terminal as much as I can but it is not very easy
to buy a made up cable so I have ordered the materials to make one.

The cable will be attached to the connector by crimping. I don't have
the correct tool so I will just use pliers, or my mole grips, as best I
can.

Is there any reason why I should not also solder the cable to the
connector, and perhaps also solder the connector to the ring.?
(Not so easy to undo, but I can live with that.)

It is vital to do a proper crimp even if you borrow the tool.
Solder will be useless at those temperatures.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 18:43:55 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:

For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the
control switch to the largest element.

The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector
attached to the hob ring. No doubt getting hot due to a poor connection.
It had been glowing red hot before it failed open circuit.

I have cleaned up the terminal as much as I can but it is not very easy
to buy a made up cable so I have ordered the materials to make one.

The cable will be attached to the connector by crimping. I don't have
the correct tool so I will just use pliers, or my mole grips, as best I can.

iffy

Is there any reason why I should not also solder the cable to the
connector, and perhaps also solder the connector to the ring.?
(Not so easy to undo, but I can live with that.)

Solder to a wire connected to a red hot hotplate? Seriously?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2016 18:43, Michael Chare wrote:
For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the
control switch to the largest element.

The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector
attached to the hob ring. No doubt getting hot due to a poor connection.
It had been glowing red hot before it failed open circuit.

I have cleaned up the terminal as much as I can but it is not very easy
to buy a made up cable so I have ordered the materials to make one.

The cable will be attached to the connector by crimping. I don't have
the correct tool so I will just use pliers, or my mole grips, as best I
can.

For high current applications at high temperature, you need to make sure
the crimps are good enough to be gas tight.

Is there any reason why I should not also solder the cable to the
connector, and perhaps also solder the connector to the ring.?

Yup, the solder will remelt when the element is on!

(Not so easy to undo, but I can live with that.)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2016 19:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/08/2016 18:43, Michael Chare wrote:
For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the
control switch to the largest element.

The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector
attached to the hob ring. No doubt getting hot due to a poor connection.
It had been glowing red hot before it failed open circuit.

I have cleaned up the terminal as much as I can but it is not very easy
to buy a made up cable so I have ordered the materials to make one.

The cable will be attached to the connector by crimping. I don't have
the correct tool so I will just use pliers, or my mole grips, as best I
can.

For high current applications at high temperature, you need to make sure
the crimps are good enough to be gas tight.

These are the crimp connectors that I have ordered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-HIGH-...AOSwl8NVXjH R

They are very similar to the original NEFF ones.
Does anyone know of a suitable crimp tool costing no more that £12.50

Screwfix have a product, but the shape of the connector means that you
would have to use a size near the end of the tool.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Crimp tools tend to be priced according to the volume of their production.
If not many are sold, a decent one won't be cheap. And you really do need
the correct tool for the job in this case, as a badly made crimp is
useless. And those flag type crimps are one of the most difficult to find
a decent tool for.

That size terminal (1/4" spade) is common on older cars too. The tool I
have for that which produces a perfect crimp cost 70 quid. But still
doesn't do flag types properly.

-

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 12:06:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

If you're able to find a choc-bloc insert large enough to accommodate
both the element end and the wire end overlapped, I would do that to
maximise the contact surface area.

I would be concerned that repeated thermal expansion/contraction cycles would make this solution unreliable.

Could one of the techniques being discussed in the Makita NiCad/NiMh thread be adapted to spot weld the connection?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Michael wrote:

[...]

Is the failure on solid or stranded wire? I'm not having
trouble on stranded up to yellow size crimps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 12:49:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 12:06:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

If you're able to find a choc-bloc insert large enough to accommodate
both the element end and the wire end overlapped, I would do that to
maximise the contact surface area.

I would be concerned that repeated thermal expansion/contraction cycles would make this solution unreliable.

it might well do - but it might work if done up real tight. A better bet than crimping with pliers anyway.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 18:43:55 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the
control switch to the largest element.

The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector
attached to the hob ring. No doubt getting hot due to a poor connection.
It had been glowing red hot before it failed open circuit.

I have cleaned up the terminal as much as I can but it is not very easy
to buy a made up cable so I have ordered the materials to make one.

The cable will be attached to the connector by crimping. I don't have
the correct tool so I will just use pliers, or my mole grips, as best I can.

Is there any reason why I should not also solder the cable to the
connector, and perhaps also solder the connector to the ring.?
(Not so easy to undo, but I can live with that.)

--

Can't be done. Too hot.
Alternative is brazing/silver soldering.

Cable Connector sargan UK diy 11 March 10th 13 06:12 PM
soldering on a connector, and then getting the top on. micky Electronics Repair 5 March 2nd 13 02:17 AM
Soldering onto ribbon connector Don[_11_] Electronics Repair 9 December 9th 08 02:08 PM
cable connector and lug crimpers jim UK diy 2 March 21st 07 11:12 AM
EHT cable connector broken. Davemar Electronics Repair 2 December 21st 04 07:42 PM