Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for restricted lock cylinders

I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 19:04:12 +0100
Caecilius wrote:

I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

I can't help with the key, but it sounds as though a CCTV system might
be a wise investment if there isn't one already.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 19:15:02 +0100, Davey
wrote:

I can't help with the key, but it sounds as though a CCTV system might
be a wise investment if there isn't one already.

I've already got a CCTV system; and outside office hours there's a
shutter over the door and an alarm system.

But thanks for the recommendation: it's true that a front door lock
alone is not everything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 19:04, Caecilius wrote:
I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

Just become acquainted with ABS locks - http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

We have six of their locks and they seem to work fine. But so they
should - they are all new. They have a restricted copying program - and
the keys actually have magnets in them. Price not known!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 19:04, Caecilius wrote:
I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 19:04:12 +0100, Caecilius wrote:

I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front door.
At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been told that
people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of the number
of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

Abloy is another one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 19:22, polygonum wrote:

Just become acquainted with ABS locks - http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

We have six of their locks and they seem to work fine. But so they
should - they are all new. They have a restricted copying program - and
the keys actually have magnets in them. Price not known!

I have those too.
They are still working fine after a few years.

They are about £30 each and you need the card to get keys cut.

They get a three star security rating without needing reinforced handles
like the yale ones do.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:

I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

I can't help with the key, but it sounds as though a CCTV system might
be a wise investment if there isn't one already.

a lock with a swipe card reader or a combination lock would prevent
unauthorised copying.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 20:32, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/07/2016 19:22, polygonum wrote:

Just become acquainted with ABS locks - http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

We have six of their locks and they seem to work fine. But so they
should - they are all new. They have a restricted copying program - and
the keys actually have magnets in them. Price not known!

I have those too.
They are still working fine after a few years.

They are about £30 each and you need the card to get keys cut.

They get a three star security rating without needing reinforced handles
like the yale ones do.

---

ABS +1
you get a ABS key code which can be used to order more keys online. Also
can be used to get additional locks keyed to the same key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 19:04, Caecilius wrote:
I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

Mul T Lock BS TS007 3 Star Integrator Euro Cylinder can't be copied by
your local lock smith.

I have just bought several from lockandkey.co.uk

You can ring them up.

The original Mul T Locks now can be copied.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 19:04, Caecilius wrote:
I've got an office where a group of people need keys to the front
door. At the moment it's a normal euro lock cylinder, but I've been
told that people are getting spare keys cut so I don't have control of
the number of keys in circulation.

I'm considering changing the cylinder for one with a restricted keyway
pattern to prevent this. Does anyone have any recommendation for good
examples? I've heard of Mul-T-Lock, but I don't know if they are any
good, or if other types might be better.

I'm only trying to prevent casual copying: I don't think there is
anything malicious going on, so anything that high-street key cutters
can't duplicate is probably sufficient.

Any 'proper' locksmith can supply a Euro cylinder with security keys.
The key blank is only available to that particular locksmith, nobody
else can get the blank to cut the key. High street key cutter wouldn't
know where to start. The locksmith will only cut a spare key with
written authorisation from you.

Euro cylinder around £60 - £80, keys around £8.

Trust your local professional locksmith with regard to make or brand.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:09:29 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

I'm looking for a simple mechanical lock really, as they seem more
secure with less chance to go wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jul 2016 19:29:54 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Abloy is another one.

Thanks for that. Abloy's lock and key system looks like a very good
solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:45:51 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

Any 'proper' locksmith can supply a Euro cylinder with security keys.
The key blank is only available to that particular locksmith, nobody
else can get the blank to cut the key. High street key cutter wouldn't
know where to start. The locksmith will only cut a spare key with
written authorisation from you.

That sounds like it would work.

Euro cylinder around £60 - £80, keys around £8.

That's a reasonable price.

Trust your local professional locksmith with regard to make or brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 07:56:00 +0100, Caecilius wrote:

On 28 Jul 2016 19:29:54 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Abloy is another one.

Thanks for that. Abloy's lock and key system looks like a very good
solution.

I should add that we used Abloy at work for years with no problems.

This was a college/hall of residence with nearly 600 student rooms, and a
load of offices and teaching rooms. I never came across a key being
copied. And, if you need it, mastering. I had two master keys that
handled the lot (one for student rooms, one for the rest, because we
needed to restrict access to one or the other).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 08:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 07:56:00 +0100, Caecilius wrote:

On 28 Jul 2016 19:29:54 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Abloy is another one.

Thanks for that. Abloy's lock and key system looks like a very good
solution.

I should add that we used Abloy at work for years with no problems.

This was a college/hall of residence with nearly 600 student rooms, and a
load of offices and teaching rooms. I never came across a key being
copied. And, if you need it, mastering. I had two master keys that
handled the lot (one for student rooms, one for the rest, because we
needed to restrict access to one or the other).

I can't get my head around this master key thing.
I look after two adjacent houses converted into 19 flats (they are huge
Victorian houses).

Each resident has a key that will open the front door of the house he
lives in and his flat door, but nothing else.

I have a key that opens both front doors and any flat!

The communal area cleaner has a key that opens both front doors but
nothing else.

How the 'kinell that works I don't know!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert" wrote in message ...

On 28/07/2016 20:32, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/07/2016 19:22, polygonum wrote:

Just become acquainted with ABS locks - http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

We have six of their locks and they seem to work fine. But so they
should - they are all new. They have a restricted copying program - and
the keys actually have magnets in them. Price not known!

I have those too.
They are still working fine after a few years.

They are about £30 each and you need the card to get keys cut.

They get a three star security rating without needing reinforced handles
like the yale ones do.

---

ABS +1
you get a ABS key code which can be used to order more keys online. Also
can be used to get additional locks keyed to the same key.

Looking at the ABS web site it all looks very good until one tiny weenie
problemette surfaces : The lock is designed to snap off leaving it in the
locked state, and is fitted with multiple anti-drilling rollers 'making
drilling impossible' however the lock can still be unlocked FROM INSIDE with
the key. What the heck happens when Mr Naughty sheers the lock off when
no-one is inside with a key - is the house sealed like a tomb for eternity !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/16 09:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Looking at the ABS web site it all looks very good until one tiny weenie
problemette surfaces : The lock is designed to snap off leaving it in
the locked state, and is fitted with multiple anti-drilling rollers
'making drilling impossible' however the lock can still be unlocked FROM
INSIDE with the key. What the heck happens when Mr Naughty sheers the
lock off when no-one is inside with a key - is the house sealed like a
tomb for eternity !

Easy. Mankind has thought about that. A wreaking ball on a JCB will get
into most places ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 09:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Looking at the ABS web site it all looks very good until one tiny weenie
problemette surfaces : The lock is designed to snap off leaving it in
the locked state, and is fitted with multiple anti-drilling rollers
'making drilling impossible' however the lock can still be unlocked FROM
INSIDE with the key. What the heck happens when Mr Naughty sheers the
lock off when no-one is inside with a key - is the house sealed like a
tomb for eternity !

Andrew

Cut hole in door panel with your cordless angle grinder* to reach in and
unlock?

*Don't leave home without it (TM)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert" wrote in message ...

[...]

How is that worse than any other way in which a lock has been destroyed
in place? ABS point out that this means it is at least feasible to
unlock from inside whereas other makes seem to get so totally destroyed
you don't even have that option.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Lang wrote:
[...]

At the amateur theatre I used to be involved with, the locks were specially
selected so that extra keys could not be cut because of special blanks.
Five years down the line, all keycutting shops carried them in stock.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-29, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 07:56:00 +0100, Caecilius wrote:

On 28 Jul 2016 19:29:54 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Abloy is another one.

Thanks for that. Abloy's lock and key system looks like a very good
solution.

I should add that we used Abloy at work for years with no problems.

This was a college/hall of residence with nearly 600 student rooms, and
a load of offices and teaching rooms. I never came across a key being
copied.

So, you didn't know *everything*. Phew.

Yeah, but the Abloys came in after you.

The earlier keys were really easy to turn into a master.

DAMHIK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:36:43 +0000, Huge wrote:

On 2016-07-29, David Lang wrote:
[...]

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...sehold-safety/

security/question710.htm

Multiple shear lines in the cylinder.

Yup, used that on locks in a (different) hall of residence to stop
cleaners coming in at an unearthly hour. Pick two pins with the same non-
master shear lines but different master shear lines, and swap them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jul 2016 11:32:10 GMT
Huge wrote:

Don't do what a friend did and take the thing to pieces to find out
how it works.

There are many ping****its inside a multi-level mastered cylinder
lock. We did get it working again, but there were a few bits left
over ...

Is that one of those cases where you try to catch fifty parts at the
same time as they all decide to fly for freedom?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 07:53, Caecilius wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:09:29 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

I'm looking for a simple mechanical lock really, as they seem more
secure with less chance to go wrong.

A simple mechanical lock will have a key that can be copied, albeit at
expense.

There are some door entry systems that operate on the "catch" side
leaving the conventional key side still operable.

Just that for "secure locks" with limited supply of blanks tend to be
expensive, and blanks exclusive for a limited time, and of course also
expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/07/2016 09:05, David Lang wrote:
Each resident has a key that will open the front door of the house he
lives in and his flat door, but nothing else.

I have a key that opens both front doors and any flat!

There are two different shear lines in each lock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-29, David Lang wrote:
[...]

BTDTGTTS.

Don't do what a friend did and take the thing to pieces to find out how
it works.

There are many ping****its inside a multi-level mastered cylinder lock.
We did get it working again, but there were a few bits left over ...

I made a jig, because we were doing quite a few (14 I think!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jul 2016 15:41:04 GMT

On 2016-07-29, Davey wrote:
On 29 Jul 2016 11:32:10 GMT
Huge wrote:

Don't do what a friend did and take the thing to pieces to find out
how it works.

There are many ping****its inside a multi-level mastered cylinder
lock. We did get it working again, but there were a few bits left
over ...

Is that one of those cases where you try to catch fifty parts at the
same time as they all decide to fly for freedom?

That's the one!

Morris Minor gearboxes were good for that, especially when disassembled
on a forecourt of concrete pads with gaps just larger than the ball
bearings.

Retrieval tool turned out to be a screwdriver with a dob of grease
on the end.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-29, Davey wrote:
On 29 Jul 2016 11:32:10 GMT Huge wrote:

Don't do what a friend did and take the thing to pieces to find out
how it works.

There are many ping****its inside a multi-level mastered cylinder
lock. We did get it working again, but there were a few bits left
over ...

Is that one of those cases where you try to catch fifty parts at the
same time as they all decide to fly for freedom?

That's the one!

Morris Minor gearboxes were good for that, especially when disassembled
on a forecourt of concrete pads with gaps just larger than the ball
bearings.

Worst one for me was a Humber Hawk gearbox.

I started by obtaining short lengths of mild steel in different sizes to
act as keepers. I remember having to stick a complete circle of needle
rollers to the inside of a bearing before refitting a shaft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 08:40, Chris Hogg wrote:

Both our front door and patio doors have keys that are different from
traditional keys, in that they are inserted flat into the lock, and
they have dimples drilled out in places along their length.

One set is by Yale, Superior series
See http://tinyurl.com/j4r9tp2 the other by Millenco Magnum
http://tinyurl.com/gqaf349 . Both are supplied with little cards if
spare keys are needed. The cards have codes that allows only
specialist locksmiths to make copies, so the keys themselves cannot be
simply copied by anyone just taking a key into a hardware shop, for
example.

Both are supposed to be anti-snap, anti-bump and pick-resistant, but I
found this rather alarming video http://tinyurl.com/h4tsljt

You really want a secure by design 3 star lock.

The yale one can get 3 stars but only with reinforced handle hardware.
I can't work out if the magnum has any stars.

These are pretty good

http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

They are not invincible but you probably need to pay a lot more for a
better one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote
Caecilius wrote
Fredxxx wrote

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

I'm looking for a simple mechanical lock really, as they seem more secure
with less chance to go wrong.

Mad IMO.

A simple mechanical lock will have a key that can be copied, albeit at
expense.

There are some door entry systems that operate on the "catch" side leaving
the conventional key side still operable.

And the last thing you need if there is a fire in the house etc
is to find that some arsehole has smashed the lock trying to
get in and that you can't get out and will have to die trying.

Just that for "secure locks" with limited supply of blanks tend to be
expensive, and blanks exclusive for a limited time, and of course also
expensive.

Yeah, a decent electronic lock fixes all that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 20:09, Fredxxx wrote:

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

The OP was worried about unauthorised copying of keys. Wouldn't the
above technology be equally abused with the tag (keys) being scanned by
a mobile phone and then being reprogrammed on tags available on Ebay for
10s of pence?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 19:59, Rod Speed wrote:

Yeah, a decent electronic lock fixes all that.

Until the power goes off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Fredxxx wrote

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something like
this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

The OP was worried about unauthorised copying of keys. Wouldn't the above
technology be equally abused with the tag (keys) being scanned by a mobile
phone and then being reprogrammed on tags available on Ebay for 10s of
pence?

Yes, but there are plenty of others that are completely secure, particularly
ones where particular phones are allowed to open the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yeah, a decent electronic lock fixes all that.

Until the power goes off.

The better ones work fine when the power is off
because they have an internal battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 22:48, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2016 20:09, Fredxxx wrote:

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

The OP was worried about unauthorised copying of keys. Wouldn't the
above technology be equally abused with the tag (keys) being scanned by
a mobile phone and then being reprogrammed on tags available on Ebay for
10s of pence?

Serious door entry systems have a password and a RFID key/fob/card.

The secure bit is that each key is unique and if a party copies one it's
obvious from records who has made the copy or is attributable to anyone
gaining entry.

It's also easy to bar a key if there is a nefarious copy becomes known.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote
alan_m wrote
Fredxxx wrote

I know this isn't compatible with Eurolocks, but how about something
like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rfid-Card-...-/281577437575

The OP was worried about unauthorised copying of keys. Wouldn't the
above technology be equally abused with the tag (keys) being scanned by a
mobile phone and then being reprogrammed on tags available on Ebay for
10s of pence?

Serious door entry systems have a password and a RFID key/fob/card.

The secure bit is that each key is unique and if a party copies one it's
obvious from records who has made the copy or is attributable to anyone
gaining entry.

It's also easy to bar a key if there is a nefarious copy becomes known.

And with more sophisticated systems that use a phone
instead of an RFID key/fob/card, they can't be copied.