Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nickel metal Hydride capacity

I am in the market for some new tripple a cells but nowadays there seems to
be so many with different Ah ratings of this size. Are there any drawbacks
for going for the highest capacity, or is self discharge a problem and one
needs to stick to something more reasonable.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I am in the market for some new tripple a cells but nowadays there seems to
be so many with different Ah ratings of this size. Are there any drawbacks
for going for the highest capacity, or is self discharge a problem and one
needs to stick to something more reasonable.

I think the higher capacity leads to fewer charge cycles, e.g. double A
2500mAh seem to be rated for 500 cycles where 2000mAh are rated for 1500
cycles, probably cut the capacity to just over one third for triple A.

Avoid LiDL which were previously good but their latest version struggles
to achieve half the rated capacity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 08:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Avoid LiDL which were previously good but their latest version struggles
to achieve half the rated capacity.

Isn't that the problem with a lot of stuff nowadays, its impossible to
tell whether the stuff you can get now is the same as that which you
bought say a year or so ago. I have assumed its because stuff is now
made in batches rather than on a continuous production line and next
years batch may be a different spec or even made by a different
manufacturer.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 07:59, Brian Gaff wrote:

I am in the market for some new tripple a cells but nowadays there seems to
be so many with different Ah ratings of this size. Are there any drawbacks
for going for the highest capacity, or is self discharge a problem and one
needs to stick to something more reasonable.

Depends a bit what you are using them for. In a highish current regular
use application then the highest capacity is probably ideal but in a
lower current intermittent use situation the low self discharge types
perform much better. I prefer low self discharge types myself since that
way they are ready for use when I need them. I found some old NiMH would
lose around half their charge by the time I needed them and was forced
to carry a set of secondary batteries as insurance in case the
rechargeables and spares all gave up in the field.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:23:47 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

====snip====

to carry a set of *primary* batteries as insurance in case the
rechargeables and spares all gave up in the field.

Fixed your post for you. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Need Nickel Wire? James T.[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 7th 14 03:40 AM
How to tell Nickel 99 from Nickel 55 [email protected] Metalworking 1 June 18th 12 04:13 AM
How to tell Nickel 99 from Nickel 55 Ned Simmons Metalworking 2 June 14th 12 11:46 PM
diy nickel plating? T i m UK diy 16 March 17th 08 01:32 PM
Two headed nickel jim Metalworking 17 September 3rd 03 12:00 AM