Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tough brass

This mornings task, was to make a 1" OD pulley for a small rope, which
raises the bin lids to make it easy to put rubbish in the wheelie bins
in their shed.

I fished out a bit of scrap brass which had some machining already done
on it previously, put it in the lath, turned a suitable groove around
the outer diameter, then tried to drill a hole down the centre. None of
the selection of drills would even mark the brass. After two hours
trying to drill the hole, I tried annealing it. Heated it up, plunged
it in cold water - made no difference, tried again, no difference.

I gave up and cut a fresh section of brass, job done in 20 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher wrote in news:nm3k76$125r$3
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 12/07/2016 20:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
This mornings task, was to make a 1" OD pulley for a small rope, which
raises the bin lids to make it easy to put rubbish in the wheelie bins
in their shed.

I fished out a bit of scrap brass which had some machining already done
on it previously, put it in the lath, turned a suitable groove around
the outer diameter, then tried to drill a hole down the centre. None of
the selection of drills would even mark the brass. After two hours
trying to drill the hole, I tried annealing it. Heated it up, plunged it
in cold water - made no difference, tried again, no difference.

I gave up and cut a fresh section of brass, job done in 20 minutes.

how breathtaking

Poor drill grinding!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/16 11:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
critcher wrote in news:nm3k76$125r$3
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 12/07/2016 20:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
This mornings task, was to make a 1" OD pulley for a small rope, which
raises the bin lids to make it easy to put rubbish in the wheelie bins
in their shed.

I fished out a bit of scrap brass which had some machining already done
on it previously, put it in the lath, turned a suitable groove around
the outer diameter, then tried to drill a hole down the centre. None of
the selection of drills would even mark the brass. After two hours
trying to drill the hole, I tried annealing it. Heated it up, plunged it
in cold water - made no difference, tried again, no difference.

I gave up and cut a fresh section of brass, job done in 20 minutes.

how breathtaking

Poor drill grinding!

maybe it was bronze, not brass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

Poor drill grinding!

Nope, I tried several, some brand new.

maybe it was bronze, not brass

That might be a possibility, how could I prove it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/16 17:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

Poor drill grinding!

Nope, I tried several, some brand new.

maybe it was bronze, not brass

That might be a possibility, how could I prove it?

Not sure.

phosphor bronze is HARD stuff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote
critcher wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

This mornings task, was to make a 1" OD pulley for
a small rope, which raises the bin lids to make it
easy to put rubbish in the wheelie bins in their shed.

I fished out a bit of scrap brass which had some machining already
done on it previously, put it in the lath, turned a suitable groove
around the outer diameter, then tried to drill a hole down the centre.
None of the selection of drills would even mark the brass. After two
hours trying to drill the hole, I tried annealing it. Heated it up,
plunged
it in cold water - made no difference, tried again, no difference.

I gave up and cut a fresh section of brass, job done in 20 minutes.

how breathtaking

Poor drill grinding!

Unlikely given that the different bit of brass could be drilled fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/13/2016 8:17 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/07/16 17:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

Poor drill grinding!

Nope, I tried several, some brand new.

maybe it was bronze, not brass

That might be a possibility, how could I prove it?

Not sure.

phosphor bronze is HARD stuff

Yes but it should machine and drill OK with a properly sharpened drill!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 21:11:57 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

maybe it was bronze, not brass
That might be a possibility, how could I prove it?

Not sure.
phosphor bronze is HARD stuff

Yes but it should machine and drill OK with a properly sharpened drill!

I made that mistake once. I was trying to cut a 5/8" BSP thread and it took
ages with a freshly ground tool. (I was making an A-pillar to DIN adapter
for SCUBA purposes. It really was hard work.

John