Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher - best products

Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday, I
am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote

Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday, I am
completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent and
rinse aid.

I dont use a rinse aid at all, but then my water is very soft.

I dont go for the most economical detergent, it
doesnt cost that much for the best performing stuff
bought at the best prices I can find, so use Finish.

I did find that some of the other ones I tried had downsides,
most obviously not producing gleaming glass but a slightly
cloudy glass when used over time so changed back to Finish.

I also dont do anything more than tip the stuff like chop
bones and uneaten bits of potato into the bin, and it takes
about 10 days to accumulate a load and so I need a good
performing detergent.

I do plan to try what Aldi flogs when my local opens,
they have just done the pushup concrete walls last week.

I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed rinse aid or rely
on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination tablets.

I dont bother with rinse aid at all, never have done.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

But may not matter much in practice if you are buying
the cheapest available like the best priced Finish tablets
or what Aldi sells.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 10:24:38 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

I am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

We're in a soft water area and use half a standard tablet (Tesco Value or similar) per load. Standard size dishwasher. No rinse aid, no salt. Works fine.

How would combination tablets work anyway? Surely after the wash part of the cycle, all the other parts of the tablet would be flushed out the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 22:50, mike wrote:
On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 10:24:38 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

I am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

We're in a soft water area and use half a standard tablet (Tesco Value or similar) per load. Standard size dishwasher. No rinse aid, no salt. Works fine.

How would combination tablets work anyway? Surely after the wash part of the cycle, all the other parts of the tablet would be flushed out the drain.

Thanks mike.

I too have been deeply sceptical of them - but they do seem to do
something, somehow.

Yes - it will be a low hardness area, thank goodness.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 22:50, mike wrote:
On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 10:24:38 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

I am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

We're in a soft water area and use half a standard tablet (Tesco Value or similar) per load. Standard size dishwasher. No rinse aid, no salt. Works fine.

How would combination tablets work anyway? Surely after the wash part of the cycle, all the other parts of the tablet would be flushed out the drain.

I use the Aldi 3 in 1 tablets which are cheap as chips and work a treat,
ultra hard water area. AIUI the components dissolve faster or slower so
they are used in the right order.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/07/2016 23:08, polygonum wrote:
On 09/07/2016 22:50, mike wrote:
[...]

We have soft water. Takes about 3 days to have full load, each day I put
on a rinse mode to keep the crap moist, when full I use eco cycle and
that does fine using the cheapest tablets I can find.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 22:24:37 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday, I
am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

I still fail to see how the 'salt' in tablets can regernerate the water
softener in the machine.

I use:

- Finish salt (in bulk from Costco)
- Finish rinse aid (from Costco) or the equivalent from Aldi
- bulk dushwasher detergent (5kg or 10g tub from CPC)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 23:43:52 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 22:24:37 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday, I
am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

I still fail to see how the 'salt' in tablets can regernerate the water
softener in the machine.

it doesn't, you still need to fill the salt reservoir.

I looked at separate chems, but tablets work out cheaper.
I've tried an array of brands from cheapo to finish and never found the slightest difference, so I use whatever's cheapest. I forget which it is currently, but look at tesco value, wilko and aldi.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 22:24:37 +0100
polygonum wrote:

Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday,
I am completely out of touch with the best and most economical
detergent and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to
use dispensed rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly
complicated combination tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets
formulated and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

We live in a Very Hard Water area, East Anglia, and use the three-part
things, made by a well-known name, for the dishwasher. The machine's
'Empty' lights for the salt and rinse-aid have been on for years, and
we get as perfect results as you could wish for.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2016 00:15, Davey wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 22:24:37 +0100
polygonum wrote:

Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday,
I am completely out of touch with the best and most economical
detergent and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to
use dispensed rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly
complicated combination tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets
formulated and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

We live in a Very Hard Water area, East Anglia, and use the three-part
things, made by a well-known name, for the dishwasher. The machine's
'Empty' lights for the salt and rinse-aid have been on for years, and
we get as perfect results as you could wish for.

+1 but in Kent.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 23:15, ss wrote:
We have soft water. Takes about 3 days to have full load, each day I put
on a rinse mode to keep the crap moist, when full I use eco cycle and
that does fine using the cheapest tablets I can find.

Sounds encouraging.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:01:30 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
On 10/07/2016 00:01, tabbypurr wrote:

I looked at separate chems, but tablets work out cheaper.
I've tried an array of brands from cheapo to finish and never found the slightest difference, so I use whatever's cheapest. I forget which it is currently, but look at tesco value, wilko and aldi.

As above, that is encouraging - will start on cheap and change only if
not happy.

I expect you'll want better, dishwashers aren't perfect, but as far as I've found so far there doesn't seem to be anything better, it's just marketing. Some tablets tout added stain removers, but I've never found stains an issue in dishwashing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum writes:
Not just a washing machine (see other post), but also a dishwasher!

Having not had one for twenty years, except the odd stay on holiday, I
am completely out of touch with the best and most economical detergent
and rinse aid. I don't even know whether it is better to use dispensed
rinse aid or rely on the seemingly impossibly complicated combination
tablets.

The dishwasher is an ordinary slimline one - so using tablets formulated
and sized for a full size machine feels wasteful.

Tablets are normally formulated for a large machine packed full
of grease. I buy detergent as powder (Sainsbury's) and that works
well, and I dose it according to contents. I buy tablets in bulk
from Costco for other parts of the family that can't handle the
concepts of using powder and topping up rinse aid and salt (or
cleaning the filters or anything else like that).

Rinse aid is used so slowly it doesn't really matter what you buy,
it works out as pretty much nothing per wash.

Salt is cheap anyway.

Also, dishwasher detergent (powder or liquid) is great for cleaning
other things, such as stainless steel kitchen sink, anything that
needs a deep degrease, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
polygonum wrote
tabbypurr wrote:

I looked at separate chems, but tablets work out cheaper.
I've tried an array of brands from cheapo to finish and never
found the slightest difference, so I use whatever's cheapest.
I forget which it is currently, but look at tesco value, wilko and aldi.

As above, that is encouraging - will start on cheap and change only if
not happy.

I expect you'll want better, dishwashers aren't perfect, but as far as
I've
found so far there doesn't seem to be anything better, it's just
marketing.

I know its not just marketing. One of the brands of dishwasher
tablets left a sort of cloudy haze on the glasses after repeated
cycles. That went away completely when I went back to Finish again.