Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot tub

My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 19:27:51 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No, generally it's just the occupants.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 19:49:39 +0100, wrote:

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 19:27:51 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No, generally it's just the occupants.

Oh they're loud alright (especially after much alcohol), but that tends to stop at 2am and they bugger off if it rains. The pump runs all bloody night. It reminds me of the noise my pond pump made (quite a large one to power a fountain and a decent waterfall) if the water got too low and it sucked in air. Leaving it running like that for any length of time ****ed the bearings.

--
A woman was standing at the edge of a cliff trying to get the nerve to jump off.
A homeless drunk stopped and mumbled, "If you're about to kill yourself, how about a shag before you go?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't
aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over
her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

TBH, they are great once in a while (eg above, on holiday - we went last
in winter, and I made a hot gluhwein punch and we sat in it getting mashed.

But I think they would be a bit of a PITA to actually own - the Forestry
bloke was around every day testing the water and they did a full
drain/refil once a week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/16 20:03, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 19:49:39 +0100, wrote:

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 19:27:51 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings.
And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she
wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street,
through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No, generally it's just the occupants.

Oh they're loud alright (especially after much alcohol), but that tends
to stop at 2am and they bugger off if it rains.

Pooftahs. Rain and slow is the best time to be in one. You're wet and
warm. The air is cold. It's a marvellous thing to do.

The pump runs all
bloody night. It reminds me of the noise my pond pump made (quite a
large one to power a fountain and a decent waterfall) if the water got
too low and it sucked in air. Leaving it running like that for any
length of time ****ed the bearings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 21:07:52 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't
aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over
her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

Why did I think that was where I'd been in Scotland? Must be a similar name.

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

I have never heard water, just a pump that sounds laboured.

Come to think of it I've heard someone else's a year ago, and there was just a very faint bubbling noise.

TBH, they are great once in a while (eg above, on holiday - we went last
in winter, and I made a hot gluhwein punch and we sat in it getting mashed.

The above neighbours are always mashed, or they sound like it anyway.

But I think they would be a bit of a PITA to actually own - the Forestry
bloke was around every day testing the water and they did a full
drain/refil once a week.

Don't you just chlorinate it and use a filter?

--
A "Frisbeterian" believes that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it back down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 21:08:45 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/07/16 20:03, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 19:49:39 +0100, wrote:

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 19:27:51 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings.
And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she
wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street,
through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No, generally it's just the occupants.

Oh they're loud alright (especially after much alcohol), but that tends
to stop at 2am and they bugger off if it rains.

Pooftahs. Rain and slow is the best time to be in one. You're wet and
warm. The air is cold. It's a marvellous thing to do.

The hot tub is a new thing. I was referring to outdoor parties/BBQs etc for the drunken cackling.

The pump runs all
bloody night. It reminds me of the noise my pond pump made (quite a
large one to power a fountain and a decent waterfall) if the water got
too low and it sucked in air. Leaving it running like that for any
length of time ****ed the bearings.

--
There is a big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition, the foetus is not considered viable until it graduates from law school.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 21:07:52 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7.
Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

As Wilkinson is Phucker then it is likely that he is confusing a hot
tub with an aeration pond in the sewage works adjacent to the Hovel he
lives in.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7.
Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

As Wilkinson is Phucker then it is likely that he is confusing a hot
tub with an aeration pond in the sewage works adjacent to the Hovel he
lives in.

No, M'neighbour said it's a hot tub.

--
If you want a stable relationship....buy a horse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7.
Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

As Wilkinson is Phucker then it is likely that he is confusing a hot
tub with an aeration pond in the sewage works adjacent to the Hovel he
lives in.

Absolutely correct.
I dunno who is the most stupid, him or his Aussie mentor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah Cavitations, that famous Cliff song that did not win Eurovision.

Often the sound of these things is down to a poor choice of mounting. I have
seen them mounted in decking with the pump also attached to part of the
decking, the result is a sounding board effect.

Surely unless they are deaf they should be driven mad as well, and who
leaves the thing going when its not needed, do they have free electricity?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7.
Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

As Wilkinson is Phucker then it is likely that he is confusing a hot
tub with an aeration pond in the sewage works adjacent to the Hovel he
lives in.

No, M'neighbour said it's a hot tub.

Put some bubble bath stuff in it one dark night? Spectacular in the
fountains in Trafalgar Square! http://tinyurl.com/zxg45mz

I can remember wiring up a hot tub for thick ****.

The tub was then filled with water and the chemicals needed to be added. I
was doing the calculations of the "chlorine powder" and had just come up
with 2 teaspoons worth when he said "**** it I'll just throw the lot in" -
and he did.

The fire brigade had to clear the mess up and he nearly killed his dogs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7.
Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

As Wilkinson is Phucker then it is likely that he is confusing a hot
tub with an aeration pond in the sewage works adjacent to the Hovel he
lives in.

No, M'neighbour said it's a hot tub.

Put some bubble bath stuff in it one dark night? Spectacular in the
fountains in Trafalgar Square! http://tinyurl.com/zxg45mz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...arty-dare.html

Sounds fun. The fountain had to be turned off? A bit of foam wouldn't damage the pump surely?

--
Arriving home unexpectedly early from a business trip, the tired executive was shocked to discover his wife in bed with his next door neighbour.
"Since you are in bed with my wife," the furious man shouted, "I'm going over to sleep with yours!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Why would you need the fire brigade for something that simple?

--
Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was wondering why it didn't **** them off. Although when I went round to complain, his wife answered the door. I said "Can I ask what that thing is in your garden that sounds like an engine?" She said "Hot tub". I said "I can hear it at night in my bedroom with the window closed". She said "I'll get him to turn it off at night".

I assume they leave the heater on so they don't have to wait to get it up to temperature. And the heater requires movement of water. You'd think there could be a lower setting for that though, when bubbles aren't needed.

Mind you in the middle of summer, why would you want to heat it? Even lakes are almost swimming pool temperature (last one I measured was 19C)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 10:29:42 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Ah Cavitations, that famous Cliff song that did not win Eurovision.

Often the sound of these things is down to a poor choice of mounting. I have
seen them mounted in decking with the pump also attached to part of the
decking, the result is a sounding board effect.

Surely unless they are deaf they should be driven mad as well, and who
leaves the thing going when its not needed, do they have free electricity?
Brian

--
A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/16 13:38, James Wilkinson wrote:
I was wondering why it didn't **** them off. Although when I went round
to complain, his wife answered the door. I said "Can I ask what that
thing is in your garden that sounds like an engine?" She said "Hot
tub". I said "I can hear it at night in my bedroom with the window
closed". She said "I'll get him to turn it off at night".

I assume they leave the heater on so they don't have to wait to get it
up to temperature. And the heater requires movement of water. You'd
think there could be a lower setting for that though, when bubbles
aren't needed.

Mind you in the middle of summer, why would you want to heat it? Even
lakes are almost swimming pool temperature (last one I measured was 19C)

Because hot tubs need to be near body temperature to be nice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 14:39:27 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/07/16 13:38, James Wilkinson wrote:
I was wondering why it didn't **** them off. Although when I went round
to complain, his wife answered the door. I said "Can I ask what that
thing is in your garden that sounds like an engine?" She said "Hot
tub". I said "I can hear it at night in my bedroom with the window
closed". She said "I'll get him to turn it off at night".

I assume they leave the heater on so they don't have to wait to get it
up to temperature. And the heater requires movement of water. You'd
think there could be a lower setting for that though, when bubbles
aren't needed.

Mind you in the middle of summer, why would you want to heat it? Even
lakes are almost swimming pool temperature (last one I measured was 19C)

Because hot tubs need to be near body temperature to be nice.

If you're surrounded by body temperature water, the heat your body generates cannot escape, and you'd overheat. I'd not call that comfortable.

When swimming, I prefer 15C or less. If just sitting around in a pool, 20C or less. Remember, you can't sweat in water to cool down.

--
There was a rabbi who collected foreskins, had them dried out and made into a wallet - whenever you stroked the wallet it became a briefcase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 14:39:27 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/07/16 13:38, James Wilkinson wrote:
I was wondering why it didn't **** them off. Although when I went round
to complain, his wife answered the door. I said "Can I ask what that
thing is in your garden that sounds like an engine?" She said "Hot
tub". I said "I can hear it at night in my bedroom with the window
closed". She said "I'll get him to turn it off at night".

I assume they leave the heater on so they don't have to wait to get it
up to temperature. And the heater requires movement of water. You'd
think there could be a lower setting for that though, when bubbles
aren't needed.

Mind you in the middle of summer, why would you want to heat it? Even
lakes are almost swimming pool temperature (last one I measured was 19C)

Because hot tubs need to be near body temperature to be nice.

Have you never sat in a waterfall and enjoyed it?

--
Make like a post-it note and stick around....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/16 14:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Oh do bugger off Wodney.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 17:08:50 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I'm not Wodney. Aussies are pussies used to tropical weather and die below 10C ambient.

--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 19:07:05 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 10/07/2016 13:39, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 07:38:37 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 July 2016 19:27:51 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden.
It sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's
bearings. And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained
politely, she wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from
her street, through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No, generally it's just the occupants.

Not always loud occupants. My partner's uncle took to a hot tub in the
last few months/years of his life - after he was widowed. Seemed to
really appreciate it.

Unfortunately he then died in his hot tub - and was not found for a few
days. Very, very not loud then.

Did the hot tub kill him or did he just happen to be in it?

No-one knows if it contributed or not. Circumstances made an inquest
necessary but given his age, his health record (he was hypothyroid and
almost certainly under-medicated), etc., it really wasn't a completely
unexpected death.

An inquest into who? The manufacturer, incase the jets magically started sucking instead of blowing and took him under the surface? A relative pushing him under?

--
It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It's Phucker, the clown of usenet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

PKB.

--
The Royal Family have been declared bankrupt after receiving Richard III's parking fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
[...]

Inquests are held into deaths not products.

"An inquest is a legal investigation to establish the circumstances
surrounding a persons death, including how, when and why the death
occurred.

In some cases, an inquest will also try to establish the deceased
person's identity.

The investigation is held in public at a coroners court in cases whe

a death was sudden, violent or unnatural
a death occurred in prison or police custody
the cause of death is still unknown after a post-mortem (where a
body is examined after death)

A coroner's court is a legal body that helps determine how, when and why
a person died. Coroners are independent judicial officers who are
usually lawyers or doctors with appropriate training in law.

Unlike criminal trials, inquests don't try to establish whether anyone
was responsible for a persons death. Evidence is given by witnesses but
there's no prosecution or defence.

When an inquest is held, the coroner must inform the deceased person's
next of kin or personal representative. "

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/16 19:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It
sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And
they leave it running 24/7.
Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full
power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise
lying in one is no fun.

As Wilkinson is Phucker then it is likely that he is confusing a hot
tub with an aeration pond in the sewage works adjacent to the Hovel he
lives in.

No, M'neighbour said it's a hot tub.

Put some bubble bath stuff in it one dark night? Spectacular in the
fountains in Trafalgar Square! http://tinyurl.com/zxg45mz

They might well retaliate by putting the cat amongst the parrots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That wouldn't work, as their cat is actually mine but they adopted it.

--
Please be bending short long rod before inserting the output firmly inwards to save health unwellness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
[...]

Ah, so just fact finding then. In that case don't they do that with every death? If not why not?

--
A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy's bushes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote

Aussies are pussies used to tropical weather and die below 10C ambient.

Damn, could have sworn it didn't get above 10C a couple
of days ago and I appear to have survived that fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote

I saw an outdoor pool in Aussie news once where children were not permitted to use it if it was under 20C for fear of them dying or contracting pneumonia or some such bull****.

--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
[...]

An inquest into his death.

The manufacturer, incase the jets magically started sucking instead of
blowing and took him under the surface?

Not even possible to determine that.

A relative pushing him under?

Or that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

All they need to do is adopt another and put that amongst the parrots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
[...]

Because most of the time the person's doctor
signs the death certificate and says why they died.

If not why not?

Much too expensive to be feasible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

Aussies are pussies used to tropical weather and die below 10C ambient.

Damn, could have sworn it didn't get above 10C a couple
of days ago and I appear to have survived that fine.

I saw an outdoor pool in Aussie news once where children
were not permitted to use it if it was under 20C for fear of
them dying or contracting pneumonia or some such bull****.

Just another hoax article in some pommy ****
rag and you were too stupid to even notice.

I vividly remember going for a swim in the local
pool early one summer and it was so ****ing cold
I thought my heart might stop. The school kids were
all there getting swimming lessons at the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
[...]

Very easy. Where is the water, is the motor damaged, is there a short somewhere that could have reversed the direction of water?

A relative pushing him under?

Or that.

Bruise marks. Or everyone would be doing it.

--
Join the Navy and feel a man!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/07/2016 19:49, wrote:
[...]

Very easy.

Nope.

Where is the water,

It would remain in the hot tub regardless.

is the motor damaged,

No reason why it would be damaged by running backwards.

is there a short somewhere that could have reversed the direction of
water?

There can't ever be.

A relative pushing him under?

Or that.

Bruise marks.

Trivially avoid by using a small cushion to push his
head under the water and taking it away with you.

Or everyone would be doing it.

Nope, because most don't have any reason to kill their relative
or even someone they know who happens to use a hot tub.

Even you haven't done that with your back
neighbour so you can turn theirs off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 22:58:18 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

Aussies are pussies used to tropical weather and die below 10C ambient.

Damn, could have sworn it didn't get above 10C a couple
of days ago and I appear to have survived that fine.

I saw an outdoor pool in Aussie news once where children
were not permitted to use it if it was under 20C for fear of
them dying or contracting pneumonia or some such bull****.

Just another hoax article in some pommy ****
rag and you were too stupid to even notice.

Looks like Southampton over here went mad in this way too:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...officials.html

Holy ****! Look at these temperatures, what are they trying to do, melt the customers? The coolest is 27C, you'd be pouring with sweat!
http://www.ozswimmingholes.com/wa_warm.htm

You just proved my point - "so ****ing cold I thought my heart might stop" - so you are a wimp.

--
Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?