Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keeping the screw in the WH40 soldering iron from getting stuck(again)

A few years ago, I got a Weller WHS40 soldering unit, which was
excellent until the tip "decayed". I got some replacements & then
discovered the set screw that holds the tip in place was totally
frozen. Unfortunately it has a tiny slot in it, & I ended up chewing
up the ends of all the screwdrivers that would fit, without success.

I then discovered that the manual recommends loosening the screw
frequently to keep it from getting stuck. I also found out from
searching the WWW that this is a common problem, & some people
recommend replacing the original screw with a hex head screw of the
same thread.

I gave up & ordered a new soldering iron (just the iron itself, to
plug into the base), which should arrive any day now. I don't want to
ruin another one, so...

Should I grease the screw threads with something to prevent sticking
(& if so, what) or will anything on the threads end up getting cooked
& making it jam up? (Stuff I have in stock in the house includes
silicone grease, very old lithium grease, & some copper-based stuff
for keeping threads on bike components from freezing, as well as the
usual WD40.)

Should I just loosen the screw after every use & store it that way?

Is there any reason not to replace the set screw that goes all the way
into the tip-holder with a screw with the same thread but a head (with
a hex hole) that will sit outside the tip-holder of the iron?

Thanks,
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 13:18:30 +0100
Adam Funk wrote:

[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-CO...-/230906577316

or others suggested on that page.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I then discovered that the manual recommends loosening the screw
frequently to keep it from getting stuck. I also found out from
searching the WWW that this is a common problem, & some people
recommend replacing the original screw with a hex head screw of the
same thread.

All such screws subjected to extremes of heat will seize eventually. So
take the maker's advice and undo/redo once in a while.

I gave up & ordered a new soldering iron (just the iron itself, to
plug into the base), which should arrive any day now. I don't want to
ruin another one, so...

No replaceable element?

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, when I could see I had this issue with a Tandy iron, which was
probably a badged Weller, and did replace the screw with a hex head, but it
still eventually got jammed. I'd imagine the dis similar materials have
something to do with this. No type of lubricant I tried did much except make
a terrible pong.

If you are disciplined enough to wait for it to cool after use and give it a
few turns in and out then I guess this will help but one forgets after a
while.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
Should I grease the screw threads with something to prevent sticking
(& if so, what) or will anything on the threads end up getting cooked
& making it jam up? (Stuff I have in stock in the house includes
silicone grease, very old lithium grease, & some copper-based stuff
for keeping threads on bike components from freezing, as well as the
usual WD40.)

I use high temperature anti-seize grease on some screw threads which
go into the boiler heat exchanger, and that seems to work so that
they easily undo when I open it for cleaning every ~4 years or so.
It's called Loctite C5-A and comes in a pritt stick dispenser.
Claims to work up to 980C. I think it came from BES some time ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 July 2016 13:30:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

I'd get a decent iron.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'd get a decent iron.

True. Antex bits simply pull off. No screws. And you can replace the
element too - should that fail. So no need to buy a complete new one.

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-04, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I'd get a decent iron.

True. Antex bits simply pull off. No screws. And you can replace the
element too - should that fail. So no need to buy a complete new one.

I'll remember that for next time. Oh well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Copaslip.
https://www.proweld.ie/product/4694/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:23:29 -0700 (PDT)
harry wrote:

[...]

I think you'll find that that has already been suggested.

--
Davey.