Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default My new Indesit double oven has weird connections!

I won't be installing it myself, but as a matter of interest, I lifted
the black plastic cover on the back panel just to have a look at the
connection screws, and these seem to *tighten* by undoing them!!

What gives?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:43:57 +0100, MM wrote:

I won't be installing it myself, but as a matter of interest, I lifted
the black plastic cover on the back panel just to have a look at the
connection screws, and these seem to *tighten* by undoing them!!

What gives?

MM

PS: This is what it looks like:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/in...inal_block.jpg

There are three hex screws.

I can't see (and the installation instructions don't say) where the
wires are supposed to be fed in.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2016 12:01, MM wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:43:57 +0100, MM wrote:

I won't be installing it myself, but as a matter of interest, I lifted
the black plastic cover on the back panel just to have a look at the
connection screws, and these seem to *tighten* by undoing them!!

What gives?

They are probably "cage" style terminals, where as you tighten the screw
it draws the cage "up". That can look like tightening is opening the
terminal until you realise the wires go above the bottom of the cage.

PS: This is what it looks like:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/in...inal_block.jpg

There are three hex screws.

I can't see (and the installation instructions don't say) where the
wires are supposed to be fed in.

By those little ramp like bits.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/21/2016 12:23 PM, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/06/2016 12:01, MM wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:43:57 +0100, MM wrote:

I won't be installing it myself, but as a matter of interest, I lifted
the black plastic cover on the back panel just to have a look at the
connection screws, and these seem to *tighten* by undoing them!!

What gives?

They are probably "cage" style terminals, where as you tighten the screw
it draws the cage "up". That can look like tightening is opening the
terminal until you realise the wires go above the bottom of the cage.

My thoughts too, and consistent with that image (although I confess I
hadn't seen that exact design before).

PS: This is what it looks like:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/in...inal_block.jpg

There are three hex screws.

I can't see (and the installation instructions don't say) where the
wires are supposed to be fed in.

By those little ramp like bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 21/06/2016 12:01, MM wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:43:57 +0100, MM wrote:

I won't be installing it myself, but as a matter of interest, I lifted
the black plastic cover on the back panel just to have a look at the
connection screws, and these seem to *tighten* by undoing them!!

What gives?

They are probably "cage" style terminals, where as you tighten the screw
it draws the cage "up". That can look like tightening is opening the
terminal until you realise the wires go above the bottom of the cage.

My thoughts too, and consistent with that image (although I confess I
hadn't seen that exact design before).

PS: This is what it looks like:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/in...inal_block.jpg

There are three hex screws.

I can't see (and the installation instructions don't say) where the
wires are supposed to be fed in.

By those little ramp like bits.

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

£30 for less than an hours work and a bit of free scrap? Yes I have seen the
smilie.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

£30 for less than an hours work and a bit of free scrap? Yes I have seen the
smilie.

Much scrap value in old ovens? Can imagine that there's much metal in them.
Just curious.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:12:16 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

He's local and doesn't charge the earth like companies with huge
numbers of staff and a fleet of Check-a-trade Transits to pay for.

I think it's very bad for complete strangers to denigrate all local
tradesmen like you did.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

He's local and doesn't charge the earth like companies with huge
numbers of staff and a fleet of Check-a-trade Transits to pay for.

I think it's very bad for complete strangers to denigrate all local
tradesmen like you did.

MM

Not all, but I think everyone employing a tradesman needs to be aware of
the problems of flytipping. It happens, a lot.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:49:54 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

£30 for less than an hours work and a bit of free scrap? Yes I have seen the
smilie.

He didn't ~have~ to take the old one away.It did it purely as a
convenience to me. I had told him already that the shop, also local,
not internet, was going to collect the old one in a few days, but he
said, nah, let's just get rid of it now, job done. So what was in it
for him ("Tim" might be the better one to ask this) to go to the
bother of carrying the old one to his van if he was just going to
fly-tip it, which I don't believe for a single moment, if I already
had the option of free collection by the shop?

And yes, it was less than an hour. I reckon he and his apprentice were
here for about 40 minutes in total, possibly slightly less. I was
perfectly happy with £30.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

[...]

If he hadn't factored in a disposal cost before quoting your price then
it's not unreasonable to suspect that his disposal cost is going to be
zero, either because of scrap value or he's going to fly tip it. The
incentive for him is more trade from customers like you who don't ask
questions and recommend him to friends and neighbours "because he takes
your old stuff away".

Still waiting for anyone who knows the value of a scrap double oven. Maybe
it would cover expenses but I'm doubtful.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2016 9:11 AM, Tim+ wrote:

Still waiting for anyone who knows the value of a scrap double oven. Maybe
it would cover expenses but I'm doubtful.

Tim

There is a guy locally who raises funds for a community project by
collecting scrap, I hope to see him in the next few days and will ask.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

He's local and doesn't charge the earth like companies with huge
numbers of staff and a fleet of Check-a-trade Transits to pay for.

I think it's very bad for complete strangers to denigrate all local
tradesmen like you did.

MM

Not all, but I think everyone employing a tradesman needs to be aware of
the problems of flytipping. It happens, a lot.

Tim

It's a good point, and easily checked: See if he's on:

https://environment.data.gov.uk/publ...ter/view/index

otherwise, it's illegal for him to transfer waste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

[...]

Probably just scrap steel prices... not looked recently, but last time I
did it was about 12p/kg. So I suppose an oven could be worth £2 - £3 if
you re lucky.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

[...]

I suppose if they save up a few items for a single trip to the scrappies it
would be worth doing.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

[...]

So you're STILL accusing local workmen of being criminals, then.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time
at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

£30 for less than an hours work and a bit of free scrap? Yes I have seen
the
smilie.

He didn't ~have~ to take the old one away.It did it purely as a
convenience to me.

Sounds more like he did it to make about £1.50 to £2.00. Throw it with the
rest of the scrap he can save over the year and then take it all in one go
to the scrapyard and it could easily be a couple of hundred beer tokens.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
wrote:

MM wrote:

[...]

It's not waste:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

[...]

Well people round here come round collecting things like old
cookers, radiators, anything metal really, not just copper etc.
So presumably there is enough money in it to make it worth
it

Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:

[...]

Or maybe he's thinking that he can Ebay parts of it as spares - handles,
knobs, timer, glass doors, etc.

Indesit Oven DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 5 October 9th 14 06:29 PM
I have a very old 40 year old Thermadore Double Oven.. I am trying tochange the oven cables but need help KOS Home Repair 2 July 21st 11 01:47 AM
Indesit Oven fault Stuart B UK diy 2 September 29th 07 12:09 PM
How do you use an Indesit FV10KIXGB Oven with no temp markings?! Help! Rae Home Repair 3 July 14th 05 09:50 PM
Double oven: grill underneath main oven? Matthew Newton UK diy 5 June 9th 04 09:11 PM