Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default High(ish) pressure pipe clips

I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

Andrew

Dual eared O clips any good?

Jubilee clips aren't much good for such small diameters as the close
with quite a pronounced D shape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message ...

I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

Andrew

Double ear clip in a suitable size:

http://tinyurl.com/zlwow5v

Set using pincers

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

The neatest would be some form of crimp. Any removable clip is not going
to look as good. Does the spigot into the pump body unscrew? If so,
replace the entire hose?

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:41:33 +0100, Andrew May
wrote:

I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

I have done temporary repairs [1] by tightly binding some copper wire
around the hose a few turns, then carefully twisting the ends together
with some pliers (easy to overdo it and snap the wire) then trim the
wire off leaving a few mm (about 6 turns worth min) and then lay it
flat over the binding.

You can then make it look pretty with some insulating tape,
self-amalgamating tape or the heat shrink you put over the hose before
you started. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] That often outlasted the other hardware. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2016 14:13, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

Andrew

Dual eared O clips any good?

Jubilee clips aren't much good for such small diameters as the close
with quite a pronounced D shape.

Looks like it might. If these are the ones Andrew Mawson pointed to are
they installed by squeezing across the long axis?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre
connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks
like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and
has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could
probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The
pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

Andrew

Dual eared O clips any good?

Jubilee clips aren't much good for such small diameters as the close
with quite a pronounced D shape.

Looks like it might. If these are the ones Andrew Mawson pointed to are
they installed by squeezing across the long axis?

Does this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T83W2QrYGbM

Although you can buy the proper tool on ebay etc, I reckon a pair of
carpenters pincers should do the job just as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2016 16:33, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew May wrote:

Looks like it might. If these are the ones Andrew Mawson pointed to are
they installed by squeezing across the long axis?

Does this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T83W2QrYGbM

Although you can buy the proper tool on ebay etc, I reckon a pair of
carpenters pincers should do the job just as well.

Helps a lot. Not at all what I imagined. I was thinking along the lines
of squeezing across the lobes to sprint the clip out before putting the
pipe in and releasing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

Dual eared O clips any good?

Looks like it might. If these are the ones Andrew Mawson pointed to are
they installed by squeezing across the long axis?

No, you nip each ear with e.g. pincers.

https://youtu.be/T83W2QrYGbM?t=1m19s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

Looks like it might. If these are the ones Andrew Mawson pointed to are
they installed by squeezing across the long axis?
Does this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T83W2QrYGbM

Although you can buy the proper tool on ebay etc, I reckon a pair of
carpenters pincers should do the job just as well.

Helps a lot. Not at all what I imagined. I was thinking along the lines
of squeezing across the lobes to sprint the clip out before putting the
pipe in and releasing.

sprint = spring

You squeeze each ear with pincers thus reducing the circumference of the
clip. I have the proper tool, and it's handy when the pipe is in a confined
space, but as Bob Minchin says carpenters pincers are just as good if, as in
your case, access isn't an issue.

Don try pliers - they slip off the ears and you end up with blood
blisters - AMHIK

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

I agree, the ebay tool I bought for a fuel pipe job was hopelessly soft.
(Drive shaft gaiter clips with a single "ear" really need a different
tool which also presses in the middle bit).